This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Hi

I see the Tank museum have decided to start charging clubs for the tables @ £ 5.00 plus vat for the  show along with  £10.00 plus vat for extra passes above 5 free 

Think the IPMS should do the same think of the money they would make at Telford !!!

I see some clubs and Sigs are  not happy at this charge for tables 

Killed before its got off the ground ???

4 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Hi

I see the Tank museum have decided to start charging clubs for the tables @ £ 5.00 plus vat for the  show along with  £10.00 plus vat for extra passes above 5 free 

Think the IPMS should do the same think of the money they would make at Telford !!!

I see some clubs and Sigs are  not happy at this charge for tables 

Killed before its got off the ground ???

Have I got that right, £5 (£6 inc vat) entry for a table including 5 free passes? If so how un-pc of Bovington.

The table price is 5.00 plus Vat 

Each  CLUB will get 5 free passes for the weekend then 10.00 plus vat for each extra one no matter how many tables 

But its not clear if the passes are for the weekend or day dependent 

The paperwork ask you to order Breakfast at 5.00 as well (if you want one )

All Payable in advance if you dont get a  slot you will be refunded after the show 

Are they taking the mick ? Increasing the show to two days and now charging for the privilege to turning up, what are they thinking of. I know we discussed the show last night and felt that if we couldn't split the weekend with another club we wouldn't be able to attend. I have seen that a lot of clubs are appearing to limit the amount of free passes to their shows. What will they come up with next, charging a set price for each model displayed?

So five people can collectively get entry into the museum for £1? Anyone want else want to buy a table, mug it off and make a day of it? 

I see this show going the way of Yeovilton where constant changes of management means they completely lose sight of the original success of the show and in the process mess the whole thing up. When they first ran the show in October 3 years ago, I spoke to the guy organising it and he said they'd had about 3 times the footfall compared to previous years. Then they expanded it to February as well and that too was successful. Now the accountants get involved and as usual they don't actually understand the process so decide to squeeze as much revenue out of the event as possible, so start charging the clubs to attend - forgetting that its the CLUBS that make the show!

Secondly, apart from Telford, who in their right mind wants to spend their entire weekend at a show that is miles from any sort of reasonable accommodation (I'm too old to be camping in February!) plus we have jobs during the week so need some time for ourselves!

This is sadly a ridiculous idea and I will no longer be attending, even though I have really enjoyed previous shows.

Five quid for five people is hardly a rip-off.  You could waste that in petrol by not driving there economically! 

Pre orders for breakfast would assist the caterers who seemed caught out in Feb17.  A fiver for a full English sounds a good deal.  I'm sure it's more on the day.

Do the Tank Museum have any club liaison?  As opposed to just reading tight-wadded foamers on fora?

I see the issue with two days though.  Our club is near enough and large enough to consider two teams, one for each day.  Though there'll be arguments as to who makes the First XI and who the B-Team!  I know my place...

Cheers

Will

It's not just the costs, it's all the other regulations and requests for information they have brought in.  My club was to have three 6ft tables, which we can fill with ease, but it wasn't made clear whether we had to pay for the tables for each day or the 5 free passes are for both days, and what if we had different teams for each day, were they transferable? They also wanted car registrations for both February and October.  We don't know what's happening next week, so how do we know who is going to the shows next year. :)

'tight-wadders'? There is a word I wish to use here that would get me banned from the forum, so I'll refrain as unlike other posters in this thread, I don't wish to be offensive to my fellow hobbyists.

Let me put this in plain terms - its not about the amount of money, its the principle that the exhibitors should PAY the museum for the privilege of giving up our entire weekend, pay the petrol to go there, pay for accommodation to attend for 2 days to support the show and the museum. Not happening.

Edited by Kallisti

If we pay for three tables its 15.00

All five passes in use that were free 

Extra   passes say 3 guys tag on 30.00

Sunday if not transferable other 3  attend that's 30.00 

So your weekend show has cost  75.00 ex vat 

Plus petrol hotel meals 

Your club get nothing back , 

Traders will hopefully make a profit 

Museum shop and cafe will make money

The museum will make money from traders ,visitors 

But the main reason people will go to a model show is to see the displays and traders 

I know that  the museum has had emails from other clubs warning that they will not attend under these circumstances 

Two tables free and extra paid for  worked quite well before 

If you decide to pay it then fine but a lot of clubs are not happy and will vote with there  feet 

How long before other shows decide to start charging ?

