Gluing tiny parts on Armoured Tank

Lish

Hi All,

I am attempting my first armoured kit. There are way more tiny parts and pieces that aircraft modelling. Seems like Tamiya extra thin cement is not the best option for parts such as headlight light protectors etc. Superglue bonds way too quickly, especially if you need to correct the positioning. What do use instead?

Thanks

15 hours ago, Arachnid said:

I cut the sprue off the runner and use that to position the small part,when it's dry just cut the remainder of the sprue and lightly sand

Interesting method.

I use small but strong tweezers. The cement will bond quicker and better if you slightly touch sth else (trash-worthy and old junk plastic) with the tips beforehand (only works if both sides are treated with glue in advance)

• Like 1

Here's an alternative method that guarantees the piece is glued exactly where you want it to be.

Position the piece and support with blue-tac so that the piece stays exactly where you want it to be when you take your fingers/tweezers off.  Try to ensure that the blu-tac isn't going to get glue on it.  Then dab Tamiya Extra Thin at the contact points and leave it to cure.  Remove the blu-tac at your leisure; I usually it over night so the welded join has completely cured. 

This also works when supergluing metal to plastic, although obviously the cure time is so much shorter.  Apply the smallest amount possible with a needle or cocktail stick so that the glue flows by capillary action into the joint.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2017 at 19:25, Gav G said:

Here's an alternative method that guarantees the piece is glued exactly where you want it to be.

Position the piece and support with blue-tac so that the piece stays exactly where you want it to be when you take your fingers/tweezers off.  Try to ensure that the blu-tac isn't going to get glue on it.  Then dab Tamiya Extra Thin at the contact points and leave it to cure.  Remove the blu-tac at your leisure; I usually it over night so the welded join has completely cured. 

This also works when supergluing metal to plastic, although obviously the cure time is so much shorter.  Apply the smallest amount possible with a needle or cocktail stick so that the glue flows by capillary action into the joint.

Thanks, I have to try this one out.

• Like 1