Meung 1/48 P-51 Mustang RAAF TT

PWJ

I am not really sure how this happened!!!!
After insisting that I would not start anything new until the cupboard of doom was clear, I recently acquired one of Meung’s new 1/48 P51 Mustang kits which included Ronin RAAF decals. The kit is very nice and can be built cement free. A benefit of this is that the fit of parts is very precise. So much so in fact that by gluing some of the major airframe components, mainplane/fuselage, I did inherit some minor issues mainly due to the fact that there was no longer any flexibility to move things to fit cleanly.

Anyway the intent was to do a quick build essentially out of the box utilizing the kit decals for a simple RAAF bird scheme and then it happened! Buried in the stash was a RR TT decals/upgrade set and before I knew it I was into another new build continuing the Aussie Target tug theme.
The Red Roo RAAF Target tug set is number RRR48148 which includes cuff less blades and Australian type seat. The airframe selected was A68-113, CA-18 Mk 21 and essentially all reference used on this build was provided by the RR booklet. Additional detailing was restricted to the RR kit contents as I wanted a quick build.

Overall this was an enjoyable build. Although the Meung kit is a cement free construction it is by no means a simple toy kit, however in my opinion is the best Mustang available at this time in 1/48. Final pics are of the TT row to date and it now looks like a Sea Venom which is in construction will also become a TT bird for something a little different!. Cheers PJ

IMG_20170930_0929185~2

Mustang TT 2017

IMG_20170930_0928256~2

IMG_20170930_0928106~2

IMG_20171120_0932583

IMG_20171120_0933380

• Like 41

Great to see another Meng Mustang built, they are great kits and yours shows off the kit detail nicely. Your conversion work has created something a little different from the 'normal' Mustangs folk tend to build and is obviously part of a very nice theme you have going.

With regards to the fit of the Meng kit I have been told that if you intend to use glue it helps to cut some of the locating pins off.

Duncan B

• 2 weeks later...