Airfix/MPC Monkeemobile

TonyW

Hey Hey, we're the Monkee's!!!!

A restored original kit. Beat to death and needing all the help it could get. 

It's a red plastic, first issue Airfix version. There are differences that are important to us collectors! There's a Dean Jeffries badge on the front fender on the first ones, along with a couple of GTO ones. Little things, but fascinating if you're that way inclined.

IMG_1316.jpg

The Monkee script on the door is an aftermarket one, brand forgotten, that didn't quite go on as planned. Beautiful to look at but a swine to fit. Incredibly thin and very fragile, mine started to loose the gold backing. A bit of paint touch up might help but the proper fix would be to do it again.

The redline tires were done by putting the wheels in my cordless drill and slowly spinning them. A thin paint pen from an art shop touched onto the sidewall did the rest.

The exhaust stacks poking out the fenders were missing on this one. I used a few bits of ally tube to fix that.

The roof changed colour on the real car over the programe run. White first, tan later. A mate did his car in white, so I did mine tan for a change.

Here's the done thing with an original mint in the box kit and a few promo pictures and flyers...

IMG_1305_copy.jpg

Tony.

• Like 11

That’s lovely.locely gloss red finish and good scratch build on those pipes...shame about the slight defect in the decal on the door...perhaps one of those gold paint pens with a very thin nib might make a good repair?

Superb! I remember these when I watched the Monkees on TV in the day, memories!

9 hours ago, sennapod said:

That’s lovely.locely gloss red finish and good scratch build on those pipes...shame about the slight defect in the decal on the door...perhaps one of those gold paint pens with a very thin nib might make a good repair?

The red is brush painted Humbrol enamel. It's old paint, probably sixties or early seventies. It seems to flow out much better than more recent stuff. Brushmarks dissapear into a glassy smooth finish if you don't overbrush too much. One thing I've never managed is to keep dust off the finish before it dries. I've tried everything, there's always a speck or two to wind me up though. It's a pain as enamel won't flat and polish back to its first gloss.