Dragon 6395 Sd. Kfz. 251/17C

Soeren

Well there, I started modelling again on christmas 2016, yeah, with on eof thos Tamiya kits, only realizing that the manufacturers have diversified. This was build after I did the Dragon Panther, thought to add a diorama with several vehicles and one should be air defense. Then I realised, that doin gon tank on a beermat is enough. So this ended as an individual vehicle. The build was nice, althogh I did soooo many mistakes on it. In the end I painted it, or repainted it to be in the Herman Goring 1944 callout from the Dragon manual and intended it to be in service for some time. So basecoat was German tank gray and the repainted in 1943 Tank Ochre from the Vallejo line. Wanted to try scratches, but not rusted, so all scratches were in gray. Then I wanted to try Oil colours, and I tried them , mainly at the front. I didnt do any dirt on this yet, because I couldt make up my mind on that yet.

Any recommendations are welcome. Still learning :)

DragonSd.Kfz.251-17C3.jpg

DragonSd.Kfz.251-17C4.jpg

DragonSd.Kfz.251-17C6.jpg

DragonSd.Kfz.251-17C1.jpg

DragonSd.Kfz.251-17C2.jpg

• Like 17

Hi Soeren,

I like your new avatar! :D When did you change it?

As for your half-track you've done a cracking job yet again. A tidy build, great colours, nice chipping, lovely weathering.

Regarding the colours, there is quite a marked difference between the colour of the vehicle and the gun (in the photos, anyway) However, it could be that during the war the gun was severely damaged and had to be replaced with one painted a slightly different colour? I don't think its really an issue though and personally I wouldn't go to the lengths of repainting it.

BTW, I never realised that the sides of the vehicle dropped down and always thought it a shame that all the internal detail would be hidden. Now I know different. So you've done Tamiya a favour as their sales of this vehicle will definitely rise by one in the not-to-distant future!

Reaguards,

Badder

Cheers guys, thank you for the.kind.comments. :D

the term "repainting" refers to the story, a vehicle originally painted in gray and then repainted by the crew in a new color. The tinge on the gun is different that.is correct. But this just happened during painting as I was trying a bit more of the rain, dust streaking kind of discoloration with the oil paints when compared to the front of the vehicle where more browns were applied. Overall it was great fun Sutton on a Sunday morning moving oil paints over the vehicle for several hours.

Recently I bought a dirt wash from AK, maybe I use that as a start for the dirt weathering. :)

Thanks again 😊

@Sairou

The inside effects were done buy using color chipping by painting on lighter shades of grey and to paint blackbrown inside these areas. So basic chipping approach. Then I worked the area with Vallejo wash for grey vehicles, I wanted to buy a grey wash, but I misread the label. Then I applied some brown oil paints here and there and did some streaking with that as well. The idea for the final finish is to have one guy standing on that let down side, so he is bringing dirt and damage to the paint. Yeah might be a bit over done with the almost new appearance of the other side panel. But it is as it is now.

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1