Kamov 28 Helix, Hobby Boss 1/48

Martian

Those are fantastic photos.  Some of it looks very familiar (albeit with that unmistakeable Russian turquoise green everywhere), and some is most odd.  What are the huge rack of large electronic boxes in that rack in the back?  Sonobuoy receivers?  And I assume the body under the tail must be a towable MAD bird.

The rotor head, however, is positively restrained, logical and simple in comparison with a Sea King!

Still, with references like that I’m expecting a fully-plumbed-in 1/48 dipping sonar installation...  No pressure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Thanks Massimo, those are fantastic pictures and just what the vet ordered. For some reason my build just got a lot more complicated!

Crisp, as it happens the dipping sonar is on the cards and the doors for it already opened up. The weapons bay is a bit of a conundrum as either the kit bay is too narrow or the Quickboost depth bombs too large, I can't figure out which at the moment so I'm not cutting that open until such times as I can find out which is the case. Never mind, its not as though there is nothing else to occupy me on this build.

Martian

• Like 3

On 11/19/2017 at 2:18 AM, Martian Hale said:

using Bergamot decals.

So you have stocked up on Earl Grey for this build?

This looks like a great Martin project..... I will watch with interest and have already saved Massimo's pictures for my 1/72 build(s) in future.

• Like 2

A quick question Murmillo.

Are your photos of the helicopter which Flankerman posted in post 26?

If so then it's a Ka-25 Hormone rather than a Ka-27 Helix.

Martian.

Found this photo of a torpedo which you know you now have to do!

Ka-27%2000001%20A%20static%20Kamov%20Ka-

• Like 3

5 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

Looking forward to this one Martian. 

If I remember correctly, our own Nigel heath did a build of one of these, might be worth checking out for points. 

Matt

Thanks Matt. I vaguely remember him doing one in 1/72 scale.

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

:hmmm:I recently saw your 'name and left field' mentioned in the same sentence .....

I'm thinking so far left field you're coming in the right hand back door  :whistle:

I'm looking forward to the entertainment this blog is sure to provide

Kev

Thanks Kev, I'm sure its only a matter of time before the thread starts to digress in some strange direction. It always seems to happen to my threads; can't think why! :huh:

1 hour ago, Ed Russell said:

This looks like a great Martin project..... I will watch with interest and have already saved Massimo's pictures for my 1/72 build(s) in future.

Tea? Urine from the last leper in hell! I think this thread will be powered by good old fashioned British real ale! :beer:

1 hour ago, amos brierley said:

Good to see you at the Nats, like this subject,  watching how you get on. ;)

And you Amos.

12 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Oooh baby...I'm in. Hope there is a lot of white card stock.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

I wondered how long it would be before you pitched up Bill. Is there any truth in the rumour that if Mrs Navybird wants a big favour from you, all she has to do is cover herself in white plastic card?

Martian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

A quick question Murmillo.

Are your photos of the helicopter which Flankerman posted in post 26?

If so then it's a Ka-25 Hormone rather than a Ka-27 Helix.

Martian.

Found this photo of a torpedo which you know you now have to do!

Ka-27%2000001%20A%20static%20Kamov%20Ka-

That is rather tempting...............................:hmmm:

Martian

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flankerman said:

PS - Just found this photo........

6823057.jpg

...which indicates that it is in Belgrade.

Yes, a great museum. It is attractive for its many indigenous exhibits. Worth a visit.

Martin

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

"Bergamot" decals?

Keep thinking about it Martin!

There's a fair degree of commonality of appearance between the Ka-27, 28, 29 and 31 and it's sometimes hard to figure out what a particular one is. In 1/72 the Begemot decals cover several variants.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Thanks for those Richard, duly saved for future reference.

6 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Absolutely, and a fairly common sight if you ever holiday in Goa ;)

Martin

The Indian one will fit in nicely with my collection of British and Commonwealth naval types.

2 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Keep thinking about it Martin!

There's a fair degree of commonality of appearance between the Ka-27, 28, 29 and 31 and it's sometimes hard to figure out what a particular one is. In 1/72 the Begemot decals cover several variants.

Sorry, I was clearly having a bit of a green moment there! I agree about the difficulty of figuring out the different variants but fortunately I have quite a few pictures of Indian cabs.

I have been wondering about the colour of the Indian machines, they seem to be a lighter colour to the normal Russian helicopter grey. Although I am as colour blind as an array of colour blind hedgehogs from the Hungarian school of art in a bag, I am wondering if they are not painted in medium sea grey or a colour very close to it? I would welcome peoples ides on this and what acrylic paint to use when I come to start painting exterior parts.

Martian

• Like 1

That grey, it looks almost white doesn't it, I wonder if a white dirtied with black might not do it

The flow Martian

You gotta go with the flow, man/alien

And no making it with those negative vibes...

😨

• Haha 2