Colours for F-35 Lightning II

toms_scale_models

Hi everyone!

I'd like to ask those who have built an F-35 of some sort to tell me the paints or combinations they used to achieve the correct colour for their F-35. I'm starting Academy's 1/72nd F-35A in the near future after a couple other kits have been completed but I'd like to know in advance what paints to buy.

Many Thanks, Tom! :)

Edit: wasn't meant to post this here, still new to this...

Edited by toms_scale_models
Posted in wrong category

Hi tom!

Maybe you can have a look into the ModellFan 12/2017, there is my feature about that.

The original color is the new (neutral) Camouflage Gray FS 36170 (Have Glass Gen 5), recently confirmed. I used 30% Revell 07 black, 30% Revell 04 white, 30% Revell 43 gray and 10% Humbrol 191 chrome

Cheers Thomas

Maybe this is the wrong thread and should be moved (I am quite new too)

f35a-005

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

FS36170 is correct, I believe it is available in the Hataka paint range.

Though I new scheme is now being applied to the new build F-35s which apparently saves $30-40,000 per airframe

This is the Next RAAF F-35 off the line in the 'new' scheme which looks a lot lighter than FS36170

23231268_1610841388966597_22480501066510

Oh, and this thread should most likely be in this forum:

Aircraft Modelling\Military Modelling Discussion by Era\Modern

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Colourcoates also has a FS36170 in their range. I used this on my model (Hasegawa 1/72), but thought it was too light. I ended up using the paint out of the box for the RAM lines/panels, and mixed it 50/50 with black for the overall coating. This looks quite right in my eyes.

Nils

F-35_36_800.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Vingtor said:

Colourcoates also has a FS36170 in their range. I used this on my model (Hasegawa 1/72), but thought it was too light. I ended up using the paint out of the box for the RAM lines/panels, and mixed it 50/50 with black for the overall coating. This looks quite right in my eyes.

Nils

F-35_36_800.jpg

Thierin

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Slater said:

According to MIL-STD-2161C, external colors are 36170 and 36375.

Exactly,

there is no third color there and FS 36375 light compass ghost is only for lettering and insignia. The taped areas are under FS 36170. Appendix C. Fig. C-21 F-35B Marines. PDF is downloadable.

Nils colors are very exact to me! Wow!:)

Cheers!

Edited by replicant
nils
  • Thanks 1

On 19/11/2017 at 19:54, Areos said:

I think that Mr Paint has these colours in its range

Speaking of which I did find those the other day! Well, I used a substitute of a similar shade for the primary colour. But it's all good now! Thanks everyone once again!