PBY-5A Catalina/Cansa

Impressed by your decals work.   Looks like you need the very thin red stripes that go above and below the thicker one on the fuselage fin/rudder.  Easily done if you have thin red decal stripes

6 hours ago, Scott Garard said:

You have missed the script on the tail between the crest and the flower. Not that it's a big deal in this scale...

Hi Scott,

I hadn't missed the script at all, I just couldn't achieve it in 1:144 scale.  The whole script only measures 2.5mm high which means the font is only 1.7 pixel (hark at me, makes me sound as if I know what I'm doing here!). I'm sure that it could be achievable in 1:72 scale.    I could have another attempt but the main problem is that I cannot find a font with that type of script, especially that curled P and Y, or the hanging M and N etc., what font is that?

cheers

Mike

I have made an attempt at the script,  having finally found a pixel size of 1.7px but not the exact font, and produced decals of it

pby-5a_firebomber_13_mountain_avery_deca

I also had a go at the Buffalo Air logo at the same time.

pby-5a_firebomber_14_buffalo_logo_decals

Herewith the printed decal with a one pound coin alongside, just to show how small these decals are.

pby-5a_firebomber_15_buffalo_and_mountai

The next stage is to apply these decals.  Apologies for the out of focus shot, I just wanted to show the decal size with the model

pby-5a_firebomber_16_mountain_avery_deca

The little brutes have been applied onto the model; thanks for pointing out the missing scripts Scott, I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Once all the decals were on, I could then attach the wing to the fuselage. 

pby-5a_firebomber_17_buffalo_logo_and_mo

Who left that Knorr pot on the flightpath!

Next thing is to attach the wing struts, props and nose wheel doors; followed by a bit of a tidy up before the weekend deadline.

Mike

• Like 2

Looks excellent, Mike!

You have another week to finish your Catalinas without rushing, as the GB deadline has been extended till 14 January! :)

Cheers

Jaime

thanks for pointing out the missing scripts Scott, I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

No worries Mike! What you have done is more than adequate for this small scale. The whole model is coming up a real treat, cheers!

This build is almost finished although, like my other Catalina, it is a tail sitter.  I did add weights at the beginning but obviously I shall have to find room to add more.

pby-5a_firebomber_18_bow_quarter.jpg

It just requires a pitot tube adding to the port wing leading edge.  There isn't one supplied with the kit and therefore I shall have to fashion one from plastic rod.

pby-5a_firebomber_21_bow_quarter.jpg

I shall have to drill into the nose wheel well and add some weights there, then re-seal it.  Otherwise it will have to have a dollop of glue under the nose wheel!

pby-5a_firebomber_22_profile.jpg

I hope to get this resolved soon and then be able to take photo's for the Gallery.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

• Like 3

Looks very good, despite the tail-sitting. I'm sure you'll find a solution! Looking forward to seeing the final pictures in the gallery!

Cheers

Jaime

On 12/16/2017 at 8:48 PM, bootneck said:

I'm still experimenting with my airbrush and I've notice a couple of areas of red seeping through the taped areas onto the yellow.  I'll clean those up before moving onto the next step.

Don't know if this tip will help or if you are already aware of it. Once you have masked up spray the edges of the masks with clear varnish or kleer and then spray the second colour.

I didn't know that and thanks for letting me know.  I've virtually finished this build now but I shall certainly bear that advice in mind on any future builds. :like:

Mike

Hi Mike,

Anything I have that even hints at being a tail sitter has a load of lead built into the nose. Sometimes the cockpit is made of lead like this 1/144 DH Devon. The forward bulkhead and everything in front of it is made of lead plus a load of lead shot glued in too. It's all either lead sheet or lead shot and is certainly not a tail sitter! 

XoBChbVh.jpg

It's almost finished so I'll post pics soon.

The Devon needs nose weight as well??  :lalala: Mine is just an empty shell and I shall have to do some serious surgery on that before it is finished then :dull:

Mike

The addition of two antenna pods on the upper wing, scratchbuilt from plastic rod, finishes off this build.  I didn't resolve the tail-sitting problem unfortunately, so I tagged the nosewheel down with a dab of G-S Hypo Cement; wonderfully useful stuff for tiny attachments.

These are the photo's that I shall enter into the gallery:

pby-5a_firebomber_23_finished.jpg

pby-5a_firebomber_26_finished.jpg

pby-5a_firebomber_28_finished.jpg

pby-5a_firebomber_34_finished.jpg

As with my other builds on the Flying boats and Floatplanes GB,  I would like to say thanks for your contributions and encouragement; especially the hints and tips on decals and painting etc.

cheers

Mike

• Like 4