`J` Cabriolet

tc2324

With the A-6 and TSR builds on hold, it was time to crack on with something else.

Back in 1988 a young US exchange officer by the name of Rich Lepman who had been posted to 74 Sqn, attended ACP in Cyprus with the rest of the squadron. Flying ZE362/V with Steve Smyth in the back seat, seconds after rotate, Rich`s canopy immediately filed for divorce from the Phantom and went it`s own way. I aim to replicate this parting of ways in 1/48 scale.

But first a picture taken from the squadron diary as Rich taxied in after a short circuit and landing.  

37650131644_42c218e1a5_c.jpg

I`ll be using the `Black Bunny` kit for this build.

37642019155_a20aeb41a8_c.jpg 

(In a show of defiance to SWMBO, I`m proving I can multi task by building another J and Hurricane for my 74 collection. Needs must and all that...)

I made a start last night......

38473614766_5ed5a43751_c.jpg 

...... and made sure the aircrew were fully aware about their new air conditioning option.....

37642018525_d2a7eb3686_c.jpg 

More soon.

• Like 4

Something similar happened to a mate of mine - alas, no longer with us - in a Sea Harrier.  He reckoned that split second after the canopy departed but before he worked out what was going on was the most scary time of his life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not that much has happened over the last week although I was caught out by the differences of both the Phantom kits and that`s pretty much what this update is all about.

Obvious differences between the two are the raised panel lines, complete tail fin and fixed nose cone on the `Black Bunny` kit.

38632071756_cab70ae86c_c.jpg 

The not so obvious difference is the cockpit fit. While they look more or less identical in the picture below.....,

38651406991_230c579b42_c.jpg 

...... when it came to fitting them, it turns out that the `Black Bunny` cockpit is not compatible with the newer `J` kit. It took me a few moments and some choice words to figure it all out as I thought I`d kept the kits reasonably well separated during this part of the construction. Thankfully after a sip of the good stuff supplied from a Mr J Daniels, I noticed a slight difference in colour of the two plastics and it all fell into place. 

On the plus side, the Hurricane build is going more smoothly ........

38651406131_043ac341a4_c.jpg 

More soon.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

With the Hurricane completed and ready to `ship out`, it was time to get back to the F-4`s

Here`s how they stand with the F-4 on the right sprayed in the colour I wish to display these both in, ie, that weird looking blue/green/ hue.

39052394061_7d888a1446_c.jpg 

More soon as it happens.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A pre-Christmas update on these two J`s. First up is the one being built for Norwich.

First picture is posed in a similar style to the second photo which I`m using as reference.

39208729012_5574609f37_c.jpg 

39208640132_17e9434539_c.jpg 

The `Cabriolet` build is also coming along. The model has been posed in a rough `V1` position which is when the incident occurred. 

38361004035_8a83108074_c.jpg 

This shot was the only blurred one but after seeing it it gave that sense of movement so I`ve posted this up instead of the clearer ones.

More soon.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After a 3 week break it was time to get back stuck into the `Cabriolet` dio. The challenge last night was to place and drill a single hole that would give it the model the right `nose up` altitude but also not get in the way of the gun pod that will be placed on the center line pylon. Not an easy task, but after a lot of measuring up and a good measure of Jack Daniels, I took the plunge.......

38870643465_9e259a86ed_c.jpg 

Think I nailed it....... 

Edited by tc2324
  • Like 3