Will Airfix do a Sea Venom in 1/72????

Corvi

I was wondering if Airfix would do a 1/72 Sea Venom since they seem to be doing some FAA post war stuff??

They did the T.11 so perhaps they have it in the queue??

My 1/72 Airfix Hopefuls:

Supermarine Scimitar (seems to be on a lot of peoples' list)

DH Sea Venom

Buccaneer

DH Sea Vixen (pantograpgh down version of the 1/48 kit)

Fairey Firefly IV/V Korean wear era

Sea Fury (Accurate w/o costing crazy money-Aki)

Steve

• Like 3

SO agree.  but 1/72 is my preferred scale. It seems logical that may make some of these kits ..in light of the direction they are going.  I am looking forward to the FG.1

Just completed a 1/72 TA-4J

BD4pbGJ.jpg

Steve

Edited by Corvi
  • Like 2

Bravo 870!! Bravo!!:D

Perfect list, just don't mention 1/48 near it, ever!!:lalala:

Airfix has done the Vixen and now the Sea Fury (in 1/48:unamused:) and I've been lobbying for a Vixen and Scimitar from the in god's scale 1/72 for quite some time. I'd love an up to date 1/72 Venom too!!B)

• Like 3

What?

No Wasp?

No Whirlwind HAR10?

No Argosy or Britannia?

No... ?

I hope but doubt very much if we will see, any of the suggested lists

Still I didn't expect a nice Phantom in my lifetime from them either

As this thread concerns the de Havilland Sea Venom and has a pic of the Douglas TA-4 Skyhawk and thus has

both of the finest examples of the aeronautical arts ever to grace the great vault of blue covered.

Therefore I would respectfully request that you yobs in the cheap seats stop talking tripe about anything thing else

and pay a bit of omage where its due!

If not there'll be sternly worded notes going home in your school bags to your mums.

So there :P

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

I should think that right at the bottom of Airfix "to do" list is the DH sea Venom.!!  There are so many on the market at the moment its hard to believe that kit is still available!!  Frog built a very accurate Sea Venom back in the 60s..........admittedly its now long in the tooth, but check out the pages of Sea venoms to be found on Ebay.......Frog, Novo, Chematic, IOM, Eastern Express, Dragon, Czech Master, Cyber Hobby, Premier, Tasman and I am sure, many more..............I surely dont think Airfix would commit suicide by wasting resources on a really well flogged horse.................i have 8 in my stash............Frog were on a winner when they made that(although they didnt know it) molds have stood the test of time with very little flash being present on my models.

If I may disagreee.  Yes there are other Sea Venoms in 1/72 on the market but they require a large amount money to purchase CMR kit or they require quite a bit in aftermarkets to bring to a buildable standard...the multi-tooled Frog kit is nice in outline as are the many cloans of it but unfortunately the tooling is lacking and it has very little detail.  The decals could use some improving too. So the cost of the kit and aftermarkets would be surely more than a new tooled Airfix kit ...Also the new AIrfix kit would be in one box and appeal to novice builders since they wouldnt have to employ etched brass and resin.

This could apply to the Cyberhobby kit since it isnt cheap and requires corrections for the more advanced builder so there does seem to be a market for a new tooled Sea Venom ...especially if Airfix keeps the price near the Vampire T.11 kit that is excellent!

Just my thoughts.

Steve,

12 hours ago, rayprit said:

I should think that right at the bottom of Airfix "to do" list is the DH sea Venom.!!  There are so many on the market at the moment its hard to believe that kit is still available!!  Frog built a very accurate Sea Venom back in the 60s..........admittedly its now long in the tooth, but check out the pages of Sea venoms to be found on Ebay.......Frog, Novo, Chematic, IOM, Eastern Express, Dragon, Czech Master, Cyber Hobby, Premier, Tasman and I am sure, many more..............I surely dont think Airfix would commit suicide by wasting resources on a really well flogged horse.................i have 8 in my stash............Frog were on a winner when they made that(although they didnt know it) molds have stood the test of time with very little flash being present on my models.

There are two injection molded Sea Venom kits in 1/72: FROG and Dragon. The CMR kit is resin and expensive (though worth it). All the other kits you list are from the FROG mold. The Dragon kit has serious accuracy problems, the FROG kit lacks detail and is generally not up to modern standards. This is a perfect subject for Airfix, particularly because there is currently no 1/48 scale injection molded Venom of any type on the market and Airfix can do the kit in both scales.

• Like 2

Like anyone else, there are many, many other subjects they could tool: that is presuming they 'survive' under their new owners.

That said, I don't feel a Sea Venom would have the same world wide appeal as would a 1/72 Sea Fury.  The latter will surely come though not for a few years yet.

Whilst I would love a Sea Venom, maybe a Venom FB1 / FB4 would give more options ?  Obviously the two main RAF versions (different tails / rudders ?) but also several foreign air forces, with the modified nose of a Swiss aircraft being a particularly interesting subject.

• Like 2