Hello!

Colonel Wreck

Hi Everyone!

My name is Ian. I am new to the forum and just very recently got back into modelling as a way to relax and take my mind of things since my recent divorce.

I used to make models as a kid, the last one I made was some 25 years ago! Back then it was more a case of getting the model completed and in the case of aircraft, hanging it from my bedroom ceiling. Not really enjoying the process of the build and fine detail.

Now, however, it is ALL about the process of the build, fine detail and accuracy (or at least it will be when I have got my modelling skills up to scratch!)

I started a couple of months ago by purchasing a Spitfire Mk Vb 1/24 by Airfix.... It didnt take long into the build when I realised that due to the age of the kit and my somewhat novice skills', I was out of my depth! So, complete with new airbrush I purchased Airfix's 1/72 Dogfight Doubles pack of the Sea Harrier FRS.1 and A-4P Skyhawk to "practice" on and increase my skills. To be fair, although not in the league of the models I have seen posted here, there is actually a very clear improvement in my finish between the two aircraft.

Well and truly bitten by the bug, I purchased two more kits, again both Airfix of the Avro Vulcan B2 XH558 and the E.E Canberra B(i)6/B.20 (1/48). Both aircraft are dear to me as my Father worked as an armorer on both during his time in the RAF in the sixties. In fact, he has a pic of XH558 which he took whilst it was still in service at Waddington. Also the Canberra has decals for RAF Bruggen where he was also stationed. It is this version I will be making but have yet to start.

So.. onto XH558......  I made a model of a Vulcan as a kid, it was probably exactly the same kit just with different decals! I have to admit to taking the easier option here and building it gear up for two reasons... a) I was already well into the build before realising that I could get aftermarket parts and photoetched details for the bomb bay, landing gear, cockpit etc.... and as it is the "Vulcan to the Sky" edition I wanted to display it "In the sky"! I will however be buying another Vulcan in the not too distant future along with different decals, aftermarket bomb bay, P.E parts etc... so I can create a detailed version as if in active service. (inspired by General Melchitt's post of his B.1) XH558 is currently on the bench awaiting it's first coat of grey.

Whilst looking online for P.E parts for the Canberra I saw a post for Revell's 1/48 Tornado F.3 ADV. WOW!! So yesterday I purchased one along with Revell's 1/48 F-15E. Looking forward to building those, just which to choose first!

Any hints, tips or tricks for the Canberra B(i)6, Tornado F.3 or the F-15E would be greatly appreciated! I'll post the progression of all of those kits as/when I start them. Thinking that the F.3 will be my next build.

So, that is me and my builds at the moment. Love this forum and I am looking forward to becoming an active part of this community.

All the best and happy modelling!

Ian

I almost forgot! I also have 1/350 Tirpitz by Tamiya in my stash although it will be a while before I start this as I want to get my skills razor sharp and source all the P.E and aftermarket parts. 

Edited by Colonel Wreck
Almost forgot!
  • Like 1

Hello Ian.

I can feel your enthusiasm in your intro. I bet you will soon have a very large stash. It's a wonderful hobby and I am so happy that I took it up again. Look forward to seeing your Vulcan.

All the best, Martin

:welcome: I, too, look forward to seeing the Vulcan. It can be a challenging kit, that one, but it rewards the effort. Good idea to start on some simpler things and build up to your giant Spitfire - my Dad, another experienced modeller who's had a good few gaps in the hobby over the years, is doing the same with the 1/24 Mosquito.

Hi, Ian.  Like you, I've been out of the kit-building for a lot of years (but I wasn't very good at it in the first place) and just got back into it with a Lanc, A Tornado and a P51 (so far).  I'm told the Vulcan is a bit of a bear to fit together, though... Seems the tooling wasn't that good in the first place and now wear and tear has made it worse.  I'm planning on a Vulcan and Canberra myself as part of a 617 Squadron set I'm trying to compile (617 has caught my imagination ever since the first time I saw Richard Todd as Gibson in "The Dambusters" 50-odd years ago when I was just a kid).  The P51 was intended to be in Cheshire's livery but it was a cheap kit (99p on Ebay... You get what you pay for) so I just used it as a practice plane for exterior paintwork and stuck on the decals provided.  When I see the builds some of the old hands put up in the galleries I don't know whether to be inspired to practice or to just chuck my kits out of the window and take up stamp-collecting!  I'm happy if my planes can pass the "2 meter test" and I'll be unlikely to share any pictures unless I can figure out the camera and lighting tricks they used in Star Trek to make Shatner look handsome.

• Haha 1

Sounds like you’ve gotten back into the hobby in a big way. Stick an ‘in progress’ and ‘inspection’ thread up regardless of how self critical you are of what you’re doing. Even papting to have a whinge about what went wrong is cathartic and often someone will offer up a suggestion or even a part/decal that’ll get you out of a mess. 

There’s space for everyone to share and appreciate each others efforts (& that goes for @Uncle Pete as well)

• Thanks 1