Missouri Armada P-51D Mustang: documents and partial scratch from the Tamiya 1/48 kit

The last and great docs brought by Antonio pushed me to reconsider one more time my floor. With my previous build, I often had to do and redo some steps, as we got new docs and précisions... I am afraid this thread will have a lot of pages too!

More soon...

• Like 1

These are just two of the amazing docs Antonio brought us to represent the anti-slip floor with the wood appearing at the feet level and the dials and controls, but they are maybe the best ones. The red arrows show interesting details that I will try to represent:

7Q0Hpw.jpg

qmobKL.jpg

Imho, if we had a HD version of the Missouri Armada wheel, it would look like the one on right. Finally, the diamond tread is probably the best choice. I will represent this one, unless someone brings a new info that would contradict this assumption.

KzZNxV.png

I come-back to the cockpit and more precisely to the seat:

lqYVXS.png

I don't know what was the function of this lever, that could be vertical or horizontal. Do you know?

Notice that the great modeler who made this cockpit put the relief tube on the left side. Personally, I intend to place it on the right side, as we can see on our docs.

I am gonna do another enlargement of this great cockpit to show another detail, missing of course in the kit as in the Eduard PE parts, even if you can see it a bit on the photo above...

Here is the construction I was just speaking about. It is situated just in front of the joystick. It is very well represented (with a nice 3D effect) on the same 1/32 model shown above. I wonder if it is scratch, included in a kit (Zoukei Mura? Revell?) or aftermarket part. I will try to take inspiration on it...

kKkyOv.png

Olivier

The red object is the handle of a pin which engages with a hole in the protruding object on the front of the control column (just catching the light in your photo. This locks the control column. Not sure if the intention is for using in flight to hold the a/c on a straight and level course (like if you were taking a pee :)), or if it is just for locking control surfaces when on the ground? The new Revell P-51D has a representation of this assembly.

I have also spotted something else you may wish to add. Adjacent to the battery is a small glass bottle that acts as a sump to collect and neutralise any acid from the battery that got into the battery's fume venting. One of the photos earlier in this thread (post 195 fourth image down - behind the fuel gauge you can see the rod with a wingnut on top) actually shows the holder for the bottle (a base with two rods protruding which used wingnuts to secure the bottle in place - details unknown), it is represented in the Tamiya kit as a solid polystyrene part and in the new Revell as a clear part. I have not found any photo of the bottle either in place or outside the a/c. It is located adjacent to the battery on the port side. It should have one pipe coming into it's top from the battery and another coming out of the top to the external vent (wherever that is?) a bit like the moisture trap in a compressor airline - inside was a felt or foam pad that was soaked in a chemical to neutralise the acidity.

I'll show you how Revell have depicted it when I get a photo.

Do you have a link to the build above?

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, chaps, we have again a dream team here (as for the "Fiat 806 : research and scratchbuilds" thread)... Union makes perfect, and without your precious docs and infos, I would have been totally unable to represent an accurate cockpit. I could rename my thread: "Missouri Armada P 51-D Mustang Tamiya 1/48: research and scratchbuild"! A long but justified title :D

Antonio, I repeat myself, but where do you find such amazing pics?? in the SIG forum?? it is a fact that I had not time to try again searching on it, but the first trials were not very successful...

Pity that I get only now (but better late than never!) these ones. I had never seen this glass bottle on any of our docs before. I should add this detail of course and I am thinking on how to scratch such a glass bottle at 1/48... A transparent tube of the good diameter (around 2 mm I would say) cut at the good height (about 4 mm maybe) could do...

• Like 1

• Totally Mad Olivier changed the title to Missouri Armada P 51D Mustang Tamiya 1/48: research and scratchbuild
  • Totally Mad Olivier changed the title to Missouri Armada P-51D Mustang: documents and partial scratch from the Tamiya 1/48 kit

I have added some details: the glass bottle (thanks Matt, John and Antonio) with its hoses. Not simple to find a little room for this detail, but I am glad of the result, even if I will underline the hoses with grey for a 3D effect.

