Fiat CR42 interior color

kashiide

Good evening gentlemen

one of my mates is modeling the cockpit of a Falco,and looking for the accurate color of a 1940/1941 Africa campaign CR 42.

i saw pics of a museum one,with the hull being painted with an almost similar to British cockpit light green,but not sure of it.

Please could a connoisseur give us advice?

• Thanks 1

The cockpit of Fiat aircrafts was in light grey even before the Tavola 10 prescribed the use of Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1 (Light Blue Grey 1) in 1941. There are references to this same colout being used for cockpits before the official introduction, an alternative would be a grey not too different from the modern FS 36231. The colour used could have been the grey primer authorised for use by the Air Force technical offices and manufactured by Inves, a paint company that is known to have supplied paints to Fiat. Regardless of the nature of this paint, using a light-medium grey paint will get you in the right ballpark.

I should also mention that the use of grey cockpits was quite common before 1941 for a number of manufacturers, not only Fiat

• Thanks 3

Kashiide,

FWIW, the last time I visited the RAF Museum in Hendon, over a year ago, and before the BoB hall was stripped, I was able to look down on the Museum's captured CR42.  

I'm 99.99% sure the cockpit colour was a light grey.  I might have a photo (taken from the balcony, looking down onto the CR42).

If you're still interested,  let me know and I'll send a copy to you.   I'm having HUGE problems with email so please don't expect it very quickly.

I hope this helps,

Jonny

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...