I think they have got things the wrong way round, if we as modeller wanted to use their venue to hold a display then costs would be incurred and rightly they should be recompensed but it is the other way round they are holding the show and inviting us to attend and so shouldn't be charged. We do make a contribution in time and fuel costs. Imagine if we invoiced them  for services rendered.

At minimum wage at £7.50 would be £45 per day per person (not including set up & break down time )

5 people per club attending for the weekend £450

Fuel costs at 20 pence per mile say 200 miles round trip £40 per car

Ball park figure of £490 that's assuming everything fits in one car.

Who gets the better deal by not charging ?

Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

It's not that we are short of model shows these days.

17 hours ago, Beefy said:

Are they taking the mick ? Increasing the show to two days and now charging for the privilege to turning up, what are they thinking of. I know we discussed the show last night and felt that if we couldn't split the weekend with another club we wouldn't be able to attend. I have seen that a lot of clubs are appearing to limit the amount of free passes to their shows. What will they come up with next, charging a set price for each model displayed?

We discussed splitting the weekend with one of your guys last night at our club but  don,t think it will come off 

10 hours ago, Kallisti said:

I see this show going the way of Yeovilton where constant changes of management means they completely lose sight of the original success of the show and in the process mess the whole thing up. When they first ran the show in October 3 years ago, I spoke to the guy organising it and he said they'd had about 3 times the footfall compared to previous years. Then they expanded it to February as well and that too was successful. Now the accountants get involved and as usual they don't actually understand the process so decide to squeeze as much revenue out of the event as possible, so start charging the clubs to attend - forgetting that its the CLUBS that make the show!

Secondly, apart from Telford, who in their right mind wants to spend their entire weekend at a show that is miles from any sort of reasonable accommodation (I'm too old to be camping in February!) plus we have jobs during the week so need some time for ourselves!

This is sadly a ridiculous idea and I will no longer be attending, even though I have really enjoyed previous shows.

I was born and bred in Dorset, and we don't all live in straw huts still:D. Seriously though there is plenty of accommodation to be found, out of season there should be lots of vacant holiday accommodation around, cottages etc. If you want more the modern sort of hotel then there are plenty in the nearby Poole area, there are also plenty of nice pubs that offer rooms in the Wool area.

I think the problems mentioned here about the show are just yet another example of typically poor British management.

As Kallisti said; 'it's the CLUBS that make the show!'

IPMS Avon put it to the vote after a lengthy discussion last night and took the decision NOT to attend.

Nick

1 hour ago, Nick Belbin said:

As Kallisti said; 'it's the CLUBS that make the show!'

IPMS Avon put it to the vote after a lengthy discussion last night and took the decision NOT to attend.

Nick

Not according to the man whose company I had for the weekend, some organiser told him there would be no show without the traders and that's been his bible since. Perhaps the traders should contribute more?:blahblahblah:

7 minutes ago, chris57 said:

Not according to the man whose company I had for the weekend, some organiser told him there would be no show without the traders and that's been his bible since. Perhaps the traders should contribute more?:blahblahblah:

4 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

You really cannot have one with out the other !!

Beef and Yorkshire pud 

Chis57 Your guy is a little wide  of the mark you couldn't  have a model show with just traders as it wouldn't be a " Model Show," then the clue is in the title.

Traders rely on the modellers more for their income. Little Johnnie or Jessie visiting with Mom/Dad or both will see something they like on a Club display and may get bought the kit probably even just a starter kit. Not much income for your average Trader no matter how many attend. Modellers will attend with a shopping list, bulging wallet if they are lucky and an eye for a bargain. Lots of income for the trader. Can't have on without the other for a good show.  

A email has gone out with the revised  forms on 

Also if a club cannot attend both days then one day is ok