Biplane Wing Assembly jig

tomdocherty72

The SRAM biplane assembly jig seems to be discontinued. If you go to the Modelimex mail order website, there are photos of this jig including one with a complete parts layout. Easy to fabricate your own. No need to cut slots. Simply glue together two strips of hardwood 5mm thick and end pieces of equal thickness sheet wood or make from plexiglass (acrylic). Additional drilled pieces for wing clamps. Add some nuts and bolts, base, and you are done.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just ordered a Vertigo Miniatures one. It's made of clear acrylic and came highly recommended from a former user of a wooden one. I'll let you know what it is like when it arrives in a few days.

Duncan B

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having both the wooden and acrylic I see no real difference other than the material used. 

The plexi one is nice because I like plexi.

They are tools to me so aesthetics takes a back seat to functionality.

The plexi one did need the slots cleared, the sharp edge left from the laser burning caused some binding , no biggie.

I liked the small wooden one for 1/72 scale , and |I have the largest plexi one for 1/32.

Some jig tips;

Drill the bottom if needed to allow the mounting of some bolts and washers, then use 3-4 fender washers on each bolt. This adds some needed weight , lowering the cog ,  to the bottom of the jig , you can see them here :

IMG_4287.jpg

Things a little out of line!? Set up a  'pull' with an elastic:

IMG_4298.jpg

For rigging , storage , model bench safety the jigs are all very handy. As a custom fabricator I have used jigs constantly for 30 years. You can strap in the model and then handle the jig , not touching the model . For rigging the jig can be turned and set at a number of angles , for measauring line length and with a forcep used to help with the line mounting:

IMG_4739.jpg

For my Biff I set the jig mounts off of a drawing and was able to assemble the wings and have them held nicely and then with a 'can opener' (the manual type) movement the fuse was inserted into the wings! So easier:

IMG_4238.jpg

I had to leave Des' forum after an argument with someone on a thread exactly like this. After I put up a post similar to this one , he came on and beaked off about how jigs aren't needed and he never uses one , blah , blah , blah , but not offering any helpful advice.

If you can use a jig , that's good. If you don't wanna use a jig that's fine by me too , but the info here is offered to help those who may struggle with assy of their models.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 15/11/2017 at 00:09, berman said:

If you go to the Modelimex mail order website, there are photos of this jig including one with a complete parts layout. Easy to fabricate your own. No need to cut slots. Simply glue together two strips of hardwood 5mm thick and end pieces of equal thickness sheet wood or make from plexiglass (acrylic). Additional drilled pieces for wing clamps. Add some nuts and bolts, base, and you are done.

here

https://www.modelimex.com/sram-s-biplane-assembly-jig

• Thanks 1

I am still waiting on my one to arrive from Vertigo Miniatures :(  I have e mailed them several times and have been told it has been dispatched but was given no tracking info (in fact no info at all). Sadly I'm not impressed with the service at all. I'll give it another few days and then it's back to Vertigo one last time before I put in a claim against them with PayPal. I hate having to do that but there is no way a parcel takes 3 weeks from Europe to the UK, I send enough the other way to know after all.

Customer Service is the prime directive in online sales, you can have a great product but if you can't instil confidence in your customers you're dead in the water.

Sorry for the thread jack/rant but I'm just a little disappointed, can you tell?

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vertigo has gotten itself a bad rep regarding delivery times and supply of their jig. This is at least the third time I've seen this very complaint. There is a thread on WW1 aircraft that is almost exactly the same as this one!

My order went the same way but the jigs did eventually arrive.

Edited by krow113
  • Sad 1

I picked up my SRAM jig a year ago or so.  It's pretty good but if you get one, invest in some wing nuts from the local DIY so you don't need pliers and a spanner to adjust it.  It's kind of a pain in the *(*(&^$$...

I use it mostly for rigging.

Well my Vertigo Jig has arrived finally, I still feel bad for ranting at them but it's here now (It was posted out as a large letter so that might explain why it took so long as it is way larger than a large letter).

I haven't had the chance to build it up yet but the parts look very nicely made and the single sheet instructions look clear to follow (we are modellers after all).

I'll post photos of the parts when I get a moment.

Duncan B

• 3 months later...
On 12/18/2017 at 9:16 PM, krow113 said:

Having both the wooden and acrylic I see no real difference other than the material used. 

The plexi one is nice because I like plexi.

They are tools to me so aesthetics takes a back seat to functionality.

The plexi one did need the slots cleared, the sharp edge left from the laser burning caused some binding , no biggie.

I liked the small wooden one for 1/72 scale , and |I have the largest plexi one for 1/32.

Some jig tips;

Drill the bottom if needed to allow the mounting of some bolts and washers, then use 3-4 fender washers on each bolt. This adds some needed weight , lowering the cog ,  to the bottom of the jig , you can see them here :

IMG_4287.jpg

Things a little out of line!? Set up a  'pull' with an elastic:

IMG_4298.jpg

For rigging , storage , model bench safety the jigs are all very handy. As a custom fabricator I have used jigs constantly for 30 years. You can strap in the model and then handle the jig , not touching the model . For rigging the jig can be turned and set at a number of angles , for measauring line length and with a forcep used to help with the line mounting:

IMG_4739.jpg

For my Biff I set the jig mounts off of a drawing and was able to assemble the wings and have them held nicely and then with a 'can opener' (the manual type) movement the fuse was inserted into the wings! So easier:

IMG_4238.jpg

I had to leave Des' forum after an argument with someone on a thread exactly like this. After I put up a post similar to this one , he came on and beaked off about how jigs aren't needed and he never uses one , blah , blah , blah , but not offering any helpful advice.

If you can use a jig , that's good. If you don't wanna use a jig that's fine by me too , but the info here is offered to help those who may struggle with assy of their models.