B-26 Marauder fuselage stencils

Nils

Hi

I'm working on building some Martin Marauder types, (as 3D computer models) and in the texturing process I have tried to find out what the fuselage stencils on the fwd fuselages/nose of the Mauders says. In many profile drawings and photos I've seen that there seems to be several versions of these stencils. Some has much text written, while on others, just the essential; build no, fuel type and so on. Now I know you guys are pretty thorough modellers, so I have a hope... could anybody here direct me to somewhere I could read what the differenet texts says (I could probably make up something, but I like it to be the correct text)

Try Googling "B-26 Marauder nose art" as an image search, and then chasing good images to see them at high resolution.  It is quite likely that you'll see variations on the theme, but the basic idea goes something like this:

First line: U.S. ARMY B-26... (gives specific model)

Second line: AIR FORCES SERIAL NO. 43- 123456 (just an example of format)

can't make out subsequent lines, which probably give crew weight, and "service this aircraft with..." about fuel.

another line: PROJECT NO. 435235 (made up number) - this pertains to where this aircraft was intended to go.  Presumably once it was in the ETO it was a moot point.

The example I looked at has another line of text lower, but I think that pertains to the armor plate that this data block is on.

Also, if you can find a B-26 Erection and Maintenance Manual it may spell out what the data block should contain.

Edited by gingerbob

Gingerbob thanks,  yep I found some of these myself but also as I said I've seen a great variety of both different text contents, some short and others extensive and also the location of the text blocks varies. Sometimes just behind the nose glazing on the port side, sometimes down and a furter back almost at the pilot's left knee and then again both at the same time... Pretty confusing. I was hoping a  sort of manual of some kind to solve the puzzle. I guess you all know www.primeportal.net great site of hundreds of walkarounds but of cours, the one that looked useful, the larger inages didn't work..

Contact the Air & Space museum in Washington D.C. They have Flak Bait which to my knowledge is the only original non-restored marauder in existence. They might be able to help. If not try the Nat’l. Museum of the U.S.Air Force in Dayton ohio. They have a very large Research library open with appointment. They might also have the info you seek. HTH

Dennis