This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Folkbox1

Primer for brushing

Hi all, a bit of advice please.  I have decided (for lack of work space etc) to take up doing planes in 144th scale.  I don't have the time or space to get my airbrush out and plan to do them all by brush.  I don't want to use a rattle can primer for similar reasons (space, overspray, smell etc) so need a good primer that I can paint on with a brush.  I have some Tamiya base white which I thought may be suitable but seems to not stick to the plastic very well.  I have a couple of jars of Mr Surfacer (can't remember the grades off the top of my head).

What's a good brush friendly primer to use on aircraft models.  Could I go outside and spray primer from a can into a jar and then apply it with a brush?

Thanks

I'm experimenting these days with Vallejo's range of primers, that come in black, grey, white and other colours. I mainly spray them with an airbrush but according to the guy who sold them (who is also a modeller) they brush pretty well and my tests seem to confirm this. These primers seem to be quite "self-levelling", don't seem to leave brush marks and they sure adhere well to plastic.

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

I'm experimenting these days with Vallejo's range of primers, that come in black, grey, white and other colours. I mainly spray them with an airbrush but according to the guy who sold them (who is also a modeller) they brush pretty well and my tests seem to confirm this. These primers seem to be quite "self-levelling", don't seem to leave brush marks and they sure adhere well to plastic.

Thanks Giorgio

I thought I had some Vallejo primer in my paint stash but couldn't find it on Sunday.  I will have another root around to see, if not I think I can get some near where i work

Thanks for the review, Giorgio. :thumbsup2: I've taken to spraying my rattle cans out in the car park, unless it's raining, in which case I just put up with living in a cloud for an hour or so. The Vallejo primers sound well worth a try. 

Another vote for the Vallejo primers. I've found they go on very nicely with a brush.