Primer for brushing

Folkbox1

Hi all, a bit of advice please.  I have decided (for lack of work space etc) to take up doing planes in 144th scale.  I don't have the time or space to get my airbrush out and plan to do them all by brush.  I don't want to use a rattle can primer for similar reasons (space, overspray, smell etc) so need a good primer that I can paint on with a brush.  I have some Tamiya base white which I thought may be suitable but seems to not stick to the plastic very well.  I have a couple of jars of Mr Surfacer (can't remember the grades off the top of my head).

What's a good brush friendly primer to use on aircraft models.  Could I go outside and spray primer from a can into a jar and then apply it with a brush?

Thanks

I'm experimenting these days with Vallejo's range of primers, that come in black, grey, white and other colours. I mainly spray them with an airbrush but according to the guy who sold them (who is also a modeller) they brush pretty well and my tests seem to confirm this. These primers seem to be quite "self-levelling", don't seem to leave brush marks and they sure adhere well to plastic.

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

I'm experimenting these days with Vallejo's range of primers, that come in black, grey, white and other colours. I mainly spray them with an airbrush but according to the guy who sold them (who is also a modeller) they brush pretty well and my tests seem to confirm this. These primers seem to be quite "self-levelling", don't seem to leave brush marks and they sure adhere well to plastic.

Thanks Giorgio

I thought I had some Vallejo primer in my paint stash but couldn't find it on Sunday.  I will have another root around to see, if not I think I can get some near where i work

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2017 at 10:36, Giorgio N said:

On 11/17/2017 at 00:34, Meteors said:

Another vote for the Vallejo primers. I've found they go on very nicely with a brush.

Been after some brush-on primer myself because of the weather and it just being more convenient usually, i had some Citadel Imperial Primer before but it ended up being extremely thin, bubbly and would just pool together and even multiple coats didn't help. I've had a look at the Vallejo Black primer but i can't find too much about it, how many coats does it typically need? Would it also do the same job as using a black spray so both priming it and undercoating (the shading) at the same time, or would i also then have to paint black over that as well?

6 hours ago, TheVoidDragon said:

Been after some brush-on primer myself because of the weather and it just being more convenient usually, i had some Citadel Imperial Primer before but it ended up being extremely thin, bubbly and would just pool together and even multiple coats didn't help. I've had a look at the Vallejo Black primer but i can't find too much about it, how many coats does it typically need? Would it also do the same job as using a black spray so both priming it and undercoating (the shading) at the same time, or would i also then have to paint black over that as well?

I haven't used it on any large areas or for a whole model like a tank or spaceship, I've mainly used it on small pieces of equipment that I forgot about or needed to be done separately. I've found one coat does nicely as a simple primer, though I was using lighter colours than black, but I would imagine that a black would probably be good for shading too. See if you can pick up one of the small 17 ml bottles as a tester.

Same here, as I airbsuh larger surfaces, I've only used the primer with a brush on small parts. The black covers well enough, as a primer I'm happy with one coat, for a proper black finish I'll probably go for two coats. It's quite "liquid" so lends itself well to light coats.

In general I'm not sure I'd like this primer for a proper black surface, when I airbrushed my Starfighter I found that the final result would have not been that realistic for a black painted model, so I'd probably have one coat of black primer followed by one coat of another black paint (at the moment I use Lifecolor's but could be any other paint)

• 3 months later...

So i recently decided to just get some Vallejo black primer to try that anyway, and so far it definitely seems to be better than Citadel Imperial Primer, at least!

I'm not quite sure if i'm using it right though. How many coats is it meant to require, and what should the initial consistency be with it? Should i should be able to see some of the plastic through it still, or should it be a coat that makes it all fully black? Watching this video here he puts it on thick enough so you can't see the plastic underneath as he puts it on (so just one coat), is that how it's supposed to be?

I