Kamov 28 Helix, Hobby Boss 1/48

Martian

4 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

There can't be many of you, though!

We prefer to think of ourselves as an aesthetic elite, free from the un-necessary strait jacket of the conventional preference for sleek plank-wing dullness...

Or a bit weird.  But the first version is better.  

[I only said it was attractive in comparison with a Hormone... but it does have a chunky Soviet charm all of its own]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Any use?

Very muchly so, especially the Indian one. Normally when I start a build, I already know a fair bit about the subject I am to model before I start. This build is quite the reverse, I bought the kit because I liked the look of the thing and because I was aware that the Indian Navy operates them but knew absolutely nothing else about them. Therefore any information I can get my grubby tentacles on is welcome.

4 hours ago, perdu said:

That grey, it looks almost white doesn't it, I wonder if a white dirtied with black might not do it

The flow Martian

You gotta go with the flow, man/alien

And no making it with those negative vibes...

😨

No negative waves here Moriarity! It is the fact that the colour seems to change greatly depending on the light that has me a bit confused so I thought it was best to start having the discussion now rather than wait until I need to start painting stuff and think "what do I do now?". I am always happier when I have a plan.

44 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

There can't be many of you, though!

Don't be so sure, that was said about the floatplane Roc I am building and plenty of fans came out of the woodwork.

52 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That Ukrainian paint job  would be a challenge 

It would be but not for this alien, my heart is firmly set on the Indian one and they seem to be nice and clean, the way I like my builds. I may make with a bit of pre-shading though to break up the monotone finish a bit.

Martian

43 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That Ukrainian paint job  would be a challenge 

Nah.

There some pil chap who models on  A*rf*x M*d*lw*rld who thinks all aeroplanes look like that, he could do that without even planning it

He is the main reason I don't spend/waste money on the mag

Anyway, if he does this one I would be pleased and gratified

At last, accurate

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

We prefer to think of ourselves as an aesthetic elite, free from the un-necessary strait jacket of the conventional preference for sleek plank-wing dullness...

Or a bit weird.  But the first version is better.  

[I only said it was attractive in comparison with a Hormone... but it does have a chunky Soviet charm all of its own]

I suspect that sadly both statements are true Crisp but as the Rocky Horror show would have it "stay sane inside insanity".

19 minutes ago, perdu said:

Nah.

There some pil chap who models on  A*rf*x M*d*lw*rld who thinks all aeroplanes look like that, he could do that without even planning it

He is the main reason I don't spend/waste money on the mag

Anyway, if he does this one I would be pleased and gratified

At last, accurate

I like the mag but I tend to agree with you about the current trend for over weathering models. I was having a look around the aircraft classes at Telford while I was judging and did become a little disheartened by the numbers of beautiful but clean models that were losing out to ones finished in beautifully applied but over the top weathering. The playing field needs to be levelled in this respect but the subject is so subjective that, even with over thirty years experience of competing, judging, organising and running competitions at all levels, I can't think how it might be done in any practical sort of way.

Martian the Philosophical

• Like 5

I am not going to go deeply into that but there was one very lovely helicopter displayed with a photograph of the actual real living helicopter, live parked on the ground in front of the photographer

Tidy machine in a fine pastellish colour scheme, well kept, nicely presented with very little obvious marking round access panels

The proud modeller had finished it beautifully, I liked the model :)

Except he then proceeded to overlay every seam, joint and doorway in pale grey messy mist

So I detested the model  :(

life sucks sometimes

• Like 4

2 hours ago, perdu said:

pale grey messy mist

Great name for a The Moody Blues tribute band...or a relatively unsuccessful racehorse.

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

the current trend for over weathering models

As a relative newcomer to this controversial field, that is to say to the disputed terrain, the contested sward

Oh get on with it man...

the ever-popular topic of weather-or-not,

I see a (coarse, of course) divergence between models where the modelee  has tried for a plausible scale level of 'brushed up against the universe-ness' in the subject, opposing those in which the subject mules to display technique, the later in some well-known weathering publications often ending up approximating a colour photo with the contrast and saturation turned to 11 before the photo is even taken. 

I call the latter 'pre-Photoshopping'......

You pays your Monet and takes your chances,

more in sorrow than in Ingres,

&etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I wondered how long it would be before you pitched up Bill. Is there any truth in the rumour that if Mrs Navybird wants a big favour from you, all she has to do is cover herself in white plastic card?

You really don't want to know. Really. Trust me on this one.

