Striking Back (1/72 Trumpeter Wellington Ic)

21 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You might revise that view after visiting Fakenham and much of Norfolk.

You may recall how Bob Hoskins dismisses the Mafia at the end of The Long Good Friday. He would not be nearly so sanguine had he experienced the rural delights America has to offer. Southern Michigan is a rancid banquet for the senses.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You might revise that view after visiting Fakenham and much of Norfolk.

[Note to any Norfolk residents: this is a joke.  I visit North Norfolk on holiday every year.  Mind you, I’d give Downham Market a pretty wide berth...]

Surely that was why they built the by-pass  :)

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

did he say stupid text box?

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

It would be rude not too!!  Do they have a modelling club?  Its crying out to start one if not..though not much building would be done if I was a member.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, amblypygid said:

Damn, that pub's only an hour away from me. And since I'm "building" a 192 Sqn Wellington, albeit a Foulsham, not Feltwell, era machine, that makes it a research visit, right?

Would be a crime not to!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Yes, we drive six hours to see my in-laws (360 miles, not counting rest stops, which are frequent with small children). Guess I'll just have to stay longer. It's no punishment to see more of Britain.

Sittingbourne (aka The Gateway to Sheppey) is delightful in November.

(No apologies to anyone who lives in Sittingbourne... it's a dreadful place, if you live there you know just how dreadful it is.)

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

Damn, that pub's only an hour away from me. And since I'm "building" a 192 Sqn Wellington, albeit a Foulsham, not Feltwell, era machine, that makes it a research visit, right?

We need your in depth review after the research visit. Also how many owls would you give it on Trip Advisor 🍺

Trevor

• Like 3

Just now, Beard said:

(No apologies to anyone who lives in Sittingbourne... it's a dreadful place, if you live there you know just how dreadful it is.)

But nicer than Sheppey, by virtue of being closer to civilisation, surely? Although I could see the Isle from just over the hill when I grew up, I've never been (and plan never to change that...)

5 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

We need your in depth review after the research visit.

I'll do my best, but I wouldn't be surprised if PC makes it there before me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, amblypygid said:

I'll do my best, but I wouldn't be surprised if PC makes it there before me!

You now have two assignments, which you may consider homework, and which will be graded.

1. Work on your Wellington, so that I may know what's coming.

2. Visit this pub. I, a stranger on the internet, command you.

7 hours ago, Beard said:

Sittingbourne (aka The Gateway to Sheppey) is delightful in November.

Ooh, there's a barge museum, and two Gothas were brought down over the town in 1918! 

I come from a country where the world's largest ball of twine is a roadside attraction, and I went to college in an industrial town where the industry had all left. All that was left to drive the economy was the courthouse.

Anyway, not much to report tonight, but I got in some episodes of Curse of the Fendahl (which was much better than I remembered it as a kid, having been amped up beforehand by the impressive paintings in this book, which did the Fendahleen rather more than justice -- but now that's part of the show's charm...even looking right at it, you have to use your imagination, which is no bad thing) and masked the front turret, then sprayed it Colourcoats Night Bomber Black, since I figured I'd want something that wouldn't lift or otherwise betray me.

2017-12-04_10-59-00

I had originally planned on assembling the turret, masking, and then spraying last, but I realised that would be super dumb, so here we are.

• Like 11

Dear Procopius,

Great to see another piece of Procopiusisation underway, so :drink:and :pie:at the ready!

If I may, for the geodetic structure how about using something like Vallejo Model Colour Silvergrey, (No. 152 / 70.883)? It has a light metallic appearance without any 'sparkle'. I use it frequently for dull/worn/weathered aluminium and/or light metal finishes. It might just provide the light metallic, but non-metallic, (if you get what I mean), grey finish that you are looking for.

Now The Wellington - great little pub and I can heartily recommend a pint, or two, or more... of Almost Home and Feltwellington Golden Ale. The Wellington also does, (did? please check!), B&B, which might be useful if one is to properly sample the local delights... The roads around; bit of a pig, but worth it for the end result.

Christian, exiled to a land with 5 beers, (well Lagers), that all taste the same:crying:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Possibly tonight, but I have laundry to fold. We'll see.

Phooey.

