More Douglas A-26 Invader questions! Now a JD-1 question!

RidgeRunner

Martin,

Check out this photo I just found; it appears to be a gun-nosed A-26, but direct your attention to the RH engine; see the four outlets connected to the two exhaust pipes? Confirms the two into four at that point, but still doesn't reveal whether or not those two pipes are fed by more than two cylinders. I still wonder how the front and rear row of cylinders are connected to the exhaust outlets. (All right, worms- back in the can!)

Mike

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/265149496790578476/?utm_campaign=category_rp&e_t=bfe73c3465ca48a9a8ee3ab13668c308&utm_content=265149496790578476&utm_source=31&utm_term=4&utm_medium=2012

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:04 PM, RidgeRunner said:

A further question: in TB-26 and JD-1s, was there a seat arrangement in the rear compartment for the winch operator? I guess so?

Martin

After the Chilean Tow Target Invader fiasco, tell Martin I ain't speaking to him....ha! Seriously, there might be something in the B-26/TB-26 manual link that was posted by another BM'er a while back. (I still love ya, man!)

Mike

12 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

After the Chilean Tow Target Invader fiasco, tell Martin I ain't speaking to him....ha! Seriously, there might be something in the B-26/TB-26 manual link that was posted by another BM'er a while back. (I still love ya, man!)

Mike

Do tell us more, I've been wanting to do a Chilean Target Tug Invader for a long time...

• Haha 1

Sorry Mike. I did say I wondered if it was USAF. I didn't say it was. As it turned out a friend guided me to the operator. Apologies if it sent you off on a trail wrongly.

Wez - I'll get my research done and can then give you an update. My build of this is coming along now, the research being mainly for the markings now. I've just finished building the TT gear. Where I am cheating is with the cable drum arrangement. I can't find any images of this and as it will be sealed within the bowels of the fuselage I'm not trying the represent it.

if all goes well I'll have three Latin Invaders done over the next few weeks, hence the cannon questions earlier. 

If you need a good shot of a Chilean TB-26 you'll find one in "Foreign Invaders" by Dan Hagerdorn. An excellent book. The net has a few others but not any of good quality.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
Added input

6 hours ago, Wez said:

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Mike

Do tell us more, I've been wanting to do a Chilean Target Tug Invader for a long time...

I'm sure you're right, Mike. I'll give them a look :)... Thanks for the steer....

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

9 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Sorry Mike. I did say I wondered if it was USAF. I didn't say it was. As it turned out a friend guided me to the operator. Apologies if it sent you off on a trail wrongly.

Wez - I'll get my research done and can then give you an update. My build of this is coming along now, the research being mainly for the markings now. I've just finished building the TT gear. Where I am cheating is with the cable drum arrangement. I can't find any images of this and as it will be sealed within the bowels of the fuselage I'm not trying the represent it.

if all goes well I'll have three Latin Invaders done over the next few weeks, hence the cannon questions earlier. 

If you need a good shot of a Chilean TB-26 you'll find one in "Foreign Invaders" by Dan Hagerdorn. An excellent book. The net has a few others but not of any good quality.

Martin

Martin,

Thanks for that, it was seeing the picture of the Chilean target tug in Foreign Invader that piqued my interest in it as a subject.  As I already had FCM Decal sheet 72-31 which provides options for Brazilian, a Columbian and a Chilean Invader I had the insignia and could match the numerals from generic numeral sheets I thought it would be quite straightforward when I got around to it.

6 minutes ago, Wez said:

Martin,

Thanks for that, it was seeing the picture of the Chilean target tug in Foreign Invader that piqued my interest in it as a subject.  As I already had FCM Decal sheet 72-31 which provides options for Brazilian, a Columbian and a Chilean Invader I had the insignia and could match the numerals from generic numeral sheets I thought it would be quite straightforward when I got around to it.

Pretty much like me, Wez. I have the FCM set as well as another (Delta Decals) I just got from the well known auction site that covers clandestine Invaders. In addition I have one that'll be home produced in terms of markings. 

Sorry again if I led anyone astray with my badge question. Not intended.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Pretty much like me, Wez. I have the FCM set as well as another (Delta Decals) I just got from the well known auction site that covers clandestine Invaders. In addition I have one that'll be home produced in terms of markings. 

Sorry again if I led anyone astray with my badge question. Not intended.

Martin

Oh, good grief Martin- I was just yanking your chain! I've got no room to criticize, as the only Invader I have built so far is the good ole Monogram box scale kit when I was nine- that was 60 years ago...you do the math!

Mike

Ah, that's a relief :).....

odd fact: I remember being in San Antonio in May 1979 and there was an Invader parked at the airport lookimg a little sorry for itself. It was a civil machine, Mexican registered. 

all the best,

Martin

17 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Ah, that's a relief :).....

odd fact: I remember being in San Antonio in May 1979 and there was an Invader parked at the airport lookimg a little sorry for itself. It was a civil machine, Mexican registered. 

all the best,

Martin

I think I remember seeing that one- was it blue and white? When Dee Howard was still in business, he did Lodestar, Ventura, A-26, and B-25 civil conversions, plus the Howard 500, which was a heavily modified Ventura/Harpoon...one of the fastest corporate prop jobs, IIRC. Do a search on the internet for it to see photos and details. I seem to recall  there was some topic discussion a while back on doing a Howard 500 conversion. Hope you enjoyed your time here in SA! Did you get out to Lackland AB to see all of the aircraft they have parked all around? Some pretty rare birds- wish they could get them inside and put into accurate colors and markings.

