Trumpeter 1/32nd F-100D July 4th 100% complete

I started this a little while ago and I have posted some of the progress on LSP. I have always liked the Hun and fondly remember the Danes displaying theirs at Mildenhall around 1980. I acquired the kit when it first came out - so I am guessing around 10 years ago. Along the way I also acquired the Avionix Cockpit, Aires Cockpit, Aires U/C bays and Aires Engine. Along with the Big Ed sets of PE - lots of PE!

I have two Squadron Signal Walk arounds as my main references along with the web. One of these is from the late 70's by Lou Drendel and the second is the latest version.

The biggest issue that has stopped me ever starting this model is the mass of holes masquerading as rivets all over this model - the "Mad Riveter" was very gainfully employed at Trumpeter at this time. I finally decided to bite the bullet and got a fresh pot of Mr. Surfacer 500 and plastered it all over the offending areas. Therefore the whole model 🙂

I am sure there will be another round of "glooping" and then lots of sanding and re-scribing.

0qtLoF.jpg

06DCrk.jpg

CiKmBM.jpg

Edited by crobinsonh
  • Like 1

In addition this is the first pass on the Aires cockpit tub. I chose the Aires version over the Avionix tub as there are some slightly better details and it is actually slightly simpler in construction. I also chose the Aires Ejector Seat as it did not have the parachute pack cast into the seat which I remember many more knowledgable commentators at the time of the Avionix release stating that this would have been very rare.

7AGx6R.jpg

w8G0im.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Over the last few months since I originally started this model I have made some more progress. I have painted the Aires U/C bays and Aires Ejector Seat and added a few more details here and there.

The cockpit tub and Ejector Seat first.

39h5wa.jpg

kpSHno.jpg

and now the U/C bays.

mhZoBa.jpg

NRfCrg.jpg

and now all together...

60T6NL.jpg

More updates soon (I hope).

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, F111Fan said:

Amazing work so far! Are you going to re-do the rivets in a softer manner or just leave them off?

Hi,

I am going to sand them down which will leave much smaller indents and then re-scribe everything. At least that is the plan :-)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bucckit said:

Another beautiful cockpit, you're pipe work in the bay is also lovely.I remember admiring it before on your Bandai Y wing. Nice photos too.

Good memory - remembering the Y-Wing. That was around 18 months ago and I have completed nothing since the Y-Wing and the Falcon. My Kids (all grown up) joke about the number of cockpits I have painted and then put back in the box with no more progress on the model. I am planning on this one to be a little different.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, crobinsonh said:

Hi,

I am going to sand them down which will leave much smaller indents and then re-scribe everything. At least that is the plan :-)

Awesome. Look forward to watching this develop - I've got designs on Trumpy's 1/32 Thud, so this will no doubt give me some good ideas in the riveting and painting department. Great work!

Lots of cutting today - bated breadth to see how good or bad the Aires resin for fit is.

You can see where I have removed the nose wheel bay which is integral to the jet intake assembly and removed the main U/C bay from the fuselage halves. We now have a "floppy" F-100D! I have also removed all of the detail around the cockpit area ready for the Aires tub.

pRgq24.jpg

The main U/C bay is - as quite often with Aires resin shorter than the hole it needs to fill. Why Aires cannot resolve this at the master stage I do not know. 

3JrTM4.jpg
  • Like 9

Sort more progress today - I have a couple of days off this week and with a change of job I am no longer flying everywhere so I have more time and more inclination to model. At least that is the plan :-)

Spent time looking at the various panels that will need to be closed. You cannot have the ammo panels open when you use the Aires resin cockpit set so I decided to close them all up. I painted what I could research or guess the relevant internal colour in case you can see anything through the open cockpit or open vents etc.

oYN3SH.png

qcAssS.png

The fit of the gun barrels if I included the complete cannon was a bit of a pig (although this may well be my fault) so I decided that as the panel is to be closed I could save myself a lot of pain by just cutting the barrels off and mounting directly. All held in place with blu tack and super glue.

