Soyuz launch vehicle

MarkSH

Hi All,

Just a quick question and apologies if this has been asked before.

Are there any options for building a Soyuz launch vehicle in 1/144th.

I'm hoping to have one to display alongside a Saturn V in the same scale.

I've seen examples of 1/72 kits (Mach2) but they're too big and overpriced from what I've heard.

the only thing I've seen in 1/144 is for early Vostok vehicles.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

MSH.

The Airfix "Vostok" kit (1/144) has always contained a Soyuz option. It's very old now (1970) and has some serious accuracy issues (the strap on boosters aren't "flared" enough, for example). However, it's still worth building, especially if you just want it really as a "comparison" device to show how big the Saturn V was.

EV2iTUr1.jpg

I bought a more modern kit (Russian - I think) of the Soyuz type booster at SMW a couple of years ago. I can't recall who the manufacturer was but I think it is more accurate than the Airfix offering.

This is it - MSD.

See the source image

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Thanks 2

New Ware do whole range of Soyuz launch vehicles.

http://mek.kosmo.cz/newware/index.htm#nw113

Cutting Edge in thier lift off series did a whole raft of Vostok/Soyuz launch vehicles, which are regarded as the best in 1/144, long out of production I'm afraid. I'm glad I bagged the set when they were around.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2003/august/first-looks/celo_r-7kits.htm

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/liftoffpreviewbg_1.htm

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/ce/build_celo_ss-6.shtml

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

On 15/11/2017 at 13:29, Eric Mc said:

I bought a more modern kit (Russian - I think) of the Soyuz type booster at SMW a couple of years ago. I can't recall who the manufacturer was but I think it is more accurate than the Airfix offering.

This is it - MSD.

See the source image

This is the old Apex kit with an added sprue, its certianly not issue free - but, a slight advancement on venerable Airfix kit.

Thomo.

2 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

I had a feeling it wasn't "brand new". The boxing I bought claimed to depict the launcher as used for Helen Sharman's flight in 1992. Unfortunately, it contained no decals.

You dodged a bullet  being sans decals, they were brittle and shattered on contact with water.

This kit has been around the block block: Apex> Maquette> MSD and a few inbetween.

I believe its generally underscale and has some shape issues too.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

Thanks for all the comments;

Interesting, you would expect it to be a more visited subject given its longevity and current status as almost the only viable launch vehicle.

How much re-work is generally required to accurately depict the vehicle using the MSD kit?

It is certainly not the only viable launch vehicle. It happens to be the one being used for manned launches to the space station at the moment but the Chinese use their own launcher for manned missions and pretty soon Atlas and Falcon will start carrying manned spacecraft.

I'd say go for "NewWare", probably add LVM Photo etched parts. You may end-up with this beauty (as seen in Telford a year ago):

Scale+ModelWorld+2015+01.JPG Scale+ModelWorld+2015+02.JPG 

Scale+ModelWorld+2015+03.JPG 

I have built a Cutting Edge a few years back, I would not search for it as it is not only hard to find but also inferior to NewWare 

• Like 1

The New Ware kit is obviously a lot more accurate, but I can't justify that kind of dosh on one kit, I think the MSD offering is the best option for me at the moment.

7 hours ago, MarkSH said:

The New Ware kit is obviously a lot more accurate, but I can't justify that kind of dosh on one kit, I think the MSD offering is the best option for me at the moment.

If you are bothered by the accuracy then may I suggest a 'fudge'?

Why not have it horizontal on it's rail wagon? I'm sure someone somewhere can advise on N Gauge rolling stock. The different perspective will minimise the errors due to viewing angle.

Just a thought.

I missed Telford last year but my mate took several pictures of that Soyuz and had us guessing the scale. I was certain it was 72nd. Awesome model and well deserved winner.