Airspeed Oxford Mk II, No. 729 NAS, East Indies Fleet

Hi Everyone,

Just managed to get some photo`s of my very latest effort, which I hope you don`t mind me sharing

rUEyJGh.jpg

Special Hobby`s 1/48 Airspeed Oxford built from their `Royal Navy` Boxing

MY4ELX4.jpg

Finished in the second marking option from the box to represent an `Oxbox` of the Far East Indies Fleet and based at various locations including:

LpjeNsF.jpg 

.....Tambaram, India and Puttalam, Katukurunda in Ceylon ( according to the instruction leaflet )

0lzrKZO.jpg

Built 99% OOB with just ignition harness and aerial wires added........

dc4ZIms.jpg

..although, after establishing that there was no way of seeing them, I did away with the fiddley photo-etched seat mounts and put them on little blocks of wood instead :smile:

trfNkvv.jpg

One of the easiest SH kits I`ve ever made with very little filling and sanding involved.

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 42

A great looking Oxford with a really unusual scheme.  Was the aircraft used for training or was it a communications kite?  That steamy jungle must have played havoc on the wooden structure.   I really 'need' an Oxford (1/72) after the Pavla kit was unceremoniously binned mid-build. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

A great looking Oxford with a really unusual scheme.  Was the aircraft used for training or was it a communications kite?  That steamy jungle must have played havoc on the wooden structure.   I really 'need' an Oxford (1/72) after the Pavla kit was unceremoniously binned mid-build. 

I`m not sure, I couldn`t find anything on Google but I`d imagine communications or transport

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes ... Yes I like it 👍 its different with just the Nmf. But Definitely nice.

Thanks Corsair``

Well......it`s supposed to be Aluminium Dope, they were a mixture of wood, fabric and metal and would have been doped all over, like Mosquito`s were.

Glad you like it :smile:

2 hours ago, Kampartiger said:

Russ,to be honest I would have not given the Airspeed Oxford a second look if not for your build.As always a splendid build.Btw would love to see an SEAC Lysander with that misty background.Adds an air of mystery to it.

Thanks `K`, I can meet you half way there, I did one ages ago before I started using backgrounds.

dRaeBrO.jpg

I don`t have it anymore so can`t do the background.

Cheers Russ

What a beautiful Oxbox Russ,..... you`ve done a brilliant job on it mate,... and I have that scheme planned for one of mine too,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1