Lanc BIII Question

Uncle Pete

Another question from Uncle Pete, The Muggle... I know I could probably Google it but I prefer the personal touch (besides, the answers I get from you guys are always much better than those supplied by Mr Google).  I built the Airfix Dambusters Lanc with an Upkeep and I'm thinking of getting another and fit it with a Tallboy or Grand Slam.  (What can I tell you?  I love Lancs!)  Is it the right Lanc or should I look for another version?  And is it within the limitations of a bodger like myself to make it work?  (Bear in mind I'm far from a rivet counter but I like to give it my best shot).  And do any of the Tallboy or Grand Slam add-ons have trolleys?  (Silly me threw away the trolley for the Upkeep... Didn't occur to me I could have parked it next to the plane).

The advantage of the dambuster version is that for the 'Grand Slam' version, it has the correct configuration: ie No top turret

If you look at plans showing the Grand Slam version then it doesn't take much to put in a flat bomb-bay and a small fairing either end.

For the 'Tallboy' version, the removal of the mid-upper was required, which the kit has,  but you would need some bulge bomb-doors . . . .

That's it in its basic need

Ian

• Thanks 1

Thanks, mate.... The Manc comes through. My missus is a Scouser so I have an affinity for you norverners even if you don't talk proper like wot we does!  Bulge bomb doors, eh?  Doesn't sound like something for my ten magic thumbs but the Grand Slam version sounds doable.  Just promise me you won't clean your glasses before looking at it. :worry:

• Like 1

Airfix released a GrandSlam Lancaster in 2001 - good luck finding one, here's how it builds:

Airfix_Lancaster_GS.jpg

As I remember, this kit had an additional sprue for the bomb,nose fairing, and the paddle props. Possibly the aircraft floor as well - but I don't think it re-uses anything from their Dambuster, which I've also built.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info
  • Thanks 1