Whats a good colour to use for periscope lens (on Russian AFV)? Not planning to used clear.cheers rod

spoondog13

Depends on which era you are modelling?

Modern optics have various coatings on them and the only optic I've seen with a blue tint  is one of the gunners sights on a T90 which is possibly just a anti reflective coating.

Personally I would use transparent green over silver to replicate armoured glass found on tank periscopes, I've never seen a blue periscope lens on any tank yet. :o

Mig Ammo Periscope crystal green is probably one of the best transparent colours I've found (Mig 096) 

HTH

Dan

Armoured glass without any coatings will always have a green tint, darker with more thickness.  IR coatings generally seem to be reddish or purplish.  Never seen blue.  IR lenses will be a dark red.  If you use a metallic base coat then several transparent coats will be necessary to give the right depth impression.  The visual impression from any distance is generally dark.  If your kit has clear periscope etc parts then I would be tempted to paint the inside of the housing dark to give that depth impression and tint the clear parts.

You can get pre-cut tinted adhesive film for some kits' optics, or plain sheet for self-cutting.  Solves the painting problem.