Piaggio Avanti - 1/72 scale Amodel kit

Just finished - after it was put aside for a while - the Amodel kit of the elegant Italian Piaggio P-180 'Avanti'.....

avanti_001.jpg

Two marking options are given in this release - a Spanish-registered charter turboprop EC-LPJ - or an Italian Marina version....

avanti_018.jpg

I replaced the ill-fitting clear cabin windows with black decals - printed onto clear decal sheet using my inkjet printer.

avanti_019.jpg

Because of the decal windows, I left out the fully-detailed cabin interior (which can't be seen cleary even if the clear windows are used).

avanti_023.jpg

The Avanti is typically Italian - like a flying Ferrari - although I have heard some people say it is ugly???

avanti_026.jpg

I think it's gorgeous.

Ken

PS - Some more photos - plus sprue and build shots.... here.

• Like 37

2 hours ago, Pin said:

One day this must sand on my shelve too, next to Starship

You just reminded me Pin.... I also built the Beech Starship.......

avanti_027.jpg

avanti_028.jpg

Interesting stats.......

Starship.... 6 passengers + 2 crew, max speed 385mph, range 1,742 miles - all composite
Avanti... 7-9 passengers + 1 crew, max speed 460mph, range 1,738 miles -        all metal

• Like 9

A beautiful aircraft and a wonderful build :goodjob:  How I like to see AModel kits built, their not difficult, just need a bit more TLC and some experience using model filler and sanding (I know from experience and have built a couple of AModel kits), although their newer kits do seem to be getting better.  Keep your fantastic builds coming Sir !

Nice model of beautiful subject. Avanti flies frequently above my head - two of them are in use as medical transport machines in Poland. It has very unique sound - onece you hear her you need to  have to look on her elegant shapes in air...

Cheers

J-W

Lovely work as ever Ken. Good to briefly see you at Telford too. 

Just a note though, you might not be fussed... the Italian Marina Avanti's have a longish aerial out the back... you could still add it without damaging the model, not sure if you are aware of this.

piaggio.png 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Radleigh said:

the Italian Marina Avanti's have a longish aerial out the back

Hi Radders,

Great to meet up with you too............

Re the aerial - I was going to add it - but studying internet photos showed that some aircraft had the aerial - while others didn't.

I wonder if it is retractable ??? - anyone know for sure ??

Ken

PS - I had another internet search to try and prove my point - but without any luck - so maybe after my first search I was only looking at civilian aircraft ??

I'll add the aerial when I get round to it.

I echo the praise the others have heaped upon both builds- very nice modeling! I think both would look killer in Finnish  AF colors and markings, but would have to be 'what-ifs' Every once in a while, a Starship flies over my house, and they have a very distinctive sound. Thanks for sharing your work!

Mike

On 20/11/2017 at 4:42 PM, alex said:

But on the other hand, noisy as hell...

Saw and heard one (M-ONTE)  going into Glasgow last week.

I hadn't seen one fly before and it certainly does sound different from other turboprops.

Can I blame you Flankerman as yet again my stash reduction plan takes a beating?

Nice job of an unusual aircraft. Canards were all the rage at one point. Gone out of fashion now somewhat. 

On a point of trivia when it was first launched. There was a worldwide contest to name it. I can't remember my suggestion but it wasn't Avanti, which now seems obvious. 

5 hours ago, noelh said:

Canards were all the rage at one point.

Apparently it isn't a canard - it's a three-wing design ..... this quote from here.....

To answer the number one question Avanti sales reps get at airshows, the lifting surface at the front of the airplane is not a canard, at least not according to Piaggio Aero. It is, instead, a forward wing. The difference between the two, they say, is that the forward wing, while a lifting surface, is not a controllable one. There is no “elevator” in it; hence, it’s not a canard.

Wiki has a long webpage about the design :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaggio_P.180_Avanti

Don't ask me - I just built the thing !!!

Ken

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Apparently it isn't a canard - it's a three-wing design ..... this quote from here.....

To answer the number one question Avanti sales reps get at airshows, 

Don't ask me - I just built the thing !!!

Ken

Ah yes I do remember reading that somewhere before. So basically they say it may look like duck, walk like a duck and quack like a duck but it's not a duck.:huh: There's a pun there if care to look. 😉

Ah sales pitches don't you love them. I for one wouldn't want accuse them using a canard. Another pun, I'm on a roll. 

I'm guessing there's a patent somewhere. 

Whatever it is it's a fine aircraft and a nicely realised model.👍

• Like 1