Douglas A-4B Skyhawk Argentine Air Force - Airfix 1/72 (A03029)

Hi all

For my next project I have decided to build an A-4B Skyhawk from Argentine Air Force during the Falklands conflict in 1982.

Politics aside, the conflict proved that skilled pilots can make a difference even when using an outdated, or inferior material. In this case the old and still reliable Scooter (Douglas A-4B Skyhawk). 

This is a challenging subject, since the resources available are, quite often, not reliable or conflicting. I was fortunate to find an amazing tread in a scale modelling forum where the author (FAAMAN) made a comprehensive article (post) in regards to the Argentinian Skyhawks.

This post will be my guide through this building, you can read it HERE.

(Images used are in the public domain and used for educational purposes only)

I have decided to built the A-4B C-242,  as seen im late May 1982. It was flown by Primer Teniente (1st Lt) Guadagnini. Unfortunately he was killed on the the 23rd during the attack to HMS Antelope. 

Guadagnini.jpg

Primer Teniente Luciano Guadagnini

Following is the accounting for that day:

23 MAY 1982:

A flight of four Grupo 5 A-4B Skyhawks attack in two groups. The first attack is led by Capitan Carballo with Primer teniente Alferez Gomez flying his wing. They approach HMS Antelope fast and low over the water. The results of the attack are one 1000 lb. un-exploded bomb in the Antelope's stern. It is believed that the Skyhawk piloted by Alférez H. Gómez stroke Antelope with the 1000 lb. bomb that did not explode. (Later this bomb did explode while being defused, leading to further explosions that sunk the ship.) Capaitan Carballo's Skyhawk is severely damaged by AAA and an exploding SAM, and barely escapes a second SAM. Carvballo's damaged Skyhawk makes it back to base and post-flight inspection finds a damaged fin on one of his drop tanks. This may have been caused by striking the mast rigging of the Antelope.
The second attack from this flight is flown by Primer Teniente Guadagnini and Teniente Rinke and results in another 1000 lb. unexploded bomb in the Antelope. Primer Teniente Guadagnini flying A-4B Skyhawk C-242 was killed when his Skyhawk was struck, mostly likely by a British Sea Wolf SAM from HMS Broadsword.

Later,Argentine Navy Third Escuadrilla A-4Q Skyhawks, attack the British Frigate Antelope. The Navy flight consisted of Capitan de Corbeta Castro Fox and Zubizarreta, Benitez and Oliverira. Zuizarreta would die when his aircraft, laden with un-expended ordinance he could not discard, blew a tire causing his aircraft to veer of the runway upon landing. Zuizarreta ejected but did not have the needed speed to facilitate completion of the chute deployment and was killed. His aircraft, 3-A-309 ironically was not damaged.

C-242_profile.jpg

C-242 shot down by SAMs and AAA on the 23rd May 1982 whilst attacking HMS Antelope, the pilot Primer Teniente Guadagnini was killed, ‘B’ pattern camouflage with standard ‘official’ I.D. bands in six positions 

Photo Resource

C-242_001.jpg

C-242 Before applying the yellow ID bands in 6 positions

C-242_003.JPG

C-242 (forefront aircraft on the right) with yellow ID bands applied

Here is the final model:

Painted with Tamiya acrylic paints.

A4B_arg_0001.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-2.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-9.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-3.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-4.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-5.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-6.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-7.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-8.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-10.jpg

A-4B_Argentine.jpg

That's all folks!

• Like 30

When I clicked on that last photo and it went full size it was like "BOOOOOM"!!!!!!

Great build and finish.

Really like the back story, the different scheme and the final weathering and finishes.

Top stuff!

Might have to get me a Skyhawk I think :)

Cheers

Bruce 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winenut said:

When I clicked on that last photo and it went full size it was like "BOOOOOM"!!!!!!

Great build and finish.

Really like the back story, the different scheme and the final weathering and finishes.

Top stuff!

Might have to get me a Skyhawk I think :)

Cheers

Bruce 

As far as I know you have one mate. Just waiting to be built.

Cheers

Paulo

• Haha 1

A background history makes any model that much more interesting, and especially if it includes personal details.

Great finish and an eye opener livery!

If there're any slightly distracting details, they concern the symmetry of construction. The main wheels seem to have some uncharacteristic negative camber, the nose gear looks skewed from the vertical and the raised canopy likewise – all seen from the straight ahead second photo, compared to the real thing:

Douglas%20A-4B%20Skyhawk-015-S.jpg

Otherwise, splendid and interesting modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

This is simply outstanding, one on my MUST TO DO list, and i will be happy if i manage to get near look to your model.

I like the colors and weathering very much.

And to add, always liked planes with the story behind, and this one have it for sure. Thank you for that

Best regards Djordje

Edited by djos
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

A background history makes any model that much more interesting, and especially if it includes personal details.

Great finish and an eye opener livery!

If there're any slightly distracting details, they concern the symmetry of construction. The main wheels seem to have some uncharacteristic negative camber, the nose gear looks skewed from the vertical and the raised canopy likewise – all seen from the straight ahead second photo, compared to the real thing:

Douglas%20A-4B%20Skyhawk-015-S.jpg

Otherwise, splendid and interesting modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Yes! I've noticed these mistakes after the photos and I'm working to fix them.

Thanks for the honest advise!

Cheers

Paulo

• Like 1