Late car door Typhoon question.

TBC

If I want to do a 1/48 late car door Typhoon with whip antenna, I'll have to replace the clear parts in the Hasegawa kit with the appropriate aftermarket vac set from Rob Taurus, correct? I don't believe there is a clear resin alternative. Other than removing the mount for the thru-canopy mast are there any other changes to the rear deck? Would someone have pics of this area on a late car door?

While I could sand the detail away on the kit plastic and then polish, I would still be left with filling the small hole with a tiny bit of clear, sanding, polishing, and trying to make that invisible. Don't think so.

Thanks for any help.

Falcon do a  set with early and late car  door camopies.

http://falconmodels.co.nz/clearvax/set31.html

9. Hawker Typhoon, 'car door' canopy (early type). Suggested kit: Monogram Typhoon IB.
31-9.gif
This canopy represents the early type with a small blister on top containing an internal rearview mirror. Doors are supplied for display in the open position The drawing shows the correct position for the doors (the dotted lines indicate the incorrect position moulded on the kit fuselage). Other modifications required to the kit are a three-bladed propeller and unshrouded exhaust stacks.
10. Hawker Typhoon, 'car door' canopy (late type). Suggested kit: Monogram Typhoon IB.
31-10.gif
This canopy represents that fitted to the majority of "car door" Typhoons. See the instructions for canopy No.9.

intended    for the Mono kits, but  should fit.

59 minutes ago, TBC said:

While I could sand the detail away on the kit plastic and then polish, I would still be left with filling the small hole with a tiny bit of clear, sanding, polishing, and trying to make that invisible. Don't think so.

Actually,

Hmm,  a quick google has not shown any car  door with a whip aerial though.  I they did  remove  the aerial,  then they either replace the  entire canopy rear, (or convert to bubble top, this did happen) or just fill the hole  themselves.

this is  a @Chris Thomas question for chapter and verse on this detail.   The article he did for Airfix Magazine detailing changes is on another machine :(

Great to see someone modelling this version of the Typhoon, perhaps my favourite.  Coincidentally Eduard have just released a kit of this version, but that doesn't help TBC. 

First point is is that everything aft of the head armour was removed except for the slanting support for the triangular crash pylon and the anchorage for the seat belts. From memory I don't think the latter is represented in the Hasegawa kit but it is, with PE in the Eduard version.

Secondly, and this could be the get-out-jail-free card for TBC, there were two versions of the rear transparency. Some aircraft had a completely clear transparency, obviously produced for this version, but others utilised one adapted from an old transparency by closing the gap left by the mast and associated equipment with a simple metal(?) plate. I've not been able detect any pattern in this, both versions seem to be scattered throughout the production run.

The snag is, this feature is difficult to see in many photos. So, TBC, do you have any particular Typhoons in mind?

CT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris,

Right. So the clear bit that sat behind the mast has to go too. As to the aircraft, RCAF 438 Sqd's F3-P JR249 as shown in the Aviaeology decals. The whip antenna is also offset to starboard, correct? I can't tell by the photo in the instructions whether the aircraft had a completely clear perspex or had the mast hole patched.

Cheers,

Tom

14 hours ago, TBC said:

Chris,

Right. So the clear bit that sat behind the mast has to go too. As to the aircraft, RCAF 438 Sqd's F3-P JR249 as shown in the Aviaeology decals. The whip antenna is also offset to starboard, correct? I can't tell by the photo in the instructions whether the aircraft had a completely clear perspex or had the mast hole patched.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom, only the one photo known of F3-P JR249 and that does not show the relevant bit of canopy.  Looking at photos of Typhoons in the same range ... JR237 patched, JR244 clear, JR253 patched, JR255 clear, JR294 patched, JR297 clear.  So I think that gives you licence to choose what suits!  

Yes, the whip aerial was offset to starboard - just under 2mm in 1/48. 

Chris

• Like 1