I have to admit that the first thing I think of when it comes to the Wellington is playing WitP, where Wellington Sqns can be brought to bear on Rangoon from bases in India. Do you know of any good references for actual Wellington ops in the Far East?

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Phooey.

I have to admit that the first thing I think of when it comes to the Wellington is playing WitP, where Wellington Sqns can be brought to bear on Rangoon from bases in India. Do you know of any good references for actual Wellington ops in the Far East?

The book I have is Wimpy: A Detailed History of the Vickers Wellington in service, 1938-1953, by Steve Bond, but it's pretty useless as a modelling reference, as it's about the dimensions of a normal hardcover book, with small, B&W-only photos. It does have a section on SEAC, as well as chapters on Main Force, Western Desert, and postwar use, but it seems to be mostly of the "short anecdote from aircrew, then paraphrasing the squadron ORB" variety, based off a quick skim. The three volumes of the Bloody Shambles series are probably your best bet, as they're day-by-day and blow-by-blow accounts.

Anyway, I'm happy to report the laundry is folded and I can treat you to some hot masking action:

20171206_230240

Unf, gentlemen. 

I hoped to finish the rear turret, but the Future had globbed on it as it sometimes does:

20171206_230227

So I got in there and sanded it down and re-futured it, because I never learn, and we'll see how it looks anon.

Here's where I left off on masking tonight:

20171206_235316

And here's where we are on the interior, which is awfully busy.

20171206_235311

I'd still appreciate any advice as to the colouration of these babies:

20171206_235213

Absent input, I'll probably go for Trainer Yellow, based on the kit colour call-out of Orange, but advice or photos of the real thing would be immensely appreciated.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good to see you got the chores done PC. What chores? Pint of bitter pl... oh, sorry, done that one before.

For fast laundry folding I suggest you put this on Mrs P's Christmas list. Sorted.

A quick look in British Explosive Ordnance p143 shows these might be Aircraft Illuminator Flares which were 'brown over-all'. Doesn't say what sort of brown, sadly. Great reference though.

Good work on the masking so far - may the Force be with you  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Do you know of any good references for actual Wellington ops in the Far East?

A friend of mine's grandfather flew in Wellingtons in the Far East and wrote a memoir. If I can get a copy, I'll scan it and post somewhere.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, CedB said:

For fast laundry folding I suggest you put this on Mrs P's Christmas list. Sorted.

No need - watch this....

Back to the Wimpy. Those bombs look strange and I’ve not seen them before. What are they meant to be?

Trevor

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Re the Future going lumpy. Don't sand it, drop the whole transparency in Windex (or other cleaner containing ammonia), swill it around a bit until the Future's gone (that sounds a bit post-apocalyptic, sorry), then haul it out, wash it, dry it, and reapply Future. Eliminates the need for putting itchy scratchy stuff near tender transparencies.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

No need - watch this....

I've seen this (and tried it), but in practice, it becomes "How to Get Edward to Emit a Mighty Oath", and the shirts don't get folded.

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Back to the Wimpy. Those bombs look strange and I’ve not seen them before. What are they meant to be?

Those are flares for tossing out the flare chute (which was also used for, I understand, dropping empty beer bottles upon the enemy). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Rob G said:

Re the Future going lumpy. Don't sand it, drop the whole transparency in Windex (or other cleaner containing ammonia), swill it around a bit until the Future's gone (that sounds a bit post-apocalyptic, sorry), then haul it out, wash it, dry it, and reapply Future. Eliminates the need for putting itchy scratchy stuff near tender transparencies.

Future's Gone would be a good name for a band, too. 

Normally that's what I'd do, but it would have taken more time, so I opted for the dumber, quicker, riskier option (story of my life). Unlike my life, it panned out.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

Future's Gone would be a good name for a band, too.

And that reminded me of this film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910554/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

If you do watch it, you have to watch right through the credits to the final scene.

(Or you could just fast forward)

It's a nice little film that was made for (it seems) not much money, but I like it.

32 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And that reminded me of this film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910554/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

If you do watch it, you have to watch right through the credits to the final scene.

(Or you could just fast forward)

It's a nice little film that was made for (it seems) not much money, but I like it.

Mrs P might enjoy this one as well. It's now on The List.

• Like 1