Revell 1 72 Fairey Gannet

This one is turning into a bit of an ordeal.

I picked up a Fairey Gannet on eBay for about £8 a few months ago. Not a bad price I thought. However, on unboxing I found that two of the canopy sections were broken so I ordered a set of vac forms and the cost of the kit went up by £13. Hmmm... I initially contacted Revell customer services regarding a spare, but they didn't get back to me other than to say it will be about 12 years before they will even look at my request. They should take a leaf out of Airfix's book as I've always found them to be excellent.

I'm doing it OOTB, apart from the canopy.

The fit of the internals into the externals wasn't great, but a metric butt-load of filler should sort it. I've got the first load on and will fill in the gaps on a second pass.

PB190356.jpg

PB190362.jpg

The biggest fit problem was with the new canopy.

PB190359.jpg

I'll have to do a hybrid of new and old, and have the canopies slid back. Hopefully I'll get away with that.

PB190360.jpg

I put a load of ballast under the cockpit floor to keep the nose down using Liquid Gravity and Rocket Hot. However, the glue ran right through the aircraft and I ended up bonded to it!

PB190353.jpg

1 to 5 second eh? No kidding.

PB190363.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by Harry_the_Spider
  • Like 3

Wow, to say that there are some fit issues with this would be an understatement!

The plastic is quite brittle too, so any attempt to "persuade" a piece into place tends to result in bits of it pinging across the kitchen floor. Good job it is such an interesting aircraft or I would have sacked this one off long ago.

Come on Airfix, make a nice soft plastic version of this that fits together properly!

PB260370.jpg

• Like 2

On 19/11/2017 at 8:35 PM, Harry_the_Spider said:

Sure, and fixing the arrestor hook so early in the build isn't the best. 

You didnt pick an easy kit to start on - if your not aware, their is another build going on at this time within the forums................................as for the arrester hook, flatten appropriate end of a piece of brass wire with a pair of flat ended pliers, copy the shape from the origonal, drill fuselage with appropriate drill size and add new hook to Gannet.

PS(nb) If any gannet is a tail sitter, lower hook to ground as seen on some Gannets, this stops the Gannet tail sitting.

Nice to see you persevering and glad to hear this kit has not been sacked.................good luck with the rest of the build

I'm sorry to read of your hassles with Revell's spares department: I'm on the other side of the globe and about a month after making the request the parts arrive in the post, no questions asked! I guess I've been lucky with what they have in stock...

I'm glad you're persevering as I tend to enjoy finishing/resurrecting second-hand kits.

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

This item is a cull item. The parts are not any longer available.

Kind regards

your service department Revell

Nothing like that personal touch ;-)

Whatever, the kit is coming together quite nicely now and I'm glad that a). Revell made it and b).  I managed to bag a cheap one.

• Like 1

Well... it hasn't fallen over!

PB270372.jpg

The rake of the undercarriage means that the contact with the ground is very close to the CoG, but it is just about stable. I may stick a couple of grams in the spinner though just to make sure.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Filth on.

Pain in the backside mix and match canopies on.

PC280698.jpg

Just need to paint the canopies and add the decals, paint the red bits on the fusilage, add the lights, finish the props and finally give it a clear coat.

• Like 1

I had a broken canopy in the revell corsair a few months ago and following a tip on the net went on the revell website, revell germany not usa, and entered my details. A few weeks later got a letter from Revell in England saying the part would be sent and a few weeks after that received a nicely boxed replacement. Revell canopies seem very fragile, I have a gannet in the stash with cracked canopies too.

Cheers, Paul

Airscrews on. I have to say that Revell's "stab it with a hot spike" instruction to secure the forward prop sums up the kit, as there is clearly a cap on the spru for this, but it doesn't fit. Much like many other parts.

PC310704.jpg

Lights, canopy decals and clear coat then it is done. I'll look at it for a couple of days then box it away as the build has been miserable. If you have this in your stash I'd leave it there. 

• Like 4