Airfix Canberra B(I)6 1/72

Lord Riot

I've just successfully bid on eBay for this delightful kit from yesteryear - the one with the large wasp unit marking (214 sqn); has anyone attempted one of these fairly recently? Is it reasonable built OOB or will I need all sorts of extras to make it look good?

Anything to look out for, tips, etc? 

Overall the Airfix Canberra goes together quite well, however has one major flaw and that concerns the overall bulbous nose section. It would pay to hunt down an Aeroclub nose conversation in order to correct this as (if your pedantic - like me) you’ll never be happy with the shape if built straight OOB

It has fine raised panel lines, however if ever there was a clean aircraft that lacked panel lines, then surely the smooth skin of the Canberra is just that aircraft. 

Good luck.. Dave 

P.S - Looks like Selwyn beat me to it, however it’s a pretty obvious flaw. 

• Like 1

Here's one that I built for a colleague's father in 2014.  Agreeing with what's been said about the nose.

Airfix_Canberra_B(I)6.jpg

He bought the kit ages ago, as his father was a navigator on 213 Squadron, and had flown WT307.

Airfix_CanberraB(I)6.jpg

Then asked me to build it, after seeing a few of my models.

This build is totally OOB, no aftermarket extras..  

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info
  • Like 1

That looks fantastic! If mine turns out like that I'll be more than happy! Damn good show.

I recall from many years ago, Canberras need a fair amount of weight in the nose, is that correct?

7 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

That looks fantastic! If mine turns out like that I'll be more than happy! Damn good show.

I recall from many years ago, Canberras need a fair amount of weight in the nose, is that correct?

Yes!

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Mine has a prop under that tail in the first photo.  It was always going onto a stand - so nose-ballast was never considered. 

@Lord Riot as every one as pointed out the big issue is the nose, I dont know how involved you want to get in fixing this problem but a quick and very easy way to improve the look is to paint the clear nose cone up to the base of the optical flat bomb aimer's window on the nose cap as that is where it should be. I've tried to illustrate it in the following photos. 

First as it comes in the kit

oMracz.jpg this photo gives an indication of what it would look like filled and painted to the right position, you could also mask a part of the clear nose cap to represent the secondary window that should be there.

oMrSF1.jpgAnother issue with the nose is the deep collar around the opening where the canopy sits, this could be improved by reducing and blending to make it less prominent.

oMrFGG.jpg

The rest of the fuselage is very good, it's the only kit that has the gap under the tail planes, but it does have the fictitious set of fuel filler caps on the right hand side but the Airfix kit it's not alone in this! The cockpit interior such as it is leaves a lot to be desired, the seat's are a joke, there are plenty of resin seats around that claim to be 2cs but non are quite right but far better than the kit items. The wings are good in plan but the aerofoil section is too flat, the engine nacelles are too thin, the compressor front's are nonexistent and the starter cartridge fairing is too small. The undercarriage is good, the doors are a little on the thick side and the small auxiliary engine doors that fit behind the main wheel doors are too small and not the right shape. The total lack of wheel wells may or not be an issue? if they are boxing in isn't too hard and there are a few resin set's around that you can used. You can do a lot to make things better if you want but don't be put off, even if you build it straight from the box it still looks Canberra like! I hope that helps! 

John   

• Like 6

2 hours ago, canberra kid said:

@Lord Riot as every one as pointed out the big issue is the nose, I dont know how involved you want to get in fixing this problem but a quick and very easy way to improve the look is to paint the clear nose cone up to the base of the optical flat bomb aimer's window on the nose cap as that is where it should be. I've tried to illustrate it in the following photos. 

oMracz.jpg this photo gives an indication of what it would look like filled and painted to the right position, you could also mask a part of the clear nose cap to represent the secondary window that should be there.

oMrSF1.jpgAnother issue with the nose is the deep collar around the opening where the canopy sits, this could be improved by reducing and blending to make it less prominent.

oMrFGG.jpg

The rest of the fuselage is very good, it's the only kit that has the gap under the tail planes, but it does have the fictitious set of fuel filler caps on the right hand side but the Airfix kit it's not alone in this! The cockpit interior such as it is leaves a lot to be desired, the seat's are a joke, there are plenty of resin seats around that claim to be 2cs but non are quite right but far better than the kit items. The wings are good in plan but the aerofoil section is too flat, the engine nacelles are too thin, the compressor front's are nonexistent and the starter cartridge fairing is too small. The undercarriage is good, the doors are a little on the thick side and the small auxiliary engine doors that fit behind the main wheel doors are too small and not the right shape. The total lack of wheel wells may or not be an issue? if they are boxing in isn't too hard and there are a few resin set's around that you can used. You can do a lot to make things better if you want but don't be put off, even if you build it straight from the box it still looks Canberra like! I hope that helps! 

John   

Excellent, a man who knows his stuff.Comprehensive and concise. Going to get Canberra for myself asap.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, canberra kid said:

oMrFGG.jpg

John   

Thank you John - that's fantastic advice! I'll definitely paint the nose cone as you suggest, maybe a bit of sanding around that cockpit rim too. This is brilliant stuff, very much appreciated.