HMS Endurance (1967) - looking for overhead view

I am looking for overhead views, similar to the one below, of the ice patrol ship HMS Endurance, the one that served from 1967 to 1991, for a build project.  I've searched the web and googled etc., but have been unable to find images showing the deck machinery and fittings.

I photocopied this image decades ago, before colour and hi-res, but the detail is too grainy for my project.  I don't know where this source image came from so I can't re-scan it.  Something like this, hopefully in colour and hi-res, would be just right.

HMS Endurance - before her 1987 refit and flight deck redesign/conversion.

hms_endurance_overhead_1000.jpg

I would be grateful to see, or hear about, any images that would show this sort of detail.

Thanks.

Mike

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

I've searched the web and googled etc., but have been unable to find images showing the deck machinery and fittings.

Already checked those Dave but they don't show overhead views in any detail that can be used for modelling.

Mike

Thanks Andrew, but £18.50 is a bit steep (actually, very steep) for a 7" x 5" photo.  Thanks for pointing these out for me though.

I just wish I could find the original of the b/w photocopy that I posted.

Mike

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Mike, thus website appears to have the same photo as your scan.

http://www.mclaren.gs/bscott.html 

It appears to be fairly high res on my phone, maybe some help if you haven't seen it already

Steve.

Hi Steve,

That's the image and it does look to be of a higher res.  I've saved a copy and will work on it tomorrow to enhance it.  I need to identify where the capstans, winches and bollards etc. need to go, especially those on the foc'sl

Thanks.

Just now, RANDYLIZARD1978 said:

Navy news will have a supply of images of her, maybe contact them.

Hi Randy,

Most of the Navy News editions are on-line now and I've gone through them all without much success.  Loads of images of Endurance but, like most ship photographers, they tend to take distant oblique-bow shots which don't show where the deck fittings are.  I will give NN a call though, just in case they can help.

Thanks.

Mike

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, I've checked the photographs on my dad's PC (one of the saddest things I've ever had to do but that's another story) and, somewhat unsurprisingly as he was 23 and it was his first time in the sub-Antartic, most of the photographs are of the wildlife, sea and landscape around the Falklands and South Georgia. 

I'm sure there are slides of the ship which he hadn't scanned and I know my mum has a Christmas card from him which has a photograph of Endurance, I can definitely take a photograph and might be able to scan it; I'll let you know after my next visit to her.

• 7 months later...

Are you still looking for information Mike?

I took a dozen or so photos of the large scale model of Endurance model at the FAA Museum last month - think recruiting office model from back in the day - she's post-87 as there are 2 Lynx's on the flihgt deck.

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

Those photo's would be of great help please.  Although the flight deck had been raised, much of the  area forward of that was virtually the same as before.  The main area of concern for me is the gap between the forward and aft accommodation blocks; hopefully your photo's might help identify that.

cheers

Mike

Thanks, I have fired off an email to them but I'm not sure they would hold anything about the structure of a Royal Naval ship.

cheers

Mike

Don't overlook the Maritime Press Royal Navy In Focus (RNIF) series.  There's a July 68 B+W photo from sea level on p.58 of RNIF1960-69 and an undated colour shot from alongside but slightly above on p.70 of RNIF 1970-79TBH neither is the overhead shot you asked for but they are nice large (A4) clear photos, mostly from the Wright & Logan collection.

I've got a couple of friends who were Flt Cdrs in ENDURANCE in the mid to late 80s.  I'll drop them a line on LinkedIn and see if any of them have any that they may have taken.

Thanks.  Nothing came back from the SPRI so still looking.

What is more ironic is that I used to walk past her, on my way to Fountain Lake Jetty, each morning whilst she was in refit!  :undecided:  I never thought to take any other photo's. :doh:

hms_endurance_1981.jpg

cheers

Mike