Hello Folks from Papa4ways

Papa4ways

Hello folks, I thought to introduce myself, I'm a very keen model builder, basically, I build kits to give me something to do, I'm disabled with quite serious health issues, I only have half a lung after my left lung burst open and because of the damage, the surgeon couldn't save it, and so removed it, and, I've got emphysema on my right lung, meaning only half my lung works, and with the nerve damage, I can't work, so rather than sit at home all day moaning, I get on with life, and rather than watch telly all day, I build kits, I prefer the 1/350 scale Ships, although I've got a collection of 1/48 scale Aircraft in the loft, just want to say a big hello to everyone, and, from what I've seen, there's a lot of very good kit builders on here, I only hope my poor efforts come even close  

• Like 4

Happy to meet you here, Papa! I'm a 1/350 modeller too. Hope to see soon some of your works.

:wink:Up with the life, with so many models to do, and forget your troubles with us in the site.

Fair Winds (and forgive my mistake english),

Laerte

Hi again Folks, Thanks very much for the words of welcome, it's very much appreciated, I think I might need perhaps some advice as I go along, I've got a very good Wife, who is just now, keeping me well stocked with Kits for over the Winter, I tried to upload a photo of all the Kits she's got and allowed me to get, but I couldn't work it out how to get a photo I took of them all, uploaded onto here, so, I'll do it the old fashioned way, I've got 1/350 HMS Ark Royal, HMS Repulse, HMS Warspite, HMS Dreadnought, HMS Montrose and the HMS :Lord Nelson and USS Arizona, right now, I'm just putting the finishing touches to HMS King George V, and then I've just stared on the HMS Hood

I've already got HMS Illustrious and HMS Daring sitting on the shelf, and there's some boxes of Aircraft up in the loft I've already built. 

However, there's something special I want to share with you all, a Hero Uncle of mine who Passed Away a few years ago, he would have been so proud that Airfix have now produced the 1/48 Scale Boulton Paul Defiant, the Squadron Marking are the Squadron Markings that my Uncle flew with as the Turret Gunner

His name was Flight Sergeant Leslie Laird, flying firstly with Wellington Bombers, he was Tail End Charlie, that included his Aircraft being shot up and crashed twice, one was a crash landing back at Base, the other, the Aircraft crashed into the ground after being shot up, three Crew Members were killed in the attack, my Uncle couldn't bail as his turret was jammed, and the other Two Crew who were still alive bailed, except for the Pilot, who succeeded in saving my Uncle even in a crash landing, the Pilot was badly injured, but still went on to fly again, after a while, my Uncle was transferred to Defiant's

On one mission, he was flying with a French Pilot, the Aircraft had been shot up, my Uncle never actually shot any enemy Aircraft down on this mission, but they managed to see them off, however, the French Pilot wanted to bail out, however, my Uncle decided he didn't like the look of the sea below, and so, he told the French pilot his turret was jammed, and he couldn't turn it to bail, and so the French Pilot who was by this time, almost standing on the wing, climbed back in, flew the Aircraft back to their home base, where my Uncle spun his turret and jumped out, only to then have a wrestling match on the runway beside the Aircraft

My Uncle ended the War as a Gunner Instructor, but he and the French Pilot became very great friends, and remained friends until the French Pilot passed away, unfortunately, I don't know when that was, but I thought it was something worth relaying to you all

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Welcome on board - look forward to seeing some of your stuff built. Will there be a ‘previously from @Papa4ways‘ best of thread to catch us up on the planes and ships to-date?

My Papa4ways name comes from one occasion when I used my wheelchair, one of the Grand Daughters shouted out, "look, Papa can go 4 ways", and it's just a name I made up from that

• Like 1

:lol: love that name - kids are funny, aren't they? ^_^  :welcome: aboard chap - glad to see you're still keeping a keen interest in modelling, despite the health issues.  It's nice getting lost in a hobby to take your mind off things, isn't it?  Don't worry about "meeting" some perceived standard.  We're not into all that elitist nonsense here, so post your work with impunity ;)

4 hours ago, CurrantBunbury said:

That is quite a story. It's brilliant that you know all that about your uncle. 