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 22/11/2017 at 02:20, perdu said:

I am not going to go deeply into that but there was one very lovely helicopter displayed with a photograph of the actual real living helicopter, live parked on the ground in front of the photographer

Tidy machine in a fine pastellish colour scheme, well kept, nicely presented with very little obvious marking round access panels

The proud modeller had finished it beautifully, I liked the model :)

Except he then proceeded to overlay every seam, joint and doorway in pale grey messy mist

So I detested the model  :(

life sucks sometimes

........In a nutshell.

On 22/11/2017 at 02:45, RidgeRunner said:

I found another for you:

Moscow Zhukovsky - Aug 2005

Martin

Nice one Martin, thanks.

On 22/11/2017 at 05:08, TheBaron said:

Great name for a The Moody Blues tribute band...or a relatively unsuccessful racehorse.

As a relative newcomer to this controversial field, that is to say to the disputed terrain, the contested sward

Oh get on with it man...

the ever-popular topic of weather-or-not,

I see a (coarse, of course) divergence between models where the modelee  has tried for a plausible scale level of 'brushed up against the universe-ness' in the subject, opposing those in which the subject mules to display technique, the later in some well-known weathering publications often ending up approximating a colour photo with the contrast and saturation turned to 11 before the photo is even taken. 

I call the latter 'pre-Photoshopping'......

You pays your Monet and takes your chances,

more in sorrow than in Ingres,

&etc.

I think I understood that. :confused:

On 22/11/2017 at 05:30, 71chally said:

Cracking internal shots there, with those to hand Martian can not let us down now!

I love the way you Guys let me go for the simple OOB build!

On 22/11/2017 at 06:17, Scimitar said:

Just in case you decide that grey isn't the new black!

Great picture Richard but in my case, grey is the new grey .

On 22/11/2017 at 06:47, Scimitar said:

I have no idea but when I get her phone number at the Kazan Helicopter Plant,I'll ask

Looks like I might need to visit the factory in person for sone deep research. What was that you want me to do with myself Mrs Martian.

On 22/11/2017 at 07:14, 71chally said:

That has it all, a rich pallete of colours, brush painted artistry, a 1:1 scale helicopter, a very nice....

I could go on!

Still no pre-shading, chipping or washes though. Someone, preferably me, needs to have a word with the young lady.

On 22/11/2017 at 07:57, Navy Bird said:

You really don't want to know. Really. Trust me on this one.

Cheers,

Bill

Au contraire Bill, we really do, don't we chaps?

On 22/11/2017 at 07:59, 71chally said:

It's all to do with the 'Hormones'!

That's so bad its funny! :rofl2:

Martian

Meanwhile at the modelling bench..........

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

...............Construction has begun by starting to try and sort out the interior layout of the dipping sonar area. I began by filling holes for the equipment racks at the rear of the cabin. This allows the racks to be placed a bit further to the fuselage sides, thus allowing more space for the sonar bout housing. I have also boxed in the sonar well where I had cut away the doors. The equipment racks have been assembled and are curing so as I can get them cleaned up. Some time has also been spent on getting rid of the ejector pin marks on the inside of the fuselage halves as some of these look as though they might be a bit prominent on the completed model.

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10

A start

A very well considered and thought out

Er that factory visit, would you need someone to er, persue translate for you?

Happy to assist old bean

Least I could do

Be good to get out for a while...

OK I'll wait for the pictures to come back...

😠

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 22/11/2017 at 06:47, Scimitar said:

I have no idea but when I get her phone number at the Kazan Helicopter Plant,I'll ask

There you go, Bill; those jars of what looks like brown & grey snot in the foreground are for painting the panel lines.

All this talk of hormones; let’s face it, guys, at our age we’re far more likely to need a new Hip.

• Haha 9

4 hours ago, perdu said:

A start

A very well considered and thought out

Er that factory visit, would you need someone to er, persue translate for you?

Happy to assist old bean

Least I could do

Be good to get out for a while...

OK I'll wait for the pictures to come back...

😠

Thanks Bill. Not much translation required for what I have in mind though. :evil_laugh:

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

There you go, Bill; those jars of what looks like brown & grey snot in the foreground are for painting the panel lines.

All this talk of hormones; let’s face it, guys, at our age we’re far more likely to need a new Hip.

I'm willing to give it a go all the same.

4 hours ago, perdu said:

I cede to the member opposite, it does look like snot

😕

Either that or she is using Humbrol acrylics which pretty much amounts to the same thing.

Martian

• Like 2
  • Haha 3