1/35 T-34/85 Tank

Just finished the Academy Kit,it was a nice easy build,until I came to the bedspring P/E armour,P/E and me never get on I always have trouble trying to glue it,super/glue has a mind of it's own,will always stick to my fingers,but not where I want it to,it fell of so many times,was almost going to send them all to the bin,I was always not going to fix all that was supplied,just what you see,this is supposed to be a late model Tank,I wanted it to be a Tank that had a quiet run to Germany,with just some dust and a little rust on minor parts.Hope you Enjoy.Cheers.

tn_2c605116-4284-4f86-b837-5efc9369f04d.tn_c0021067-8ecf-45d0-ae38-1e2a0d1d5388.tn_fecb1876-b9f8-40be-96f1-64c573f79bb1.tn_8ef320f9-5e00-4632-a217-f317b7194245.tn_1ec02466-6300-48df-abfc-6bb4bd4c6c5c.tn_336bad9a-5f85-46c8-b8bb-238c0f9a4de5.tn_95e95a24-6af6-4ecc-b106-688c19e3cade.

• Like 11

Nicely done Jim, and you've given me a couple of ideas for my 1/48 Hobbyboss T34/85, when I eventually get round to unboxing it! 

I like the look and sit of the tracks, but especially the hand painted turret markings.  :yes:

• Thanks 1

This one looks great, really. You put those builds out like there was no tomorrow ;)

How would you rate this kit build wise and the quality of detailing. Academy is less expensive than Dragon or Tamiya. And as such always an interesting alternative.

• Thanks 1

That turned out beautifully Jim despite the PE issues!! I like the finish too. I have one of these kits and I will keep your photos for future reference :thumbsup: - thank you for posting.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Well Jim what to say another beutifull model you certainly have a production line going ,as regards photo etch and super glue with my eyesight and banana fingers I just don't try and use it anymore and as for super glue if I do use it I have my debonair handy after a couple of close calls at the toilet when I did not see some on my hand as for your problem with photo etch try a strong pva it takes longer but does the job until your next masterpiece bye for now.🤓🖒

• Thanks 1

Excellent build and paintwork Jim.

The weathering is just right IMO

For what its worth for the PE and superglue 'marriage' I use pieces of stretched sprue to apply the superglue....its inexpensive and I find you can accurately locate without getting fingers involved, snip off the bit of sprue you've just used ready for the next application.

Cheers

Keith

• Thanks 1

Lovely work, great finish.

Like Soeren I would like your opinion on the Academy T-34. I also feel your pain with PE having recently finished putting Eduard's Zimmerit on my Dragon Panther A.

Pete

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bill.B said:

Nicely done Jim, and you've given me a couple of ideas for my 1/48 Hobbyboss T34/85, when I eventually get round to unboxing it! 

I like the look and sit of the tracks, but especially the hand painted turret markings.  :yes:

Thanks Bill,the kit only comes with number decals and the original Tank had the white strip hand painted,the turret is so rough I was not sure how the decals would settle in,so wobbly hands were used,will be glad to see yours when you have it opened and finished Cheers.

12 hours ago, Soeren said:

This one looks great, really. You put those builds out like there was no tomorrow ;)

How would you rate this kit build wise and the quality of detailing. Academy is less expensive than Dragon or Tamiya. And as such always an interesting alternative.

Thanks Soeren,I used to build lots of Academy kits but this is the first for sometime,I found it fine to my liking,detail was great,some say the turret was a little over done in it's roughness,but I liked it,better than some when you have to add,very easy to build,tracks come in one length top and bottom and single around the front and back rollers,and they were spot on with the amount that was used,just a few spares left over,they do give you a lot of extra spures from another model that can come in handy at a later date..Regards my speed of build I am retired and modeling is all I have and just about capable of doing,funny I don't think I am fast,I always have at least 3 builds going so I can move on to another while waiting for glue/paint to dry,you wouldn't believe what I have on my bench at the moment,these last few have been very simple builds,thanks again for your comments Cheers.

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That turned out beautifully Jim despite the PE issues!! I like the finish too. I have one of these kits and I will keep your photos for future reference :thumbsup: - thank you for posting.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,yes it's always good see the mistakes that you hope you don't make:D,should say you wouldn't make!,as I said use your builds for inspiration Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Sure looks like a T-34 Jim.  I think it actually looks better without those dumb fuel drums on the sides and rear too.

