Royal Navy Colours - glossy, satin or flat

John R

If I recall correctly the one in the East Fortune museum is pretty glossy but not a high gloss.  I'd go for a half way house between gloss and satin.  I am not sure how representative the museum machine is.  It may have been repainted for preservation purposes.  Looking at it at times I thought  "its satin".  Then a light hits is and its glossy!  I wondered if it had been a higher gloss and then just worn a bit dull in service? How you get to that effect in painting I am not sure!  Mix the varnish coats maybe?  I'd try a test piece though first

PS  just looked at the Google photos of her and she is definitely gloss cum satinish sort of..............  Have a look and you will find some times a wing looks glossy and in the next on the fuselage looks satin.  Thats what I recalled seeing.  I suspect I'd go for a satin finish myself if looking at an in service machine to allow for weathering

Edited by JohnT
additional unhelpful info!

Gloss; BS5381C-638, Dark Sea Grey Gloss. That's from the I/C of the spray bay at EGDR when I enquired. They carried out the last spraying of the gate guardian there. It's what I painted my recent CA Seahawk in. My current Trumpy one is primed ready for an application of said colour.

EDIT; I did knock the gloss back a bit with a slightly satin varnish finish for a scale effect.

Edited by Darby
Addendum

They were painted in gloss paint, but didn't take long for the paint to flatten off to a satin and then patchy matt effect, especially the carrier based aircraft.

I find a couple of top coats of Klear gives a good representation of a freshly painted jet.

• 2 weeks later...

RAF aircraft were gloss until 1974 ish  then changed to satin. RN aircraft stayed glossy up to and including the Harrier. 

It is worth adding a little bit of flat to avoid an unrealistic gloss for scale effect though. 

Colin 

• Like 1

I'm using Xtracrylix which looks to have about the right level of 'glossiness' but I may have to flatten it a bit. However WV908 (RNHF a/c) always looks pristine.

John

Gotta agree with darby....gloss but use a dab of satin for scale effect.

Certainly when RNHF was navy the seahawk was glossy...."lovingly" polished with wadpol by AEMs.......QM Seahawk me its in my peach tradesmans book of experience......which I never used when I left the Roger Nigel.....they told us alsorts of BS 

To my eye 1960s-1970s British aircraft finishes were like contemporaneous car paint finishes - primer then gloss but the "gloss" was more akin to kitchen appliance shine, not modern "diamond glossy". 

Tony

• 4 weeks later...