My First Halftrack

BIG X

Hi and thanks for dropping by – may I introduce you to my first ever 1/72 AFV.  It’s the International Harvester M5 Halftrack – or should that be half track?

The kit is from the PLASTIC SOLDIER COMPANY and as some of you probably know – it’s really designed for wargamers rather than 'serious' modellers – but hey - you get 3 in the box – so how could an amateur resist…

There isn’t really any ‘after-market’ for these bad boys, so it‘s straight out of the box.  The only messing around I did, as my skills are somewhat limited, was to add a bridge weight disc with a 3mm piece of plastic.  Also the ‘windows’ were solid – so I filed them out and it came with a ‘choice of 50 calibre machine guns – so I ‘up gunned’ it and used both.  Oh – and the headlights were just plastic stumps – so I drilled a couple of small pits and put some chrome paint in.

The paint is Vallejo Model Air and the dusty look comes from Flory washes – all finished off with Winsor and Newton matt varnish.

Now no one is going to mistake this for your normal 1/35 fare - but just for scale - and because it is so cheesy - let's start with a 'penny shot'...

image.jpg

OK - so here is the 'walkaround'...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I should point out that I built this as a ‘mojo restorer’ and it certainly did its job – if you fancy taking a look at the fun and games along the way – the WIP is here…

…as always any constructive comments are most welcome – it’s what the forum is all about. :D

...and don't forget - if you  like it – then you can ‘like it’ with the buttons over there >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  > 

Thanks for looking - Steve

• Like 18

This is a very good model and I have 3 of these in front of me in various stages of build iam hooked on this companies models for the price you can't do better and they do make good looking models well done.🖒 

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys - I've had a few internet problems in the last few days...

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 00:54, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

As always BIg X great work.

Hey Dennis - every day is a learning experience and this one was fun too...

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 07:23, Gorby said:

I'm surprised how good this looks.

I would have dismissed it as a toy, but you've made it look very good. Well done Steve.

Hi Mark - I am sure many modellers dismiss these kits as a 'toy' - but if you are learning new techniques and you don't expect to build a 'competition winner' then they are fantastic.  I will certainly be building more 'toy tanks' and counting on your support along the way. :D

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 08:14, Homer said:

This is a very good model and I have 3 of these in front of me in various stages of build iam hooked on this companies models for the price you can't do better and they do make good looking models well done.🖒 

Homer - I agree with you all the way - great little kits at a great price - what's not to like.

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 09:23, AndyRM101 said:

I really love the way you've finished that. The weathering is perfect for the scale. Noticeable without being overpowering. Great work on the figures too.

Andy:cat:

Thanks Andy - I don't mind doing my learning in public and it hopefully ensures help along the way from those with more experience than me.  I learned a lot with the figures and already know I would use maybe brown washes next time - rather than black - all good fun though.

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 09:24, Lawzer said:

After seeing the 1p it made me realize how small this thing is.  A job very well done sir!

Thank you my furry friend - and you really should be doing a WIP on that Heinkel - it's a definite BIG X build - lots of 'ups and downs' - but mainly 'ups' I'm glad to say.

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 14:28, Mike said:

Nice work Steve :thumbsup:

Thank you sir ;)

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 16:24, PlaStix said:

You have done a really great job on that - especially in 1/72!! Very well done. :clap2::clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks stix- I'm actually getting a bit excited about 1/72 - I'm just wondering what to do with all those 1/48 in the stash :doh:

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 21:50, badger said:

A superb job!! Turned out nicely for a fairly basic kit.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Shermans!

All the best

Thanks Ben - I will have A LOT of Sherman questions imminently and you know I'll be counting on you to be first in line with some sensible answers - no pressure :wicked:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Thanks Ben - I will have A LOT of Sherman questions imminently and you know I'll be counting on you to be first in line with some sensible answers - no pressure :wicked:

No worries - glad to be of use! Ask away.

All the best 

Ben

• Thanks 1