1:72 Pro Resin Curtiss XF15C-1 Part 2

Navy Bird

Hi mates,

While I'm waiting for some paint to dry on my current Group Build project, I remembered that I never finished my last Group Build project! The was for the Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers GB. Part 1 of this WIP can be found here.

The Curtiss-Wright XF15C-1 was a mixed-propulsion fighter that was developed for the United States Navy at the end of WWII. Only three prototypes were built, as the US Navy moved their focus to pure jet propulsion. Only one of the prototypes has survived. 

Similar to the Ryan FR Fireball, which actually entered service on a limited basis, the XF15C-1 had both a Pratt & Whitney R-2800 radial engine/propeller up front and an Allis-Chalmers J36 turbojet (license built de Havilland Goblin) under the tail. The mixed propulsion concept was devised to counter the slow acceleration of the early jets, a characteristic that limited their appeal for carrier use. Including the radial engine allowed for safe carrier launch and recovery. Having the turbojet in the tail would contribute to higher cruise speed, or so the theory went. 

The need for further development of the mixed propulsion concept for carrier fighters was negated by improvements in jet power, and the Curtiss-Wright XF15C was never ordered into production. This kit represents the T-tail design as incorporated into the second and third prototypes after the crash of the first which had a more conventional tail design.

A couple of photos to bring everyone up to date with the raw materials:

IMG_1171

IMG_1172

IMG_1173

IMG_1174

Here is the cockpit before it was gobbled up upon closing the fuselage:

IMG_1197

At the end of Part 1 of this WIP, the airframe had been assembled, was up on her legs, and had been given a coat of Glossy Dark Sea Blue. As it turns out, the paint I used was rather old and wasn't very glossy. I bought a couple more bottles (Testors - ugh!) and re-sprayed her and I think I now have a much better base for the stickers.

IMG_1495

IMG_1494

I'll be letting this cure for a bit, since it still smells like paint. Once that smell goes away, then I'll mask off the gear bays and turtle deck (these areas will be Interior Green) and also the panels immediately aft of the exhaust and underneath the empennage by the exhaust. These areas will be stainless steel.

So far, this has been a nice little kit. The only real downside is the engine, but with that big spinner out front it won't be easy to see. One strange thing I've noticed is that my CA adhesive (which usually bites quite fast) seems to take a long time with this resin. It eventually works, and makes a strong bond, but it takes a while. Weird.

Here's the real bird then:

XF15C_1_01_1024

And now (I think she's been repainted since this photo):

XF15C_06-30-2007_RC_4091

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Tiny bit of an update...

I sprayed the aluminum panels aft of the exhausts (both for the piston and jet engines), added the jet exhaust, painted the gear bays and legs with Gunze H58 Interior Green, and started applying the stickers.

Worst stickers I've used in years. Ugh - they are extremely matte, and the first three silvered like crazy. I used my typical setting solutions and solvents, too. I honestly can't remember having decals silver like this. I just now added the "2" on the starboard side of the tail using liquid Future as a "setting solution" and I hope this does the trick. Not sure the first three can be saved, but I'll give it a try.

I love modelling. It helps me relax.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Some progress!   :)

Even using liquid Future as a base for the decal didn't work - that's never happened to me before. Just Crazy. Since the kit decals were no good, I sourced everything from the Box of Misfit Stickers. Some work was done on the landing gear and tyres, along with scratching the actuation mechanism for the inside main gear doors. There is not a lot of work left - windscreen and canopy are ready to go on, and I'm in the process of modifying the photoetch cooling flaps as it turns out they are too long. It seems I've also forgotten the yellow tips on the prop blades, and I'll also have to find some logos for the blades. Getting pretty close though!

Apologies for the crummy looking finish (pretty dusty too!), but things should look much better once the final coat of semi-gloss clear goes on, along with clear flat for the tyres.

IMG_1521

IMG_1523

The kit instructions show the word NAVY in white in front of the fuselage insignias, but I can find no period photographs that show this. So I guess I'll leave it off, unless one of you guys has such a photo. Now would be a good time to show it to me!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

Ooh.

Big and Dysfunctional. Just the way i like them!

One positive thing about the plane i will say... if you take a look at the nose gear strut... you will notice the same basic design crops up again and again on North American Aircraft designs.. The FJ-2/3 Fury, the AJ Savage, the A3J Vigilante and the T2J Buckeye.

North American bought the Curtiss-Wright Columbus facility after the war. Goes to show some of the NAA talent has its origins in Curtiss designs.

-d-

Edited by David H
Blathering on endlessly for no good reason
  • Like 1

Great looking Stingaree, Bill! I have this very kit and it's gratifying to see how nicely it can turn out (with an excellent modeller at the helm). Too bad about the decals, but forewarned is forearmed so I'll be careful with mine and be on the lookout for replacements.

Best Regards,

Jason

Hi mates,

I'll calling this one done. Not my best work, but it will still look good next to my meager collection of experimental USN aircraft (there's just one other, the Grumman XF10F-1 Jaguar). Here is a teaser shot until we get this Flickr thing figured out and I can do a proper RFI:

39146890621_bd1c228466_b.jpg

Now it's back to the F-104 Group Build - I hope the white paint is finally dry so I can shoot some Alclad. I've got another project about to start, one that's been itching to go for some time now. I can't tell you what it is, but I can give you a hint: the initials are T S R.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1