AZ Model Morane 'WR'...or is it...?

OK...to explain...I didn't read the fine print on the instructions when I thought, "I yeah...I'll do the Swedish one..."

The Swedish aircraft was not the Morane 'WR'...it was the MS 3G Thulin B.  I discovered this when I went to modify the wings for the WR (sawed off sections of the ribs) as instructed and then later that day noticed that the Thulin did not have the shorter wingspan. :rage: Luckily I didn't pitch out the removed sections so they have now been glued back on.  Phew!

I have also found some excellent photos of the real thing from a museum so I might try to replicate that...I'll post a photo or two in the chat thread.  But for now...

I removed the resin floats from their sprue and cleaned them up.  Same with the prop, etc...

Construction is basic.  I have built this kit before when it was a Pflaz (Az Models also) back then...the moulds are pretty much the same.  Basic Gnome-shaped motor, cockpit essentials...I may try to improve them a bit since you can see inside pretty well.  

I tried my hand at some rib detail...not so bad, not the best.  I primed it with Humbrol Desert Sand rattle can and then airbrushed MrKit French Doped Linen on top.  And as I write this I am suddenly aware that I have cleaned and painted the wrong motor!  

So it begins...with a sense of humour and some humility...as it should.

24544697248_aedf4a2a8f_z_d.jpg%C2%A0

--JDCM

• Like 4

Hi John,

Welcome to your second build in GB! Good save on the wings and good progress. It's a beautiful looking monoplane. I'm looking forward to seeing it taking shape.

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

Lovely to see another early type being built. Like Ian and you I too can remove parts that I should not, after having laboriously made them sometimes! That engine really looks the part so if you do not use it on this model it can be used elsewhere.

P

Did a little bit last night and this morning...

Fixed the wings the other day...thanks for the compliments on the save...a lucky break, as Roald Dahl would say...

Cleaned up, painted and pin-washed the correct engine...

Installed the seat/cockpit/control panel...

Masked and painted the whiter sections of the wings to better match the museum example...Vallejo 'Ivory'...

primed the floats...ready for the woodgrain effects!

This evening I will close up the fuselage and clean that up with some putty (there are some small gaps...)  I will probably clean up the struts too.  I need to dig around the drawers for some nice big 'S' decals.  I think I've got some somewhere.  I go to Athens on Sunday for a two-day photoshoot so I'll try to get as much done in the next two days as I can.  I would like to make this machine as close to the museum aircraft as possible.  I may not accomplish all the age-ed weathering, but I know in the end, I will like it.  I hope you do too!

37590488675_53063e051a_z_d.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks fellows...I guess I work at a certain pace.  Maybe fast...but this thing has so few parts.  Tomorrow I go to Athens until Wednesday, so no work until I get home.

I'll do some today, basic stuff, but then let it sit for a while and cure.

I found some decals for the big 'S'....but they are not actually as big as the original.  I may have to use them anyway.  They are all I've got.  Images to come...

• Like 1

A quick update before I head off-island until Wednesday eve...

I have cleaned up and painted all the major pieces of the kit.  Fuselage, wings, motor, floats (front and back), struts, cowling and cheeks...

The cowling, struts and cheeks all needed some sanding to make them presentable and then I painted them with Vallejo Glossy Black.  The stuff is like printing ink so I thinned it with a bot of airbrush cleaner.  Worked great!  Just glossy enough although the picture doesn't show it. 

The floats were augmented with some 'runners' on the underside made with thin Evergreen strips.  Then I tinted with Vallejo Woodgrain, then one that with Tamiya Clear yellow.  The same with the front of the fuselage--prop too.  The front seems to be wooden ply in the museum photo, so that's what I have done.  

Engine is Vallejo aluminum, then pin washed with dirty oil.  Hmmm...anything else?  When I get back from Athens I'll drill some rigging holes, assemble the pieces, clean up some bits, rig it up, and Bob's yer Uncle!  I'll be onto the Gladiator for the Matchbox GB by next Sunday.

As you see...the 'S' decals will not be as large as the museum example but it is the best I have to work with.  I'll check in the LHS in Athens to see if they have anything better, but I doubt they will.  So...for your perusal...

24642034388_d4b082cbcf_z_d.jpg

--JDCM

• Like 5

Yes thanks...at 1/72nd there really isn't any 'grain' so to speak.  It is more accurate to give a tonal structure that varies a bit.  I also tried to use the clear yellow to give it a more honied-spruce look instead of the orange.  I would guess they used spruce...

I will also give the cowling and cheeks a little wash of dark burnt bronze to simulate what the museum piece seems to be...almost black painted brass, or is that my imagination?

The fun part will be painting the black trim...yes...fun...:hypnotised:

• Like 2

Ok...a little more done.

The holes are drilled in the wings for rigging.  I have also mounted the engine, cowling, an cowling cheeks.  I have drilled two holes on either side of the fuselage for cooling vents.  I'll slip small bits of tube in there later.  The gap between the cowling and fuselage was pretty wide so I have filled that with putty and set it aside to dry.

I have painted the black stripes along the fuselage to the best of my ability.  I taped them off snuggly and then applied the paint, which then bled under the tape...damn.

So I spent a good hour cleaning it up once it was dry.  For me, this is what I hate the most--these black lines.  I hope that once I give it some weathering they won't look so c$#&*py...I should have used the airbrush.  Next time.

37934480584_3e15b9f4a4_z_d.jpg

• Like 1

The black lines on those early French machines are a pain in the *!**!! Try brushing them with a hairy stick freehand...... Even worse is when they are on the wings - black transfer strip is not an answer either. Yours do not look too bad and the cowling is very good.

P

• Thanks 1

And more to show and talk about...

After some cursing and mild frustration, the landing gear and floats are on as is the upper support for the rigging.  I added a small bit of Evergreen to the tail for stabilizer support.  The upper rigging support has been given a bit of half-round tube to facilitate the rigging...and so it goes.  I'll clean up the joints on the wing repair before it is finished...not to worry!  Today I will add the stabilizers and rudder and the rigging support on the underside.  

For your perusal...

38770355772_6a8a9cfa41_z_d.jpg

38770353882_ee052e9bce_z_d.jpg

38084699554_cb7b281ff4_z_d.jpg

38084700874_4f71538efb_z_d.jpg

I am still not sold on the 'S' markings from the museum example.  I may use the kit Swedish flags, decals, etc...

--John

• Like 3

Thanks guys...I will add some more pictures today.  

For now I have added some control horns on the tail feathers using brass wire and they are attached.  I will also add the the rear float today or tonight.  I also want to make some more convincing looking connections for the landing gear float attachments, you know...those ,little brass bits that fold over the float on the side...you'll see.  I'll use some Evergreen card for that.  Once all of this is in place, I will touch up the paint, and then....decals and rigging! 

24958211618_385f62df92_z_d.jpg

38800016422_02ed8874bc_z_d.jpg

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
addition
  • Like 3

Just catching up, and I must write that the wood effect on the floats is truly fantastic. It is something which is not easy to achieve in any scale but you have pulled it off. The rest of the model looks very good too - much improved on the basic kit. Looking forward to seeing this i the gallery soon.

P