Italeri Tornado IDS into a GR.4 1:72

HP42

Hi all,

Picked up Italeri's 1:72 Tornado IDS kit the other day. I'm just wondering how good it is compared to the Revell GR.1, whether or not it's their own moulding or a re-pop of somebody else's moulding? I'm looking at turning it into a GR.4, ideally something fairly recent from Marham. What exactly do I need? I see Freightdog does the laser pod things under the nose. Will they fit this kit and do I need anything else?

Questions, questions... :think:

I'll leave to others to comment on all the details required to convert the kit into a GR.4 but I can comment on the kit: it's not bad, but the Revell one is way better. The Italeri kit is much simpler and less detailed, both in terms of internal details and in term of surface detail. Te Revell one is the best around in this scale.

Italeri's kit is their original mould that however was modified a couple of times in the past. IMHO it's a fine kit if paid a tenner and you don't mind a simple kit, more than that and the Revell kit is a better option

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

I'll leave to others to comment on all the details required to convert the kit into a GR.4 but I can comment on the kit: it's not bad, but the Revell one is way better. The Italeri kit is much simpler and less detailed, both in terms of internal details and in term of surface detail. Te Revell one is the best around in this scale.

Italeri's kit is their original mould that however was modified a couple of times in the past. IMHO it's a fine kit if paid a tenner and you don't mind a simple kit, more than that and the Revell kit is a better option

Thanks for that, I've been having a look at it through the bag and it certainly appears a little less detailed but still looks good. I think I'll go with it, it looks good enough. I made the Revell some years back but it's in a display cabinet in a café so I don't have ready access to it. As long as there's no glaring errors with the Italeri it can become my GR.4 donor kit. I got it for free so it's not exactly costing me anything (so far!). :lol:

• Like 1

HP42, seriously, get the Revell kit if you can. Apart from being better in just about every aspect, it has the LRMTS you will need for an RAF Tornado, as well as a choice of fuel tanks and a nice selection of ordinance. Cross-kit with a 2007-vintage Revell Eurofighter Typhoon kit to get Storm Shadow if you fancy (or fork out for the relevant Hasegawa weapons set and get some Brimstones too). Freightdog supply 2 FLIRs and an IR Linescan so you can build a GR4 or GR4A, and the parts are designed for the Revell kit. Check your references for differences between the GR1 and GR4 cockpits; Eduard cannot save you here.

23 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

HP42, seriously, get the Revell kit if you can. Apart from being better in just about every aspect, it has the LRMTS you will need for an RAF Tornado, as well as a choice of fuel tanks and a nice selection of ordinance. Cross-kit with a 2007-vintage Revell Eurofighter Typhoon kit to get Storm Shadow if you fancy (or fork out for the relevant Hasegawa weapons set and get some Brimstones too). Freightdog supply 2 FLIRs and an IR Linescan so you can build a GR4 or GR4A, and the parts are designed for the Revell kit. Check your references for differences between the GR1 and GR4 cockpits; Eduard cannot save you here.

Thanks Steve, I'm torn now... :think:

22 hours ago, Vicarage Vee said:

The Italeri isn't the worst 1/72 Tornado and, I think, it does have an LRMTS albeit all in opaque plastic?

I have a vacform canopy for an Italeri Tornado that I shall never use that you are welcome to if you want it

That's very kind of you VV. I think I'll just do a quick mojo restoration 'out of the box' build, stuff the minimal extras on to make it a GR.4 and move on. It's a gap in my collection and I think I'll fill it quickly before spending time on other projects. ...of course that how things start, then I end up getting so enthused I do it all again with the better kit, photo etch etc... :banghead:

Sorry, but the Italeri is NOWHERE near as good as the Revell, and no matter how much you try to spruce it up, will never equal it. Anyone who says otherwise is flat out lying.

Sadly there is no GR.4 conversion kit available today, the only existing ones are OOP. This is a telling example of the colossal functional stupidity of the resin community: "let's make wheels for an already decent kit rather than a key missing feature in a widely sold kit".

Blows my mind really.

Go Revell, without a doubt the better option. Only other thing to do to it is shorten the nose gear oleo slightly, I personally feel it's slightly too long and as such your Tornado will sit a bit too nose high. Some of the later production Revell kits I have in my stash suffer from very poorly moulded transparencies and I haven't yet decided how I'll tackle these for the cockpit, probably have a go at vac-forming. You may be lucky and pick up a kit that doesn't suffer this problem

I've built 2 so far, have another 2 in work....... and have at least another 8 in the stash! Almost more than the RAF 😉

Eng

On 11/25/2017 at 12:34 AM, charlie_c67 said:

That's been out of stock for as long as I can remember...