Spitfire PR.IG Diorama ( with a twist ) 1/72 Scale

With the bases cut from the figures, they were ready to attach to the diorama. We used both PVA and Cyano, depending on the gluing area of the figure. Lego blocks were used to hold them in place while the glue set. A few other crates and oil drums were also added.

pink_spit_049.jpg

The refuelling guy had a piece of copper wire cyanoed to his hands for the hose. I did all the work with the Cyano. I didn't want little fingers stuck together! He would be positioned on the wing, about to stand to fill the fuselage tank. Unfortunately there were no suitable standing refuelling figures in the RAF ground crew set.

pink_spit_050.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

The refueller took a bit of wire bending on my part to get the hose to sit right along the ground and up onto the wing. Once it was laying flat along the ground, we glued and weighted down the airman and hose to set, otherwise he may have ended up bobbing around on the end of the wire for ever more! 

pink_spit_053.jpg

So finally in Janauary 2017, a little over two years after starting, her diorama was complete. She's very proud of her achievements and I'm a very proud dad!

pink_spit_054.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

While we really enjoyed the build, there wasn't really anywhere to display the completed diorama. I few months later I framed it in a wall hanging 3D picture frame, and it was sold at the Breighton aerodrome aerojumble in May. We made back the kit price and a nice profit on top which was spent on some new Lego sets.

spitfire_pr_2017_001.jpg

Before framing, we set the model up against a black background for some all round photos.

pink_spit_055.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

All the kits are quite dated and show their age, but the Spitfire with its low parts count, made a great second model, and another lesson in patients and precision, something the computer game generations don't always have.

For quite a few years, I was a college technician in the Art & Design workshop. The number of 16 to 18 year olds who came in without any clue of tools was shocking; even to the point of coming into the workshop, grabbing a handful of screws and a hammer! It was depressing!!

pink_spit_058.jpg

pink_spit_059.jpg

pink_spit_060.jpg

pink_spit_061.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

pink_spit_070.jpg

pink_spit_071.jpg

pink_spit_072.jpg

pink_spit_073.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the build and finished diorama.

The next build started a month later in February 2017; "Snoopy verses the Red Baron", but that's another story!!

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2