This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Beardie

Anyone recognise this aircraft description? or know what it was

Hi all,

Just had my old mother on the phone asking me if I could identify an aircraft she saw landing at Prestwick on Sunday afternoon. Afraid the description doesn't bring anything to mind for me. I trust it was something out of the ordinary as she was in air traffic control with the RAF and said she has never seen an aircraft like this before. Either that or she has finally flipped.

She describes a largeish aircraft with high mono wing with yellow paint 'splash' on the nose and single engine/propellor.

Courtesy of www.egpk.com,here's what was there .  Note these were the visiting aircraft   Don't know what based stuff was about.                                                                                                                                              Sunday 12 November 2017
08-8601 C130J USAF HERKY776 dep 0955
87-0118 KC10 USAF RCH471 dep 1327
79-1949 KC10 USAF RCH197 dep 1443
G-OZBG A321 MON
C-GSUI RJ100 NCB
G-BMYG CE152
G-BVVK DHC6 LOG training
F-GDHD BN2P
15004 CC150 RCAF
ZH887 C130J RAF
ZH883 C130J RAF

I wasn't doing  anything  so I went on Flightradar24 and put Prestwick on playback from 12.00 to darkness 16.00 ish.. All I saw go in was a Flybe Twin Otter, an RV-8  ,Single low wing and Cherokee on circuits. That was all that showed up in the afternoon on the screen. I don't have any extras just the bog standard service...POSB git me !

Thanks for the information guys. None of those match the description but, to be honest, I am not surprised by that as her descriptions of things can be somewhat fanciful or downright odd. I am guessing that she either saw the Twin Otter or the Islander as they both have the high wing and fixed undercart she described although, obviously, neither of those particular aircraft have any yellow on them and are not single engined. The size would fit with what she said though.

Either that or she saw a ghost of something very peculiar. Odd though that she wouldn't recognise a twin otter or islander as, where she lives is on the flight path the islanders used to fly every day.

As good as my sister

Navy ship in harbour 

which one ?

I don't know it was grey though 

Oh my mother is a legend for this kind of thing. Conversations would quite often be along such lines as this:

Mother: "I saw the most amazing looking motorbike the other day, any idea what it was?"

Me: " What did it look like?"

Mother: " It was silver and strange looking"

Me: "Did it have a badge or name on it?"

Mother: "Don't know I never looked, so, do you know what it might have been?"

Me: :wall::wall::wall:

14 hours ago, hairystick said:

You don't see many of them around any more...;)

They all got scrapped after page 40 :(

My mum and dad have just passed their 64th anniversary. Dad has been around or watched aircraft since 1930 something. My mum has heard it all and listens on another frequency which is just above her head so she can carry on with her day and function in  Kitchen Bay Servicing . If she said something about a plane............... we'd take her to the doctors  :lol:

Marty,it probably was the Islander

29384_1237058523.jpg

Thanks for that image Richard. When I looked up pictures of it last night the ones I found of F-GDHD were in plain white and blue Aero-Sotravia scheme. At least it does show some yellow in that picture :D Believe it or not she thought it might have been some first world war or inter-war period aircraft :drunk: Sometimes I really worry about her but I suppose, in her defence, it went over her head going in to land while she was a passenger in a car travelling around the East side of the airport which means she probably only got a pretty brief look from almost directly underneath.

You never know. Maybe one of the suspects was recently repainted with yellow.

We may tend to underestimate them but Mothers can be wise. 

Once my Mother commented that she'd seen a light plane pass nearby in bad weather. Of course having a pilot for a son she was more attuned than most. She thought it foolish, much as she saw my foolhardy attempt at a pilot career which didn't fit with her ambitions for me.

She was right because I told her that he later ploughed into a hill in cloud killing himself and regrettably a married couple with children.

So I'm inclined to think if she saw a high wing aircraft with yellow then it was there. Don't mess with Mothers.

Oh in most things I would trust my mothers' wisdom and judgement, but she is legendary for dscriptions that bear little resemblance to the actual item in question.

On 14/11/2017 at 9:42 PM, Scimitar said:

Courtesy of www.egpk.com,here's what was there .  Note these were the visiting aircraft   Don't know what based stuff was about.                                                                                                                                              Sunday 12 November 2017
08-8601 C130J USAF HERKY776 dep 0955
87-0118 KC10 USAF RCH471 dep 1327
79-1949 KC10 USAF RCH197 dep 1443
G-OZBG A321 MON
C-GSUI RJ100 NCB
G-BMYG CE152
G-BVVK DHC6 LOG training
F-GDHD BN2P
15004 CC150 RCAF
ZH887 C130J RAF
ZH883 C130J RAF

Well the only high winged single prop in that list is the Cessna 152.... wouldn't have called it large unless it was fairly close to the observer  :)

I spoke to her on the phone last night and she agreed that it might well have been the islander. She said it was way too big for a Cessna.

Anyone know what the North Cariboo 146/RJ-100 was doing there? I saw it coming in from the Atlantic on Flightradar24 hoping it would come in to Edinburgh but no such luck!

Paul Harrison

Could be a C208 maybe? Fits the description.

They do tend to get weird paint jobs too.

Not all aircraft will be picked up by FR24.

Rick.

Could be a C208 I suppose. Would need to find out all the traffic through Prestwick that particular day to discover the truth I guess.

As to the North Cariboo @GreenDragon was that maybe going in for maintenance or repairs at BAE systems. Looking at the NorthCariboo website they do charters though, particularly for golf. so maybe some well-to-do folks were going to Royal Troon or Turnberry although the weather isn't exactly golfer friendly at the moment.

3 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

Could be a C208 maybe?

Certainly fits description but there wasn't one at Pik that day though.

I checked the Prestwick spotters group and it agrees with EGPK list. Unlikely that anything visited and was missed by the locals.

Marty the Islander landed around 1420 if that helps.

Unfortunately that deepens the mystery Richard. It was around half one according to me old ma'. Maybe it was the Twin Otter. Do you know what time that landed?

Twin Otter was Loganair's out of Glasgow doing training. No time logged. It is blue and white though if still in Flybe colours and red tartan if in new Loganair.

Local based flying club/private aircraft are not logged on EGPK or PAMG.

I'll see what I can find about them.

11 hours ago, Beardie said:

Do you know what time that landed?

13:10- 13:19   I can't see the last digit !

Edited by bzn20

I'm watching Prestwick now and see if that flight is repeated 1 week later