Boeing Vertol CH-46 / KV-107 family

modelling minion

This topic is a bit of a beg to be honest, but we will get to that later.

This family of helicopters has appealed to me for a long time but has always seemed like the Chinook's poor cousin in terms of public perception and for the life of me I cannot figure out why. This helicopter has done, and continues to do, almost everything that has ever been asked of a helo from troop transport to fleet replenishment to SAR and putting out fires and much more. It comes in several versions and in some cracking colour schemes, lets take a look at some of them;

There's the US Navy

37676510405_0c0c3f4fbc_o_d.jpg

Now that is a standard some would say boring over all grey, but there is nothing boring about this one!

38532955192_47ba343dbf_b_d.jpg

Colourful enough for you?

And then there is the USMC, the largest operator of the "Phrog" who only recently replaced them, they came in green;

38532917692_fc9b2193de_o_d.jpg

As used in Vietnam, incidentally a Marines CH-46 was the last helo to depart from the US embassy in Saigon.

Then there were the multi-coloured camo ones like this;

37676516615_635d5c2101_o_d.jpg

As used in the Gulf War. And then there were the colourful rescue versions, a scheme also used by the US Navy;

38532953432_1de25062fd_o_d.png

And lets not the forget the KV-107's built in Japan and used by the JASDF;

38532935362_819a2c805b_o_d.jpg

The JMSDF;

37676499155_bbef36f037_o_d.jpg

And the JGSDF.

37676507915_d3d1b722a6_o_d.jpg

They were also used by Sweden in the awesome splinter camo (as well as just green);

26788596319_ffdc460cf5_o_d.jpg

There was Thailand;

37676506115_9eeb4f7b4d_b_d.jpg

And Saudi Arabia;

37676513385_f20e9ec12c_o_d.jpg

And I know it never carried the red, white and blue roundels of the UK but you cannot get more red,white and blue than this one!;

26788594849_e594da3925_o_d.jpg

Or a nice yellow one;

38532921262_99f058a744_o_d.jpg

So my question is this.

Why not build one?

I have a thread running for a STGB and we need support if we are to make the numbers required. We are only 3 short of the 25 needed and we would really like for this one to go ahead as it is for something a bit different from the normal Spitfires,109's,Mustangs,Phantoms and the like, not that there is anything wrong with those as i build them myself but just for a change lets fill a STGB slot with something different and quite colourful.

If you feel like putting your name down then pop along to the proposal in this link;

Your support will be greatly appreciated.

Craig.

• Like 5

Hello Craig, I hope you get your numbers for this build. Ive been a fan of these for years as well as there big brother the Chinook. I sadly have had zero luck with Helicopter models in my life. I always seem to break the support arms for the main Rotor. My ham fisted fingers just dont do well with them. I have an unfinished huey sitting in my box of shame. And i drool about the idea of scratch-building an S-58T that lives just a few miles from me. But hesitate because of my horrible luck. Maybe if i get brave enough i will join this ?

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Maybe if i get brave enough i will join this

Put your name down Dennis!

None of us claim to be experts and we all make mistakes and have trouble along the way, you will be in good company I assure you!

The good thing about the CH-46 is that it basically builds up as just a fuselage and the rotors go on afterwards and can be left loose, makes painting a lot easier!

Come on mate join in and we can muddle our way through some builds in good company.

Craig.

6 minutes ago, Robertone139 said:

I am in, what about a civilian version...

Welcome aboard!

I was hoping someone would build a civilian one but didn't post pictures here as it is in the Cold War section.

I shall add your name to the list, the GB has now been moved to the "future GB's" section where you will find more chat on the subject and the dates for this to happen.

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:58 PM, modelling minion said:

seemed like the Chinook's poor cousin in terms of public perception and for the life of me I cannot figure out why

I agree, mate. The Chinook is pretty plain by comparison. I'd go for an H-46/107 any day. It flies well, looks great from all angles. It sits nice on the ground and not flat like the Chinook. I know there are some Chinook fans out there who will disagree - we all have favourites ;)

Martin

• Like 1

On 21/11/2017 at 10:39 PM, modelling minion said:

There is always room for more as 25 is only the minimum required so please feel free to join in, you will all be made welcome.

Challenge accepted! I have three kits I want to build one day so I welcome this STGB for a change.

Fabio

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

we all have favourites ;)

Indeed we do Martin and it would be a very boring hobby and world if we all thought the same way.

I like the Chinook too but there is something about the CH-46 which makes it appeal to me a bit more.

1 hour ago, Whirly said:

Challenge accepted! I have three kits I want to build one day so I welcome this STGB for a change.

Fabio

Very pleased to have you join in Fabio.

Like a few of us you have more than 1 kit in your stash, do you plan on building more than 1 for the STGB?

On 11/24/2017 at 4:30 PM, Whirly said:

Yes, sorry for not specifying: I would certainly do a JASDF KV-107II-5 in rescue colours.

A popular and excellent choice Fabio, I look forward to it.

18 hours ago, modelldoc said:

Classic Kits from Germany made this:

Vertol 107

modelldoc

Well found, I wasn't aware of this one.

Fancy joining in?

16 hours ago, andyf117 said:

I'd say count me in, as I've half-a-dozen kits....

....except I've still only finished two of the eight Sea Kings I started for that STGB in Jan 2015.....

It doesn't matter if you don't fully complete you build, it's the taking part that counts.

You could try reducing the amount you build at the same time.

Shall I add you to the list?

8 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Uh oh, the Minion is off on another track yet again!

more helicopter mind than butterfly mind I think

Hardly Andy, you know this has been in the offing for a while, and you are signed up!

And it doesn't start for 15 months, plenty of time to get some F-104's and F-4's done!

8 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Easier said than done....

.....at some point I will get around to them, and intend to include one of these:

1551645-medium.jpg

.....you can add me if you want, but not making any promises - still have lots of Sea Kings to go!

Consider yourself drafted!

It would be nice to see a VH-46 in the line up too.