1/350 Scale HMS Repulse to HMS Renown

Papa4ways

Hi Folks,

I wonder if I could possibly get some advice, I have the HMS Repulse on 1/350 scale, I do think it really is a great kit, however, I had Family who served on HMS Renown, which of course means, I it were possible, I would much prefer if I could get the Renown in 1/350, so, would it be possible to do any changes to this scale size of Repulse to turn her into Renown, I've been reading many of the discussions on here, and know there is many very good model builders on here, and I hope someone might just be able to help

I'm just finishing off the HMS King George V, and, the Wife, she doesn't think I know, but she's already got my Christmas hidden under the spare room bed, the 1/350 scale HMS Ark Royal, roll on Christmas, and a Cousin I'm very close to has sent me the 1/350 USS Enterprise, the older kit, so I've got some serious building ahead of me, but, if anyone could possibly help me with the conversion of Repulse and Renown, I'd appreciate it

Thanks

• Thanks 1

What about Profile Morskie plans? They do both ships. I see both are available as 1/350 downloads at7.90 Euros. 

https://blueprintsofwarships.com.pl/350.htm#bb

You could also look at their books, HMS Repulse is available in 1/700 Profile Morskie Volume 6,  and HMS Renown in 1/350 Profile Morskie 34. Hope this is of some help. I found their book on HMS Exeter to be very helpful.

Depending on when you want to model Renown, you may be easier scratchbuilding the ship. There really wouldn't much left of the Repulse kit if converted to a WW2 Renown, and the changes necessary would have the major plastic parts cut up such that it would be simpler and definitely stronger to simply scratchbuild. You can't even use the hull parts - Renown's prominent armour belt was in a noticeably different place to Repulse's.

About the only thing common between them by around 1940 was the main turrets, and Trumpeter's aren't great anyway.

There are scratchbuilding techniques that could be shared should you wish to explore that. It's entirely possible and I do not wish to sound negative at all. The Repulse kit is expensive though and IMHO it will hinder rather than help you.

13 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Depending on when you want to model Renown, you may be easier scratchbuilding the ship. There really wouldn't much left of the Repulse kit if converted to a WW2 Renown, and the changes necessary would have the major plastic parts cut up such that it would be simpler and definitely stronger to simply scratchbuild. You can't even use the hull parts - Renown's prominent armour belt was in a noticeably different place to Repulse's.

About the only thing common between them by around 1940 was the main turrets, and Trumpeter's aren't great anyway.

There are scratchbuilding techniques that could be shared should you wish to explore that. It's entirely possible and I do not wish to sound negative at all. The Repulse kit is expensive though and IMHO it will hinder rather than help you.

Jamie,

Thanks very much for the explanation, I really do appreciated it, however, as I'm not that great at building, I do try to do my best but my shaky hands don't help, and, I couldn't scratch build if my life depended on it, and, as I already have the kit, the Wife got me it, I think I'll just be building the Repulse as is, thanks for that, I did actually think it would have been a simple job, perhaps adding anti aircraft, replacing the triple turrets, things like that, but after what you've told me, as I say, I'll build the Repulse and be thankful for having the Ship

Repulse was a beautiful ship indeed.

The Renown was heavily reconstructed and looked vaguely similar to the KGV class during WW2. The whole bridge area was stripped back and rebuilt in the style of KGV or the reconstructed Queen Elizabeths. She retained her catapult and hangars, but her funnels were equal height unlike Repulse. As you noted Repulse's 4" triple mounts were deleted in favour of 10 twin high angle turrets on Renown.

The armour belt position was a deck different though resulting in one sister having a row of portholes below the main deck and the other not!

Repulse was supposed to be reconstructed to the same standard but history got in the way. Hood was too, as it happens.

• Like 1