Other detail added: the frame and "carpet" under the seat, as we can see on doc. 64 above. In the lack of certainty, I have painted it Burnt Umber (Vallejo). I like the contrast with the IG. Of course, most of this carpet will become invisible once the seat in place. The screws were done with the great JMV "double dot" technique (a small drop of white on a small drop of black, both Vallejo), giving a nice 3D effect (he does it better than me...).

8e1Cfj.jpg

Small holes were drilled in the rear part of the battery, on the rear panel, and on the diamond shape on top of the bottle, with the great Tamiya 0,4 mm drill. A 0,37 mm diameter tin wire was inserted and glued in the different holes.

m89DkH.jpg

P.S: I will have to redo 2 handles on the left panel, that have been broken during the handling :huh:. Holy patience!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mattlow said:

That's beautiful work Olivier...

You're putting more detail into this than I'm contemplating for my 1/32 one... 

Me too. When I re-start my stalled Dragon 1/32 kit, I will remove the seat and add some of the detail missing from the Aires set which I have installed. Thanks to you ( and Antonio ) for the inspiration.

John

• Like 1

On 04/01/2018 at 13:04, Mattlow said:

Do you have a link to the build above?

Sorry, Matt, I don't find the link, but here is the full picture I had found on the net:

3ZFlnT.png

from which I made this first enlargement:

bM9ERN.png

All the best

Olivier

• Like 2

Hello dear all,

here is my last progress: I have added some new details:

- the small lever on the left side of the seat, with the yellow bottom

- the pilot relief tube and its attachment

- the broken handles on the left panel (see above).

My next steps will concern the joystick and other details in the cockpit...

ohlqpB.jpg

xZoaVp.jpg

The pilot relief was done from stretched plastic with, at the bottom, a small portion of 0,8 mm Albion Alloys brass tube (to get a hollowed bottom see the red arrow):

8hFQC3.jpg

• Like 4

Oliver,

This is absolutely brilliant modelling and documentation.

Thank you and Antonio for sharing the documentation.

Thank you for sharing your modelling progress...it's simply outstanding. 

All the Best!

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much Don and welcome in the thread.

We try to bring what we would have dreamt to find on a P-51D thread, especially the amazing docs Antonio (though others) brought us. Sometimes, they arrived a bit too late for me, and I had to redo a step, but doesn't matter, it is so great to have the opportunity to be so close from truth. I hope this thread will create motivation to build this model with accuracy.

I love sharing my passion with others, and that's why I love Britmodeller! (more, I improve my english!)

I often say that, but without everyone's contribution, my cockpit would have taken a very different way!

Of course, I respect all kinds of model making, especially OOB, but I have a lot of fun finding solutions for a close to the original model...

All the best

Olivier

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't see the same shape for the handle just in front of the joystick. Which one is the right one? Antonio, if you could find another doc for this part, it would be great...

XOe8cs.png

Waiting for more precisions if possible for this small object, I made a little progress, adding the joystick and improving a bit my cushion and up seat belts:

NmGv1b.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you again Antonio for these amazing docs. Now, I think things are more clear. If I understand well, there was a locking system that allowed the pilot to stop driving for a moment (kind of auto pilot). 

Here are enlargements of our best docs to represent this stick locking system (I will represent it unlocked):

Photo 1: a numeric but very good representation on top view of the system unlocked:

tSeB4f.jpg

Photo 2: other top view under another angle:

YuzCvm.png

Photo 3: lateral view of the unlocked system:

rewRB8.png

Photo 4: here, the control seems to be locked (locking arm vertical and very close from the joystick). But this photo shows the kind of bell (like we have on the right panel) and that should be represented if possible:

7DgKIi.png

Photo 5: enlargement of this area on the excellent 1/32 build ever seen above: notice that the modeler did not forget to represent the lug coming through the gusset. A very good reference, definitely, even if this gusset should be more Olive Drab than Leather Brown, imho...

4NOGGv.png

• Like 1