Mike

• Like 1

Hi ?Mike,

I have an an image of it somewhere. I'll dig it out. If I recall there was at least one natural metal Navion alongside it. 

Yes, I got to Lackland, visited Kelly AFB and the ALC. I remember the XC -99 and a C-45 languishing in some long grass and looking very forlorn.  I also remember a JF-105 at Lackland. That was nice.

I was on a guided tour for two weeks Houston-Harlingen-San Antonio-Tucson-Phoenix-Houston. Unfortunately the Continental 727 flight to Tucson via El Paso still rates as my worst ever flight! No reflection on San Antonio! We took off as a thunderstorm hit and then had 20 minutes banging around through blackened skies. It really was horrendous. The cabin crew were panicking and the Captain was getting everyone to buckle up tight. I love Texas. I've been a few times in my life. A nice part of the US in my view. ;).

best regards,

Martin

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:36 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Hi ?Mike,

I have an an image of it somewhere. I'll dig it out. If I recall there was at least one natural metal Navion alongside it. 

Yes, I got to Lackland, visited Kelly AFB and the ALC. I remember the XC -99 and a C-45 languishing in some long grass and looking very forlorn.  I also remember a JF-105 at Lackland. That was nice.

I was on a guided tour for two weeks Houston-Harlingen-San Antonio-Tucson-Phoenix-Houston. Unfortunately the Continental 727 flight to Tucson via El Paso still rates as my worst ever flight! No reflection on San Antonio! We took off as a thunderstorm hit and then had 20 minutes banging around through blackened skies. It really was horrendous. The cabin crew were panicking and the Captain was getting everyone to buckle up tight. I love Texas. I've been a few times in my life. A nice part of the US in my view. ;).

best regards,

Martin

Hi Mike!

Here is that Invader

SanAntonio1
Best regards,

Martin

Martin,

Well, I'll be- that's the one I remember! The fence in the foreground separated the Dee Howard ramp from the yard in front of my late grandfather's house- he was director of airport maintenance in the 50-60's, and the city provided a house on the airport property. I used to get my bum snacked by my parents for getting out on the ramp to check out all the surplus military types parked all around, and the Dee Howard people used to haul me back to my parents when they caught me. Couldn't get away with that nowadays, but it was heaven for a young airplane fanatic...A-26's, B-25's, Lodestars, J2F's, C-45's, T-6's, and BT-13's parked all around...sigh, those were the days! I also remember a  two stage Merlin-engine Mossie in pale blue paint with an N-number that was used in the filming of 633 Squadron that used to be parked outside and sometimes in the American Airlines air freight hangar; as I recall, it had fake .303's attached to the clear nose cap, which had been painted over to resemble an FBVI! 

Mike

Did some research, and I think the Mossie I described above was a PR34, serialled FG300, which was derelict in San Antonio in 1969, purchased by the then Confederate Air Force, and broken up in 1975 for parts. The Mossie's original owner was Amman Aeronautical, a photo mapping/survey outfit based in San Antonio that evidently had several Mosquitos of various marques. IIRC,  American got title to the airplane as the  owner could not pay the storage fees for the use of their hangar, and put the airplane up for sale....I'm guessing it had deteriorated so badly that it was only worth scrapping for its Merlins and other useful parts.

Edited by 72modeler
added additional information

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:27 AM, 72modeler said:

what I was trying to figure out was how the  individual exhaust ports from the 18 cylinders in the two rows was combined/trunked/siamesed into four groups of four exhaust outlets on each side of the cowling, for a total of 32 exhaust outlets

I'm a bit late to this but I've just reached the appropriate stage in my 1/48 Monogram A-26 build, so this might help.  The Quickboost engine set includes separate sections for the cooling gills, with the exhausts inside.  There are nine groups of four pipes, which match the much rougher versions in the kit itself.  That is of course two pipes for each cylinder - a much less complicated plumbing job.  It still leaves the question of why there should be two pipes for each cylinder, but something similar can be seen, for instance, in the exhaust options for the Special Hobby P-39.  Probably many others too.  Another interesting feature is that there are two groups of exhaust pipes close together at the 1 o'clock position (looking towards the engine from the front), which are reflected in the channels on the nacelle over which the exhaust blows.

I've my own question on the Invader's engine area, for which I'll start a separate thread.

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks Sean. In the end I used the references you see posted and took a best guess. I'll look up you post, even so.

Martin

Martin,

After reading Pigsty's post, I was going crazy trying to wrap my poor little brain around how nine groups of an even number of exhaust stacks would be routed around the cowling, so I did some searching and found a review of the Quickboost cowlings/engines that Pigsty described, on the IPMS/USA website. which I have listed below as a link. Click on the middle photo of the three to enlarge it and voila, (That's French for Hot Damn!) it all makes sense, now! IIRC, the reason for siamesed or doubled exhaust stacks from a single cylinder is to reduce the size of the exhaust outlet and therefore reduce the flaring or flame visible from the rear. Thanks, Pigsty! Guess I need to get the Quickboost engines/cowlings for my A-26/B-26 builds after seeing them.

Mike

http://www.ipmsusa.org/reviews/Details/Aircraft/quickboost_48/sbd_a26_engines.htm

• Like 1