Painting

Half eye

Welcome to the forums, Half Eye! :)

Do you have any kind of paints already? Are these acrylics  or enamels? Depending on this you might want to stick to the same kind of primer. Just as important is the question whether you have an airbrush or plan to paint by can or brush.

As far as I know there aren't many primers specifically made for brush painting so in case you don't have an airbrush you might be better off with a rattle can primer. Tamiya and Revell have these in their range. In cvase yu have an airbrush or plan on buying one, I would go with acrylic primers from the Ammo of Mig, AK or Vallejo range.

Most modelers use gray primer but there are different colors available, depending on your subject. Black is probably the second most popular.

In case you can give us more information on your setup and subject, we might be able to give more precise indications.

Hope this helps!

These days, I'd generally go for acrylic paints alll round - unless there was a specific effect, or colour, I wanted, and acrylics wouldn't help

For general modelling I, like @Bullbasket, use Halfords primer.  You can sucessfully brush (hairy stick) or airbrush over that.

Personally I prefer to work from white, but it is more usual to work from grey.  White needs less covering than grey, unless you are painting black or dark colours.

Note: for metalic schemes, black (or even gloss black) may be a better base coat - I haven't tried it, but have been impressed by the results.

On a recent WWII armour build I used Vallejo surface primer (Russian armoured vehicle 4BO).  That was relativly dark, but allowed a build up of lighter tones.

That was successfull, and I'd repeat the exercise (with appropriate base colours) on other single colour schemes, but it's not something I'd go for if building a WWII RAF temperate or desert scheme.

Other brands are available ...