John Landers P-40E 'Texas Longhorn' questions

dfqweofekwpeweiop4

Hi folks! I'm looking to make a model of Lander's P-40E, 'Texas Longhorn' and would like some info. The first question is, was the Texas Longhorn artwork on both sides of the engine cowling or just on the Port side? Second question, is what colours was it painted? I've seen it suggested it was Dark Earth and Dark Green or Sand and Dark Earth and that the underside may have been Blue (either Sky Blue or Azure Blue), so I'm not quite sure. I'm guessing whichever they were it would have been the Curtiss/Dupont colours and not RAF colours.

thanks

Mike

I've seen a pic with the artwork on the Starboard side and another pic of it on the portside, so that's that sorted, still not sure on the colours though

Edited by Mikemx

4 hours ago, Mikemx said:

Hi folks! I'm looking to make a model of Lander's P-40E, 'Texas Longhorn' and would like some info. The first question is, was the Texas Longhorn artwork on both sides of the engine cowling or just on the Port side? Second question, is what colours was it painted? I've seen it suggested it was Dark Earth and Dark Green or Sand and Dark Earth and that the underside may have been Blue (either Sky Blue or Azure Blue), so I'm not quite sure. I'm guessing whichever they were it would have been the Curtiss/Dupont colours and not RAF colours.

thanks

Mike

I've seen a pic with the artwork on the Starboard side and another pic of it on the portside, so that's that sorted, still not sure on the colours though

Hi Mike,

FWIW

Lander's Texas Longhorn (18764) USAAF Serial 41-36243 - RAF Serial ET889, would have been painted in US manufactured Paints

(most likely DuPont) in RAF TLS scheme.

Before anyone tells me it wasn't so, I show you a P40E-1 taken over by 15 Squadron RNZAF. This P40E-1 was previously   assigned to the

USAAF 68th FG/PG based in Tonga 1942. Though B&W photo the RAF TLS shows in the photo.

Note aircraft wore RAF TLS while with both Air Forces.

RNZAF 15 Squadron, either Guadalcanal or Espiritu Santos  - NZ3105  - USAAF Serial 41-25136 - RAF Serial ET784

c29eaa7c-37db-4862-a632-21135b25c6ee.jpg

(RNZAF Official, Used for Illustration only)

Note Lander's P40E-1 RAF Serial is not that far from some of the P40E-1's received by the RNZAF so would be I would say, same colours

Dark Earth/Dark Green/Duck Egg Blue (Sky)

Colours from RNZAF P40E-1 NZ3031 (RAF serial ET770 - USAAF Serial 41-36124)

RNZAF P40E-1 Colours

can't give you any info on artwork

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 2