Ryan FR-4 - The World's Fastest Fireball

Hello,

Here are some finished photos on my latest build, a Ryan FR-4, which is a conversion of the MPM 1/72 Ryan FR-1 Fireball; the FR-4 being 100 mph faster than the FR-1. The FR-4 differs in that the intakes for the jet engine were removed from the wing roots, and added back in the form of NACA ducts, on the front cowling sides.

Without further ado:

2v2uqk1dzxfzdhW.jpg

2v2uqk1N3xfzdhW.jpg

2v2uqk18GxfzdhW.jpg

2v2uqkpoFxfzdhW.jpg

2v2uqkpv5xfzdhW.jpg

2v2uqkpuGxfzdhW.jpg

2v2uqkpQNxfzdhW.jpg

Next, some comparison shots between the FR-1 and the FR-4 (foreground). The FR-1 is the Pegasus model, and it was a tough build, mostly because the intakes on my copy were molded as blobs, and I had to basically rebuild the wing.  Also, in these pictures, I just noted that about 12-15 years ago, when I built the model, I also put the stars ON THE WRONG WINGS! This model has been in the case for THAT long, and I just never noticed. Duh!

But, I lucked out, and some kind chap on E-bay was kind enough to offer an instruction sheet (which I didn't need) and an original Pegasus decal sheet (which I do) for a modest price, so I snapped them up! This problem will be corrected soon!

But, here are some comparisons:2v2uqkp1nxfzdhW.jpg

2v2uqkpwdxfzdhW.jpg

2v2uqkpk5xfzdhW.jpg

2v2uqkpDrxfzdhW.jpg

This was a tricky, but interesting build, and one that I'd never seen tried before. This model may very well be unique, but I hope some of you out there will give it a go!

Here is the link to how I did it:W.I.P.

Thanks for looking!

Ed

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1