And the aggravation of the PE straps for the drums probably wasn't missed either, lol.

The turret doesn't look too rough to me, after I used glue to stipple that AFV clear turret that was rough, but so was the real casting, they didn't waste any effort to polish them up.

Three at once?  My goodness, I have a tough time concentrating on one at a time and I'm retired with nothing but time also.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Homer said:

Well Jim what to say another beutifull model you certainly have a production line going ,as regards photo etch and super glue with my eyesight and banana fingers I just don't try and use it anymore and as for super glue if I do use it I have my debonair handy after a couple of close calls at the toilet when I did not see some on my hand as for your problem with photo etch try a strong pva it takes longer but does the job until your next masterpiece bye for now.🤓🖒

Thanks Homer for your kind comments,nice to hear I'm not the only one that has problems with P/E and super glue,that must have been scary when you went to the toilet,I love chillis and forgot to wash my hands before going to the toilet OUCH,and thanks for that tip on pva glue Cheers.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Lovely job Jim. I've always thought that when the Soviets fitted the 85 turret to the T-34, it not only improved it's capabilities, but made it a far more attractive tank.

John.

Thanks John,yes I have always liked the shape of all the T-34's,I read somewhere that when the Germans captured the first T-34 they could not believe the Russian could build such a great Tank and with sloped armour,Hitler would not let them copy it,think they just used the sloped armour idea.Just another tit-bit the Russians were building them so fast they were coming out of the factory unpainted,now that would make for an interesting colour build,Cheers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KAYELL said:

Excellent build and paintwork Jim.

The weathering is just right IMO

For what its worth for the PE and superglue 'marriage' I use pieces of stretched sprue to apply the superglue....its inexpensive and I find you can accurately locate without getting fingers involved, snip off the bit of sprue you've just used ready for the next application.

Cheers

Keith

Thanks Keith for your comments,and also the tip on super glue,I use a long needle with the eye just trimmed and that picks up as much or little as I need,it was not so much as applying but more the sticking quality,I have 2 super glues one your every day type and the other is Zap-A-Gap,says it bonds virtually anything HA HA!!Cheers.

2 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Lovely work, great finish.

Like Soeren I would like your opinion on the Academy T-34. I also feel your pain with PE having recently finished putting Eduard's Zimmerit on my Dragon Panther A.

Pete

Thanks Pete,if you would like to look at my reply to Soeren's about the build hope that will give you some idea about the kit,there is also somewhere on this site a run down on the kit out of the box,I think all modelers have had some pain with P-E,I'm not lucky enough to have any model shops near me,have to buy everything on line,so it's a hit and miss with some products I buy,computers were not around when I started,so learnt buy reading and doing,would mot believe the model magazines I have going back to the 70's,Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackMax12 said:

Sure looks like a T-34 Jim.  I think it actually looks better without those dumb fuel drums on the sides and rear too.

And the aggravation of the PE straps for the drums probably wasn't missed either, lol.

The turret doesn't look too rough to me, after I used glue to stipple that AFV clear turret that was rough, but so was the real casting, they didn't waste any effort to polish them up.

Three at once?  My goodness, I have a tough time concentrating on one at a time and I'm retired with nothing but time also.

Take care,

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd,yes I have used glue to stipple,but now I use Mr Surface 500,Funny they still give you the fuel drums with this kit,though there is not much room to put them on,Had so many sprues left over thought I had miss something.I hate sitting there and watching glue dry,so I go onto the next kit,and I usually let the paint dry overnight,think I would go nuts if I had nothing to do,had been working from age 14,hopeless at school was much better with my hands,had a lovely big home in the country but had to move closer to Hospitals,now live in a home with a concrete yard,I just have to keep myself busy and modeling gives me a great outlet.Cheers. Jim.

Hi Jim. That looks great. I definetely enjoyed watching it much more than my grandfather did when he met his last T34 :worry:.

The colour finish is great, the weathering is brill and the bedsprings look perfect to me.

Top model, thanks for showing it to the world.

Cheers

Tobby

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tobby the Hun said:

Hi Jim. That looks great. I definetely enjoyed watching it much more than my grandfather did when he met his last T34 :worry:.

The colour finish is great, the weathering is brill and the bedsprings look perfect to me.

Top model, thanks for showing it to the world.

Cheers

Tobby

Thanks Tobby for you kind comments,I would say your Grandfather sure would have had some stories to tell.Cheers. 

Jim