Hot Rod Hayride Model Shop Display

TonyW

The Hot Rod Hayride was a car show catering for fans of early American Hot Rods and Custom Cars. Now defunct, but in its day the finest Hot Rod car event in the UK. It's best years were when it was based at Bisley, the shooting venue. Beautiful old buildings on a site that time had forgotten, it was all a bit dream like.

One year I was invited to display some of my US car collection in one of the old buildings on site, a 1930's wooden built dorm. 

The display was part of an Art Show put on for the event. My bit took up part of one end of the building, the rest was filled with paintings, posters, sculpture and so on. It all proved very popular with the crowd.

The organiser of the Art Show works at a big London art college in their workshops. He made up a flat pack shop front for me to build on site as a Model Shop.

Here's how it looked on the Monday before the show...

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2067-1.jpg

... and on the Tuesday after a coat of paint or two...

IMG_2069-1.jpg

Evenings were spent at home renovating old builds of mine. Time ran out really fast here.

I like old point of sale shop displays. The real thing can get a bit pricey, so I make my own!

hayride_4.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

Old models got a dusting and the inevitable breakages mended...

IMG_1778.jpg

A ton of frantic effort got things ready for the show opening on Saturday. The last bits and pieces went into the display late Friday evening!

Here's how it looked over the duration of the show...

Hayride_1.jpg

Hayride_2.jpg

hayride_3.jpg

By Monday, the whole thing was history. The 'Shop' was donated to one of the exhibits on site, The Bisley Trench Experience, and used to show some of their trench art collection.

The whole building has been torn down since and Bisley itself is in the process of bloody modernising itself.

My stuff went back into storage, where it still sits, awaiting me building a model shed at our new place.

Tony. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mbdesignart said:

Excellent POS displays, they really show off the models. 

I love the things!

I only own one real one, this Monogram Cadillac one, bought on early Ebay in the old dial up days. 

caddy_dd_2.jpg

Monogram car kits got me into collecting as opposed to building many years ago. Once you start gathering boxes, they seem to lack  something without a built model to go with them. That attitude has doubled up my collecting though!

Here's most of the motorized Monogram early kits, a riot of colour. They also came without the electric motors, in smaller boxes.

I have built examples to go with this lot, in storage unfortunately.

motorized_monogram.jpg

• Like 2

Fond memeories of shooting at Bisley in a place were time seemed to have stood still, remember doing the smallbore shoot weekend there when one of the hotrod shows was on, place was packed.

By the way the shop display is brilliant

• 1 month later...