• Like 3

Tackled two steps - one the fit of the Aires main U/C bay. As is more the norm with Aires the bay is slightly too small and the curves do not fit as well as you would perhaps expect. The answer here is superglue and filer.

The second step was to replace the kit internal airbrake detail with that provided by Eduard PE in their Big Ed set. Next I need to tackle the airbrake door itself - also provided in PE by Aires.

jsMeBe.jpg

To fit the U/C bay and the airbrake I decided to use white tac and superglue to hold in position. As usual with Trumpy kits the fit is more like a 70's Airfix kit IMO and therefore I decided to add some additional plastic card tabs.

I now need to start looking at fitting the nose wheel bay and anything else before the fuselage halves can be closed.
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

A few more updates on the "engineering side" First off as I was fitted the Zacto replacement nose with the requisite surgery to the Trumpeter nose causing a few issues. As I need to ensure the minimum amount of fit issues and sanding I cut the end off a micro brush and inserted it to keep things in place.

ZS3ieF.png

After doing this I continued with the nose U/C bay area.  Again after removing the Trumpeter part that is moulded into the jet intakes there where potential issues with structural rigidity and most importantly fit. I did not want a situation with awkward gaps needing to be filled when the fuselage halves are finally assembled or even worse the Aires nose U/C part coming free and rattling around inside the model.  Its not like I have had that happen before when modelling  frantic.gif

29koMM.png

I am pretty pleased with how that all worked out as the Aires nose U/C bay seems to fit pretty well.

rla5TU.png

I decided to replace the Trumpeter airbrake with the Eduard PE part. I am not always convinced with the 2D nature of PE but in this case there was a big improvement in detail.

T0S9qq.png

After this I moved to add more engineering support both with plastic card tabs and lots of white tac and super glue to hold everything.

d73KO1.png

IipEjV.png
  • Like 4

I now needed to complete some more work on the bulkhead behind the cockpit. This left two issues to resolve 1) the Aires part was too short and secondly even with hot water the part was somewhat curved.

xaIx4r.png

ekouzh.png

Hopefully some more progress later this weekend.
  • Like 7

Progress continues on the F-100D. Knowing that I had reduced the structural rigidity by removing the gear bays and other details I decided to be quite deliberate regarding which side I glued the intake and the Aires resin bays etc in an effort to produce a little bit of a jigsaw puzzle that would lock together nicely as I

approached the drama of assembling the fuselage. Hopefully the following images display this clearly.

IZar2k.jpg

TT7K6w.jpg

GxnmXj.jpg

7rA2sC.jpg

In addition I continued to finish some of the smaller details. I made the decision to use the Eduard coloured PE for the instrument panel, repainted the same colour as the cockpit as well as using the black box cockpit coaming as I preferred it to the item supplied by Aires with their cockpit that I have used. I also added some small details that are very clear on the real aircraft but are not supplied by Trumpy or Aires.

u1M4oN.png

T0QIJb.png

Next up is finishing the ejector seat and getting the fuselage together.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The wonder of Christmas - more modelling time.

I am now working on the wings. I chose not to use the Aires main U/C bays as they where only a little more detailed and would have been a pig to fit. In addition the plugs for where the main U/C legs are to fit did not look as good as the Trumpeter parts. I have filled all the "divots" with Mr Surfacer so there "should be" much more of an impression rather than holes. In addition you may notice little tick marks in pencil - this was a reminder to me of each line that I re-scribed.

F9YJKz.png

W6FCrZ.png

G6LjdZ.jpg

8MjnXA.jpg

nJFfzU.png

I am planning to get the fuselage together later on this evening.
  • Like 6

Some more progress. Lots of sanding now completed and I have added the Eduard Airframe PE set. I have to say this is a pretty comprehensive set. A little worried that it may appear a little "thick" after the primer coat.

xnQs54.png

5NFAEJ.png

0hI8VD.png

E71oqU.png

M95gRS.png

5iO5wq.png

Next steps are to actually fit the wings and tailplanes as I move closer to the first primer coat. I am actually really excited to get this one into the paint shop as a worn ANG bird at the end of its life.

• Like 4