Hi CurrantBunbury,

I have to say I was very fortunate to have known, who for me, was a great Man, I will always remember the time I went to his house, and presented him with a 1/72 scale Wellington Bomber, I made a wee plinth for it out of wood, even as a kid, I wasn't clever enough to make up a diorama, but when I gave him the model, he took me by the hand and gave me this huge handshake, but it's wasn't one of those crushing handshakes your Uncle used to do, it was a Man to Man basically handshake, he then gave me a huge cuddle, and told me he thought the World of me, and he would often tell me some of his wartime activities, I later found out, I was the only one he would ever tell of his wartime Duties, after he came out of the R.A.F, he went on to become a long distance Truck Driver for Joe Lyons as it was then, and when things modernised for his time, he was a night shift trunk driver until he retired, he lived out his years in Market Drayton before moving to Forres, up by Inverness, where he sadly passed away a few years ago

• Like 1

Hi Papa4ways and welcome. I enjoyed the story you relayed above, it is always good to hear such tellings to keep their spirits alive and I have no doubt you will do him proud with your Defiant build and the indomitable spirit you are showing yourself.

As for your builds I have no doubt that they will stand up alongside any other on here.:yes:

Hello again Folks

I would be obliged if someone could do me a wee favour, and tell me how I go about loading pictures to the site from my laptop, and then viewing pictures someone has added, but it's the ones instead of putting a picture on the site, they put a sort of ad in place of the photo, sorry to say, I'm not all that clever when it comes to Computers, but if you can tell me the SIMPLE way, I'd appreciate it

On 16/11/2017 at 12:00 PM, Papa4ways said:

Hello folks, I thought to introduce myself, I'm a very keen model builder, basically, I build kits to give me something to do, I'm disabled with quite serious health issues, I only have half a lung after my left lung burst open and because of the damage, the surgeon couldn't save it, and so removed it, and, I've got emphysema on my right lung, meaning only half my lung works, and with the nerve damage, I can't work, so rather than sit at home all day moaning, I get on with life, and rather than watch telly all day, I build kits, I prefer the 1/350 scale Ships, although I've got a collection of 1/48 scale Aircraft in the loft, just want to say a big hello to everyone, and, from what I've seen, there's a lot of very good kit builders on here, I only hope my poor efforts come even close  

Hello and welcome to the forum Papa. So sorry to hear about your health issues, but what a positive response- in that you get on with life in spite of what it has thrown at you. 🖒

I have built kits for nigh on 45 years now and I still look in awe at others which blow mine away. But I believe that all kits are 3 dimensional blank canvas - never think yours are poor efforts- it doesn't matter how it turns out as long as you enjoy the build- it's what pleasure you get out of it that matters.😊

1 hour ago, Radpoe Spitfire said:

Hello and welcome to the forum Papa. So sorry to hear about your health issues, but what a positive response- in that you get on with life in spite of what it has thrown at you. 🖒

I have built kits for nigh on 45 years now and I still look in awe at others which blow mine away. But I believe that all kits are 3 dimensional blank canvas - never think yours are poor efforts- it doesn't matter how it turns out as long as you enjoy the build- it's what pleasure you get out of it that matters.😊

Thanks for the kind words Radpoe, I'm not what you'd call any kind of expert builder, my hands are not that steady owing to the heavy medication I take I think, and although I really do enjoy building, and even though some of my kits don't turn out as good as I'd like them to be, I really appreciate your kind words

Thank you, it kind of gives me the confidence to post photos of my efforts, even though they are not as good as other kits/models I've seen on this website

Thank you again Radpoe

You must have one of the best names on here in general. After reading the 4 ways story, I would even call it the best. 

All the best to you but from the looks of your stash, your wife is keeping you busy :penguin:.

Take care and enjoy assembling  those floating blobs of steel.

/Stefan