PK 74 Panzer III

TonyW

Another to add to the GB. The Matchbox PzIII, to be finished in the desert scheme, complete with animal skull on the dune base. 

IMG_2726.jpg

I thought I would make a start on it during down time on the other two Matchbox builds currently in progress here, my French armour diorama and Supermarine Stranraer.

After photographing the box contents I made a start snipping off the pieces and before you knew it, the glue had come out. An hour later it's complete and a very thin undercoat applied. It's like being ten again!

IMG_2729.jpg

The base was hit with spray adhesive and ground sand sprinkled over it. It looks about right to me.

Once the undercoat has dried on the tank the fun can start, dialing in the base colour with the tank so they look like they belong together.

Tony.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Ventora3300 said:

Is the animal skull provided by Matchbox? - well impressed if it is! Inspired use of the sand. Love it.

Yup, part number 30 on the instruction sheet. What a fantastic touch.

IMG_2730.jpg

Tony.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That animal skull is just brilliant. Who would have thought to include one of these in a model kit designed for - well kids essentially?

I'll be on the look out for one of these kits seems like it goes together very quickly and very well.

Cheers.. Dave  

The skull would be the talk of the playground I should think.

The kit itself is very well engineered. The parts fit perfectly and joins are designed to be hidden from normal viewing angles. Molding is pin sharp and even the flexible tracks are well detailed for this scale. The lights up front are minute. They might give a kid problems but they are so small you probably wouldn't notice them if they were not fitted. All the wheels snap into place with no slack or effort.

I'm impressed!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I'll be on the look out for one of these kits seems like it goes together very quickly and very well.

Cheers.. Dave  

Was reissued by revell with some German soldiers if memory serves.

Phil

• Thanks 1

More progress, it's coming together at a rapid rate!

I dry brushed a sandy tone over the whole tank to get it, er, sandy colour. The match wasn't bad but it all looked more like snow to me. That's about one hundred and eighty degrees off course for a desert scene. A further dry brushing with a bit of tan, followed by a very dilute coat of Tamiya clear yellow got things looking a bit better. A bit of dark grey on the wheel tyres and a chip or two on the paintwork got things looking OK to my old eyes. The real sand base looked artificial now though. Curses. A hit with the dilute yellow got things back on course.

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg

The tracks need a bit of sag applied plus a bit of steel dry brushing. The base needs scrapping out where the tank sits to loose the suspended above the sand look and maybe a figure or two to add a bit of life.

It's not far from finished though!

Right, where did I put that Humber?.....

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Peter Lloyd said:

Lovely.  The clear yellow looks much better than I'd have guessed it would.

It surprised me to be honest! I thought it worth a try though. It flowed nicely into the details, giving a subtle effect that is controllable. 

It helped to dilute it right down, I think full strength would have given me a Candy Apple custom tank.