1/72 Airfix P-51D - (finished. next:P-51D-5-NA Short-Fuse Sallee +Academy P51B)

Torbjorn

Thanks! 

Swede’s steed (Academy P-51B) standing on three legs. I was too eager and did not seal that big ugly gap at the wing root - will have to do some repairing. I wanted to close the clam doors, but they don’t fit very well so still pondering.

7EKNvY7.jpg

Did some shuffling about with the exhausts: the Tamiya and the Academy kits both supply shrouded and unshrouded exhausts alike, but the former are much nicer and I’ll use the unshrouded pair for the Academy.  

9um5vI1.jpg

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Decals on. Bar a broken antenna and some work to get the stickers flat, they are all finished for some postprocessing. E2-S won’t get much, even though the pristine looks on the photos of her might be due to cleanup and make-up before the famous photo shoot. Photos of the other two, as well as of other 354th machines show intensive use and will serve as practice for weathering, which I haven’t really tried before.

Before I forget, the underwing invasion stripe decals of E2-S went ok, but the fuselage ones were a pain, and all the touchups required makes it preferable to just paint it. Sallee’s airbrushed stripes look better anyway. A note to self, don’t be tempted by decals when you can paint...

HvMtTuP.jpg

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 1

Steed is almost finished. Gloss coat and stickers on. Added oil leaks and general dirt with oil colours black and raw umber. Proceeded to add some colour modulation/fade with white oil paint. Or so I thought: after putting dots of paint (photo below) and tried to smear it out with white spirit, the result was a mess: apparently I had managed to buy aquarel white paint. No wonder they were so cheap. 

m998CyR.jpg

I switched to water as thinner and it went fine, works as good as oil I’d say. :)

As seen on many photographs, the screws on several panels stand out as silvery as the tools have scraped off the paint (or perhaps the parts were painted before assembly at the factory, and the nuts weren’t?). Aluminium paint on a sharpened toothpick was used to imitate that. After that a matt coat (everything sprayed is Vallejo by the way). Current status below: on the todo-list are exhaust stains and antenna+aerial and I will call it finished. Thoughts/objections?

yFzamHc.jpg

WDIKCii.jpg

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...