P-51D canopy variations - a quick guide

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

5 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Useful link there Jonners but how many of us are going to have all these types I wonder?

I take your point - but the Airfix kit has 3 types of bubble hood - and only 1 is used for either kit decal option. I'm building an early -5NA converted from the kit, so this was useful in working out which of the other 2 canopy styles would be best for my model. 

cheers

Jonners

8 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

hi all - for those of you building the new Airfix kit, or any P-51D - I found this guide rather useful in working out which canopy shape is which

http://www.gaetanmarie.com/p-51dk-mustang-canopy-variations/

Jonners

Jonners,

Fantastic reference! Even better than the one on the P-51 SIG site! I knew of three variations, but not the others; grateful to you for the hard work in putting your  post together and for sharing it with all of us...pretty subtle contour differences that I doubt we will see in injected or vac form, but at least we have the 'big three!'

Mike

Since I'm a native Texan, gotta be a Dallas hood for me!

a really helpful addition would be to identify the Airfix part numbers to canopy type,  as the link  shows 5 variations, the kit has 3, but which 3, and which is which,  also, what is the difference between windscreen types.

I don't have the kit as yet, but get to examine one at my last model club meeting.

• Like 1