J.A.S.D.F. F4 Phantoms

Latinbear

Blooming awesome photos & useful like anything too, I splashed out a while back for the Hasegawa JASDF F-4E & RF-4E double set in the 501 Hikotai markings, love that wood pecker head on the tail, keen to get a Fujimi kit for the blue scheme too, so these were right up my alley. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2017 at 12:02 PM, Gundylunch said:

Incidentally where did you pick up the Phantoms? 

Probably from the kit swap, someone had something like 200 in there over the weekend and sold a fair number (who was he ?? - anyone know ??) - I bought 5 of his !!

I noticed the HUGE number of F-4's for sale in the kit swap (how could you miss them?!). I remember seeing the owner bring in two more large bags of kits on the Saturday morning, but - unfortuntaely - have no idea who he is. 

I just shudder to think how much he must have spent on that little lot..... My mind is genuinely boggled!

Cheers.

Chris. 

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for the generous comments and compliments! They are very much appreciated and I'm glad you're enjoying them. I've got a few things on over the next several days but I'll look to post some more images once my time is freed up. 

11 hours ago, CurrantBunbury said:

:clap:Fantastic. Thanks a lot for sharing all those. Great to see such a mixture of colour schemes, and such a range of different photos too. 

Very nice of you to say so - thank you. As much as I love a grey Phantom or indeed any colour of Phantom, the different schemes used on the RF4s are a dream. Clearly the JASDF had enthusiasts in mind when they opted for the various paint jobs  :think:!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Super photos latinbear.

I was there just before the review and we got the full fly-past practice in sun, but hardly any base f-4s flying apart from those in the display itself. I am not sure which is the better option really but the main thing is that you enjoyed yourself and want to go back.

the phantoms are around until at least 2020, so not great rush although their numbers are dwindling. 

I also got to Gifu and saw more F-4s but we missed the digital camo one that has since appeared on the net. Yet another reason to go back!

andy

On 16 November 2017 at 5:53 PM, modelling minion said:

Yes they were from the kit swap.

As has already been said the one guy had over 100 for sale over both days, I went back in on the Sunday to see how many were left only to find that he had re-stocked! So I was able to get one I didn't get on the Saturday. Apparently this was still only a small portion of his Phantom stock, which includes over 30 Spey engined ones!

Thanks very much for the offer of help when I get around to building one, I may well take you up on that.

I think help is closer at hand young Minion, except that you are currently on an F-104 fetish at the moment

😉 Andy 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:45 PM, Red Dot said:

Super photos latinbear.

I was there just before the review and we got the full fly-past practice in sun, but hardly any base f-4s flying apart from those in the display itself. I am not sure which is the better option really but the main thing is that you enjoyed yourself and want to go back.

the phantoms are around until at least 2020, so not great rush although their numbers are dwindling. 

I also got to Gifu and saw more F-4s but we missed the digital camo one that has since appeared on the net. Yet another reason to go back!

andy

Cheers Andy, glad you enjoyed the photos. It's a tricky one. The flypast would have been great to see but equally I really wanted to see the Phantoms fly and fortunately that is what we got. It was noticeable that on the Tuesday (we were at Iruma on the Monday following the cancelled review day) there was a lot of flying which we wondered whether it was a catch-up from the presumed lack of activity on the Monday. The Wednesday and Thursday were quieter flying days. 

Thank for letting me know that the F4s are around for the next 2-3 years. That offers even more opportunities to go back!  Gifu is not somewhere I've been before but ought to go on the list. 

5 hours ago, Latinbear said:

Cheers Andy, glad you enjoyed the photos. It's a tricky one. The flypast would have been great to see but equally I really wanted to see the Phantoms fly and fortunately that is what we got. It was noticeable that on the Tuesday (we were at Iruma on the Monday following the cancelled review day) there was a lot of flying which we wondered whether it was a catch-up from the presumed lack of activity on the Monday. The Wednesday and Thursday were quieter flying days. 

Thank for letting me know that the F4s are around for the next 2-3 years. That offers even more opportunities to go back!  Gifu is not somewhere I've been before but ought to go on the list. 

Gifu can be very good as there are so many types on base, especially the test aircraft. The photography positions are excellent and the Kakamigahara museum is close by too

Andy

2 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Gifu can be very good as there are so many types on base, especially the test aircraft. The photography positions are excellent and the Kakamigahara museum is close by too

Andy

Sounds like it has to be done! The good news is that SWMBO wanted a cat to replace the one that died a couple of years ago and it was agreed that if I got to go to Japan then we would get one. As it happens, animal rescue charities only let kittens go in pairs so if one cat is one trip to Japan then two cats must mean...... 

• Haha 1

On 25/11/2017 at 7:57 PM, Latinbear said:

Sounds like it has to be done! The good news is that SWMBO wanted a cat to replace the one that died a couple of years ago and it was agreed that if I got to go to Japan then we would get one. As it happens, animal rescue charities only let kittens go in pairs so if one cat is one trip to Japan then two cats must mean...... 

best of luck with that one..........

If you do Gifu, then Komaki and Akeno are also worth a visit, plus the model shops in between of course :-)

19 hours ago, Red Dot said:

best of luck with that one..........

If you do Gifu, then Komaki and Akeno are also worth a visit, plus the model shops in between of course :-)

Slowly, slowly catchee monkey and all that. In fairness to my wife she is pretty good about these trips so it's just a question of appropriate timing.

Thanks for the suggestion of the other bases. It sounds like a two week trip is becoming more appropriate......

2 hours ago, Latinbear said:

Slowly, slowly catchee monkey and all that. In fairness to my wife she is pretty good about these trips so it's just a question of appropriate timing.

Thanks for the suggestion of the other bases. It sounds like a two week trip is becoming more appropriate......

Let me know by pm if you need any help or want suggestions of routes etc

Andy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Latinbear said:

Thanks Andy, I may well take you up on your kind offer. 

Any time, just let me know. Not just for bases but also the model/book shops too

Andy